Alpha 27 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

10 minutes ago, Mercos said:

Is there some kind of testing macro? It would be nice If I could ship e.g. an AppImage together with a Macro onto different PC and other devices and could run a test case for you. May together with hw-probe (Linux devices) you may could get a lot of unified tests and may be able to detect more interesting details.

I'm not so into testing manually.

There isn't, but if you can provide a proof of concept why not.

difficult, Im not a evelopper. But I assume such:

1. I download a 0AD-Testing app.
    appimage or other. If you wish to use id more often may an updatable tool should be used. If you run the app
    1. a Dialog open
    2. try to find an installed 0AD may ask for the path.
    3. Check if the test-macro is up-to-date
      1. may Update the test-macro
      2. update tools required for that e.g. hw-probe
    4. Check if the 0AD meet the Requirements
    5. Run the Makro
  2. Run the Macro
    1. Do a hw-probe and save either the data or the Link.
    2. Do checks acording the needs
      e.g. described in:
      https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/107313-alpha-27-pre-releaserelease-candidate-build-testing/?do=findComment&comment=551150

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I captured a barrack as Han and couldn't produce archers; or maybe it was crossbow men, I don't remember. If I have a barrack what is the difference with supplying my dudes with bows or crossbows? Why are the options limited?

This is a general thing: I think captured buildings should give you the same options as buildings you built yourself. Is there actually any reason why that isn't the case?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I captured a barrack as Han and couldn't produce archers; or maybe it was crossbow men, I don't remember. If I have a barrack what is the difference with supplying my dudes with bows or crossbows? Why are the options limited?

This is a general thing: I think captured buildings should give you the same options as buildings you built yourself. Is there actually any reason why that isn't the case?

Yes, deliberate game design. In the past the only way to train a ram as Mauryan was to capture an enemy fort for instance. Feel free to discuss this in a dedicated thread. My personal take it is fine as is.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

Yes, deliberate game design. In the past the only way to train a ram as Mauryan was to capture an enemy fort for instance. Feel free to discuss this in a dedicated thread. My personal take it is fine as is.

yeah it's been discussed many times and we are still stuck whith a status quo that is unexpected and easily misunderstood, even by long term players. My opinion is that it would be much more intuitive and a lot more fun if buildings trained the same units regardless of who controls them (so one could train units from other civs if they conquered buildings from other civs).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

@vladislavbelov I literally did nothing in that game! I paused at the loading screen (as I usually do) and then just looked at the screen for a moment (deciding if I want to play that). I don't think I even moved the mouse. No unit selection, no order, no camera action...

I think some kind of steps were (according to mainlog.html):

1. Open the game
  2. Start Lower Nubia
  3. Exit to the main menu
  4. Start Alpine Lakes
  5. Pause the game

Do they make sense?

0ad-noview.jpg.246baf9c679b571a28b07990cb2668af.jpg

Just throwing it out: maybe something could be done with those overlays, because as it is I don't get a visual feedback when pressing those buttons to the left. (With the result shown in the next cycle and everything I often don't know if my click registered.)

On a completely different note: 0AD has ~always prevented the screensaver on Windows to come on, even when it's minimized in the task bar; if that could be changed that would be great.

• Like 1

@Vantha One healer wouldn't make the numbers fit.

He started with ten units, trained 70 and lost when his 80 units had been killed. Add the eleven livestock to the trained units and you get the numbers shown in the screenshots.

Edit: Like his Maurya pal in the line above him, there needs to be a difference of ten units trained/lost.

Edited by Gurken Khan
k/d is with "lost" units...

0ad-champion-centurions.jpg.5d5b3b8a96b23d339fb35754137610dc.jpg

"Champion Centurions". Great! Probably. Maybe. I can't find any information about that unit in the structure tree.

I suggest to find a place in the structure tree to describe that unit. Since the Romans don't have specific technologies there would be space in that column.

Edit: Or maybe where other civs have their trainer units.

Edited by Gurken Khan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I suggest to find a place in the structure tree to describe that unit. Since the Romans don't have specific technologies there would be space in that column.

I put it in civ bonuses, since its not a technology.

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D5083

I would think it much harder to get promotion units in the tech tree. And it might be a little cluttered to then show the promotion of cs units too.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Gurken Khan said:

Great! I still have only a vague idea what they (can) do, but I guess I'll learn it eventually.

Basically, when melee CS infantry reach rank 3, they may be upgraded at a smallish cost to centurions, which have an aura for surrounding units. The aura is damage for melee only, and decreased promotion xp for all units in the radius.