Jump to content

Building panel order


what order is better?  

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you prefer if they are sorted:

    • First by function (eco, trade, unit production, defense ect...) and then by strength / phase (left image)
    • First by phase and then by function (right image)


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

one question regarding the UI, specifically about the order the buildings are displayed in the building tab.

Do you prefer if they are sorted:

Left: First by function (eco, trade, unit production, defense ect...) and then by strength / phase

or

Right: First by phase and then by function

screenshot0701.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, nifa said:

what about sorting in columns by function and in lines by phase like this:

1. column is civic

2. economic

3. military

4. fortification

bm.png.a8034f6d375f92e40bb7e10176e076bb.png

I think this splits the baby relatively well. But, again, I don't care and will get used to whatever is decided by the people who actually care. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nifa said:

what about sorting in columns by function and in lines by phase like this:

1. column is civic

2. economic

3. military

4. fortification

bm.png.a8034f6d375f92e40bb7e10176e076bb.png

 function (eco, trade, unit production, defense etc...)  is pretty well and seems organized.

Edited by rossenburg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what this "man throwing a discus" is. I'm a noob i know :blush:
I start a new game:
If it is ordered by function i know it produces units and in is enabled on phase 2 or 3 (since it is disabled on phase 1)

If it is ordered by phase i know only that it is enabled on phase 2 or 3 (since it is between a building of phase 2 and one of phase 3)

Edited by phosit
Sent to soon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

I think this splits the baby relatively well. But, again, I don't care and will get used to whatever is decided by the people who actually care. 

well, it's basically the template/ classes order. I think it will mostly be an improvement for beginners

4 hours ago, maroder said:

Yes, but how do we fit that into the tab on our minimum resolution? :)

It's the same number of portraits in the same space. You can check, no change of the size. It would be 8 or 9 portraits per line instead of 10; but the columns are better filled up with 3 portraits, while in the original 7 out of 10 columns contain only 2 portraits.

bm2.png.38a995c0622cf21109d56828da494b91.png

Edited by nifa
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nifa said:

It's the same number of portraits in the same space. You can check, no change of the size. It would be 8 or 9 portraits per line instead of 10; but the columns are better filled up with 3 portraits, while in the original 7 out of 10 columns contain only 2 portraits.

bm2.png.38a995c0622cf21109d56828da494b91.png

does indeed look nice.

The next problem would be that you can select buildings at the same time as units:

screenshot0703.png

which makes it additionally harder to fit everything into separate columns. And we give the player no information about what building belongs in which phase, which might make it more difficult for new players to understand what to build to be able to phase up?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me 3 horizontal lines, one for each phase would be the best way (Phase > Function). In any case, muscle memory should be able to accept any other chosen pattern.

Edited by borg-
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, maroder said:

which makes it additionally harder to fit everything into separate columns

@maroder what about hotizontal arrangement of the same? Since we can have 4 rows, we can afford 4 categories. If possible then good else phase wise separation also looks good. Thanks...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maroder said:

The next problem would be that you can select buildings at the same time as units:

I don't know why someone should do that, but it's maybe in this case the pattern could be broken up?

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Major problem with this is for mods.

true, maybe also in this case the pattern could be inactive

2 hours ago, Darkcity said:

what about hotizontal arrangement of the same? Since we can have 4 rows, we can afford 4 categories. If possible then good else phase wise separation also looks good. Thanks...

 

2 hours ago, borg- said:

For me 3 horizontal lines, one for each phase would be the best way (Phase > Function). In any case, muscle memory should be able to accept any other chosen pattern.

the problem with differention by row is, that if 10 portraits fit into one row, with 11 buildings you would already need 2 rows and would have 9 unused spots in the second row. While with columns of 3, the need for space is less. If there are 4, then it would be 3 + 1, so only 2 unused spots. Also there are already 13 buildings for phase 1 for the Athenians e.g.

2 hours ago, maroder said:

And we give the player no information about what building belongs in which phase

One block for each phase:

bm3.png.df00aee6a9ddf190633bb7067a0afe84.png

 

Sorted by function, how it looks in village phase:

bmvillagephase.png.3e5acb1c1eaf4504690553e37ebc1bfb.png

How it looks in city phase:

bmcityphase.png.98fc9914d0869bbd085061e83999c191.png

so the late buildings are all downwards, i hope that'd be intuitive enough

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...