Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Maps should make each game different expiriance because gamers should adjust their strategies to map atributes. Maps should have more and less fertile places for farms, animals which are difficult to hunt, local minor enemies allies and neutrals, even hordes and pirates to invade map periodicly. That way maps should matter. Current state is bad- maps aspect is underestimated.

Maps always kind of matter. Playing on the savanna map with the spread out trees and elephants everywhere isn't quite the same as playing on the jungle map with tigers and stuff.

• Like 1

Maps always kind of matter. Playing on the savanna map with the spread out trees and elephants everywhere isn't quite the same as playing on the jungle map with tigers and stuff.

Agree Just wrote few ideas to make them matter much more.

Edited by gracian

I'm all for making maps more interesting, I suppose.

I've actually suggested a few ideas similar to your own in the past.

So.. hmm, we as long as we agree that maps aren't 100% stale right now, then it's fine I guess. carry on my gracious fellow.

something worth noting is that anyone can make their own maps though. so maybe have a stab at the atlas editor. it's not too hard actually, that tool is quite powerful.

A technology tree would be great to have. The game is very complex technologically, and since every civ has different techs and units, it'd be great to plan ahead and build strategies, as well as knowing what to upgrade (for newer players). Also, it'll be more user friendly to RTS players and everyone in general if they don't have to play lots of games to find a favorite civ to play. Sure it won't take much time, and it'll also be good to have the balance changes noted in every version so you can see all the differences in one place from within the game.

A technology tree would be great to have. The game is very complex technologically, and since every civ has different techs and units, it'd be great to plan ahead and build strategies, as well as knowing what to upgrade (for newer players). Also, it'll be more user friendly to RTS players and everyone in general if they don't have to play lots of games to find a favorite civ to play. Sure it won't take much time, and it'll also be good to have the balance changes noted in every version so you can see all the differences in one place from within the game.

I think totally opposite: Do not chew game for players, let them explore it, they will love it much more. Do not provide them shortcuts, because they will get bored much faster. The less information they get, the more information they find out themselves,the better.

Edited by gracian

I think totally opposite: Do not chew game for players, let them explore it, they will love it much more. Do not provide them shortcuts, because they will get bored much faster. The less information they get, the more information they find out themselves,the better.

The tech tree is information that allows players to understand what unlocks what, it's actually really fundamental information for an RTS. The reason people play RTS isn't to discover tech trees it's to play around with what's in the said tech trees. Knowing what goes where allows players to get the information they need to start playing around more quickly. I can easily imagine someone getting frustrated because they don't know what they need to get certain units or technologies.

Luckily we have well-written tool tips which mostly helps us out with that.

• Like 1

Some games do have it, some do not. I did not like it in AoM.

It shows too much.

Still i think that should not be included, for earlier arguments. At least in the beginning you should choose nation because of your fondness for it and your knowledge of its history. Not because of tech tree.

Even worse i think game should never give you exact number of villagers working on certain resource at moment, and some other info also.

explore, discover, check, count

Tech tree is in no way fundamental.

Totally agree there re some easy-to-frustrate gamers. Let them drive GTA

Opinions are meant to differ :))

The problem is that you can't objectively state that an RTS game should have this feature or not have this feature based off your personal preferences. Some play the game for the pleasure of base building and having a little story during their game: I did that a lot in the past as a kid.

However other people play RTS to win games / develop strategies. I completely disagree that someone would have to manually count workers per resources or something since that gets in the way of the meat of RTS gaming: strategy, micro, macro, that sort of thing.

People may end frustrated; especially since its a free game. It is unfortunate, but I feel people tend to have less patience with free games and we want as high a number of players as possible for this. Anyway, a TT is standard for all RTS games. Why miss out on it? There is no particular benefit to not having it in there. AND, 0AD ; to me feels unchained from the DRM and long loading times of most other games. You can access it easily, no DRM and signing into 5 accounts needed and you can play. Keeping with that easy to get(free to download and DRM-free for activation since it doesn't require it, MT free as well), easy to access(no signing into access it); they should add something that makes it easy to get into the game mechanically. Ie, something that'll allow people to pick the game, and allow them to make educated choices from the get go.

Hello,

My name is Helder lopes, and I'm here to say as a historical lover, I want to congratulate you, for this wonderful game, for a open source I cand say that its prefect, I hope, that you continue.. This game will surpass, all RTS that I play... and Im not just talking for Historical but the graphics an ambient... you are in this in congratulations... Ok, now, the critics... In my opinion, you and all RTS games, that make game about ancient ages, for get is the Oriental Empires, as China, Mongol, huns and India... I think your game will be more right if you dont for get this empires... China and Mongols have a important place in history... the same for Egypt, babylon and other's... but the important ones, are china, Mongols, huns and Indian and last Egypt... If you can put this ones on the game and the game will be complete... The game is awesome.. I really like it... good job...

And the Egyptians too...

Also the Huns come a few centuries later.

Babylon was conquered by Persia and the Mongols were nothing more than a small nomadic tribe (the became great during the Medieval times, not during the Ancient Times). And for China we have a mod called 'Rise of the East':

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19233

Edited by niektb
  • Like 2

Slave Unit idea

Slave Unit should be cheap, not available in first phase. It should be great in mining and not so good in constructing. It should be much more useful than other gatherers, and became core gathering unit (of Athens for example) in later phases. It should rebel and became hostile when no military units nearby to watch them.

Slaves can not be forgotten just because they re forgotten in previous rts games. They played an important role in this period- for example in Athenian democracy there were 4 slaves per 1 citizen.

i saw there was idea of slave unit, pity it was abandoned.

Edited by gracian

4 different kinds of gatherers in the game. That sounds great!But as it includes fishermen and trading, there re only 2 regular gatherers. Still better than 1.

villagers

infantry

cavalry

caravans

I dissociate infantry and cavalry as they don't function the same way at all. Fishing boats would make that 5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the game and I was impressed by the progress.

I have some criticism:

-density of trees is too low (add some dense forests for more wood)

-the dialogue of military units is always the same and annoying

-no advancing/changing buildings or units

-the fact that military soldiers can build and gather is a bit overpowered and not logical (soldiers are trained to kill and not to chop wood or construct buildings)

Compliments:

-I love the choice of music ,just beautiful

-unit and buildings are modelled very nicely

-overall graphics are amazing

-great map design

I don't want to offend anyone with my criticism ,I just want to help the game to develop

All in all its an amazing game and is very fun

More dense trees has performance implications, since the pathfinder currently needs to redone, but it is definitely planned for the future.

The dialogue is Ancient Greek, and is eventually planned to be each civilization's respective language.

It is true that buildings don't currently change between the phases, but most citizens rank up two ranks as they kill enemies.

Roman soldiers are known for building encampments, which is the historical basis for citizen-soldiers, and there are still dedicated military units in the form of champions.

• Like 1

so i finally installed 0ad on my laptop (school semester ended) but am still becoming accustomed to it. a couple things are discouraging me from playing the random maps, one more than the other: first, the game is sorely in need of customizable hotkeys (i like being able to find idle units instantly); second, i think the AI needs some balancing. even considering that i play rather slowly, every game against the Petra AI that i've done so far has always ended rather quickly with a large invasion. this seems like the same kind of problem with Empire Earth where the AI just collects resources and produces units at an arbitrarily fast pace

• Like 2

so i finally installed 0ad on my laptop (school semester ended) but am still becoming accustomed to it. a couple things are discouraging me from playing the random maps, one more than the other: first, the game is sorely in need of customizable hotkeys (i like being able to find idle units instantly); second, i think the AI needs some balancing. even considering that i play rather slowly, every game against the Petra AI that i've done so far has always ended rather quickly with a large invasion. this seems like the same kind of problem with Empire Earth where the AI just collects resources and produces units at an arbitrarily fast pace

I totally agree with more hotkeys and the ability to customize them. Especially hotkeys that allow me to cycle between various civic centers and barracks. I also would prefer to have two different idle keys; one for military units and one for female villagers.

The AI has a major problem in that it tends to idiotically rush a heavily fortified position. If you quickly get to the city phase, build two fortresses and fully garrison them, then the AI will waste all of its resources and units trying to take them down, even if they are unlikely to do so.

Are you playing on Hard or Very Hard? Hard is beatable as long as you are patient and retreat when it is best. Very Hard is a bit of a challenge, and it takes really good resource management/counter units/upgraded units to beat.

• Stan` featured this topic