Jump to content

New a25 release schedule


Recommended Posts

@Angen@Freagarach@Stan`@wraitii& everyone else @WFG:

Is there a revised schedule plan for a25? I believe the release of a25 was scheduled for the end of June, but then those 'nasty bugs', as Stan put it, became apparent.

I'm quite happy with a25 RC2, so this is not a matter of anger or trying to put pressure on people. I have no idea about the progress on those nasty bugs, but I actually expect a RC3. Since the originally planned release date is dead anyway, I have a radical proposition:

How about lifting the feature and string freeze, maybe until the end of July, so the actual a25 will be as shiny and flawless as possible?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

How about lifting the feature and string freeze, maybe until the end of July, so the actual a25 will be as shiny and flawless as possible?

I totally agree. There are many patches yet to be committed and there are major balancing issues to be resolved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I totally agree. There are many patches yet to be committed and there are major balancing issues to be resolved. 

Just between us two:

Spoiler

My gut tells me maybe we should have a new ff & sf deadline of end of August and plan for a release around end of September...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will consider your proposal. It's not what I have in mind right now though. Most of the RBs have fixes that are waiting to be committed by their respective owners which are sometimes not active.

My plan is to commit them ASAP and to release a RC3. Wait for some testers to make sure it's not broken still. Then publish the announcement and the trailer.

Moving the deadline and lifting restrictions could be done but it has implications for translations and stability and the people that are currently active now are not the ones that would work in balancing.

So pushing the release two months from now with no proof that anything of value would be done seems a bit dangerous to me.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

So pushing the release two months from now with no proof that anything of value would be done seems a bit dangerous to me.

This. No reason not to let the next week or two play out and release the next alpha. The we start anew with an actually understanding of how the current RC looks. Delaying now just sets us up for this exact conversation again in 3 months. Meanwhile, a delay would also ensure that an unpopular alpha that has already resulted in the loss of several players unnecessarily remains around for even longer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 8:39 AM, chrstgtr said:

This. No reason not to let the next week or two play out and release the next alpha. The we start anew with an actually understanding of how the current RC looks. Delaying now just sets us up for this exact conversation again in 3 months. Meanwhile, a delay would also ensure that an unpopular alpha that has already resulted in the loss of several players unnecessarily remains around for even longer. 

This is a good point. We can release A25 as RC3 then make A26 come shortly after if A25 does not work out. We can make A26 a balancing and bug fix alpha instead of packing in many new contents, then put the fun stuff into A27. 

Good news: Havran, Yarok and Metafoundations are back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2021 at 8:15 AM, Stan` said:

My plan is to commit them ASAP and to release a RC3. Wait for some testers to make sure it's not broken still. Then publish the announcement and the trailer.

Sounds good.

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

This is a good point. We can release A25 as RC3 then make A26 come shortly after if A25 does not work out. We can make A26 a balancing and bug fix alpha instead of packing in many new contents, then put the fun stuff into A27.

Or we'll do an a25b. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I thought about this. But sometimes people can't distinguish between A25a and A25b and when they have the wrong version they OOS. 

Please remember that Ubuntu apt package manager is still on A23 right now... there is no way it can tell apart A25a and A25b...

I only had that idea because there's an a24b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...