Alpha 27 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

Spoiler

Write a poem about how hard it is to get meat in the winter. And that one can use fields to get other forms of food.

meta-llama:

In days of old, when winter's chill did reign,
Meat was a luxury, scarce and plain.
The frozen fields lay barren, void of life,
Leaving hunger pangs to plague our strife.

But fear not, for in those frozen lands,
There were still ways to feed our hands.
We turned to fields of grain and green,
Where other forms of sustenance were seen.

The wheat and oats we harvested with care,
Baked into bread, our bellies could bear.
And from the gardens, vegetables galore,
Stews and soups we made, and more.

In winter's grip, we found a way,
To survive each day, come what may.
For though meat was a rarity,
Our resourcefulness kept us in unity.

So let us cherish these fields of gold,
That give us life, both young and old.
For in their bounty, we find a way,
To thrive, even in winter's gray.

• Haha 1

Hello,   I am not "yet" involved in any development, but I just got the dev version of Alpha 0.27 yesterday following the instruction from here:https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

I am on Linux 22.04, so I followed the instruction here for the dependencies:

sudo apt-get install build-essential cargo cmake libboost-dev libboost-system-dev   \
    libboost-filesystem-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libenet-dev libfmt-dev   \
    libfreetype-dev libfreetype6 m4 libfreetype6-dev   \
    libgloox-dev libicu-dev libminiupnpc-dev libnvtt-dev libogg-dev   \
    libopenal-dev libpng-dev libsdl2-dev libsodium-dev libvorbis-dev   \
    libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libxml2-dev python rustc subversion zlib1g-dev

that only worked after changing the package "python" to "python-is-python3". So it might be needed to update the page.

I am not sure if that post belong here, but I could not find the right thread

Edited by zozio32

48 minutes ago, zozio32 said:

Linux 22.04

Mh, probably Ubuntu 22.04. python-is-python3 sounds like a package installing a symlink python pointing to python3 and the the package python-is-python3 just so depends on a package python3 which in turn depends on a package python3.10 for example. My guess the package python3 if it exists would be what you want.

Not sure what the canonical way to install python 3 on Ubuntu is but looking at the results of "apt search python" should probably make it obvious.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hyperion said:

Mh, probably Ubuntu 22.04. python-is-python3 sounds like a package installing a symlink python pointing to python3 and the the package python-is-python3 just so depends on a package python3 which in turn depends on a package python3.10 for example. My guess the package python3 if it exists would be what you want.

Not sure what the canonical way to install python 3 on Ubuntu is but looking at the results of "apt search python" should probably make it obvious.

to be honest, I just followed the option given in the terminal when the first command with only "python" in the list was passed. I had tried to install the python3 package separetely for other stuff much before, so I may have add something already.    Please let me know if someone needs or want more detail on this on my config to check if updating the webpage for the build isntruction is needed

0ad-silkroad.jpg.90cba5429959edbe7b5c10e8707238f8.jpg

Isn't the team bonus also applied to the player? So researching the tec would just be a waste of 1000 res?

Edit: Is it intended that on Danubius I can't capture most Gaia city buildings? Even if I press the dumb now required hotkey the attack icon won't change.

Edit 2: Those buildings aren't even recognized as hostile by my dumb soldiers. So instead of at least doing some random damage to whatever they just idle.

Edited by Gurken Khan

Do we have a working Alpha 27 for Mac yet? I remember reading that, when it first came out, we'd only be able to install it but it wouldn't run. I installed the "Debug" version, and it runs, but freezes when I try to start a game. Is that normal? Is there a working version?

As always, thank you all so much for all that you do!

12 minutes ago, allalongthetower said:

Do we have a working Alpha 27 for Mac yet? I remember reading that, when it first came out, we'd only be able to install it but it wouldn't run. I installed the "Debug" version, and it runs, but freezes when I try to start a game. Is that normal? Is there a working version?

Just for clarification: Alpha 27 isn't released yet, we have only release candidates :) Have you tried the ones mentioned in the first post? And which Apple platform do you have and which macOS version?

On 30/12/2023 at 8:04 PM, vladislavbelov said:

Just for clarification: Alpha 27 isn't released yet, we have only release candidates :) Have you tried the ones mentioned in the first post? And which Apple platform do you have and which macOS version?

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes, release candidates :-). I am running Sonoma 14.1.2. Thanks! Apple Silicon Based (ARM)

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Ok, I downloaded the non debug version (May 17, 2023) and, while I only left it open for a few seconds, it runs a game! Perfect. Thanks! @FreagarachWould you be able to port our "No Violence" Mod for Alpha 27, or do we wait for an official Alpha Release?

Thanks again, everyone! This community is SO helpful!

6 hours ago, allalongthetower said:

I think it's resolved! Thanks for your help!

Edited by allalongthetower
I thought a comment posted, but it didn't. I already posted a later comment which, I think, resolved this situation. Thanks!

On 01/01/2024 at 10:59 PM, allalongthetower said:

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes, release candidates :-). I am running Sonoma 14.1.2. Thanks! Apple Silicon Based (ARM)

Thank you!

On 02/01/2024 at 12:00 AM, allalongthetower said:

it runs a game! Perfect.

I'm glad it works :)