Making siege more interesting

Darkcity

I'm for siege not using up any population but needs some garrison. Rams and catapults don't eat food and don't need to sleep in buildings. However, in order to prevent too much spamming, we can add a condition that they are only functional if garrisoned with units. This would be more interesting to play with and you won't need to worry about deleting your units once you reach 200 population.

• Like 1

Sorry, real quick some off topic.

On 07/07/2022 at 12:38 AM, chrstgtr said:

For all you know, save for the couple dozen SPs that post on the forums regularly, the game has uninstalled by 9.999M people

According to some project leader (whose identity I won't reveal as it was in a pm) we have about 20k active weekly devices with opt-in autostats. Just as an idea what our active player base is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/07/2022 at 8:37 PM, chrstgtr said:

Have fun microing this when you make 3 rams mid battle, have to micro the exact number of units (away from the fight) to stand idle next to the siege factory (which will make your idle hot key way less useful), click your view away from the battle to see if the rams finished producing, click back to the battle because you looked too soon, click back away to the battle to see if the rams are ready, garrison the perfect number of units into 3 separate rams (no shift clicking because then you might over garrison and leave one or more rams immobile), manually direct the rams to wherever you want them to go (because rally points will no longer work for siege), click back to battle to see that half your army followed a retreating unit and now you’re dead. 

(This partly could be mitigated by allowing CS to construct siege on the battlefield.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

(This partly could be mitigated by allowing CS to construct siege on the battlefield.)

A bit. I still think it would be annoying micro to do the garrisoning

But I think that is a feature that would be nice civ feature. Can it be implemented now? Perhaps that would be a good civ bonus.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone, seems like something that goes well with the theme of the last mace team bonus

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

vs. maybe 1K in multiplayer lobby? 

See other thread. 

tl;dr - no one knows how long or how many people play, but the number is probably much lower than 20K total players at any one time, especially if you define players to mean people who aren't just trying out the game

17 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

See other thread. 

tl;dr - no one knows how long or how many people play, but the number is probably much lower than 20K total players at any one time, especially if you define players to mean people who aren't just trying out the game

20k total unique players in a week. How many on the lobby in that week? :) Can we determine how many multiplayer people "stick around" and aren't just trying out the game? Play 1 or 2 matches, get smurfed or otherwise massacred, then rage quit?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

20k total unique players in a week. How many on the lobby in that week? :) Can we determine how many multiplayer people "stick around" and aren't just trying out the game? Play 1 or 2 matches, get smurfed or otherwise massacred, then rage quit?

On 10/07/2022 at 9:15 AM, Stan` said:

From what I could gather after a one hour search it seems to be only people who have it installed. Which is, to us at least a very useless metric.

Read the convo--that 20K metric appears to be just the number of people with the game installed. There are also a ton of other considerations that the surface level data doesn't come close to considering.

My whole point is that the "SP has more players" argument lacks evidence. I have never tried to make the inverse argument as it lacks evidence for the same reasons. 

21 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

that would be easy, if you only count ranked. the discord bot records all the lobby chat, which includes all the rating bot messages, which in turn includes all the nicknames that play a ranked game. second accountd ofc would be recorded as separate players.

1 hour ago, alre said:

that would be easy, if you only count ranked. the discord bot records all the lobby chat, which includes all the rating bot messages, which in turn includes all the nicknames that play a ranked game. second accountd ofc would be recorded as separate players.

sooo it isn't easy to count then? lots of people around with a weird smurf fetish. And i think the people that are actually playing competitively is well below 40 ppl. The rest often get instakicked from games or are smurfs anyway so you always end up with the same bunch. The rest of the lobby are mostly buddies playing together in a relatively relaxed setting.

Edited by Grapjas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...