0AD units upgrade

Enrique

Really looks great. Unfortunately normally (i.e. in a real game) a player never zooms in that much: it isn't even possible in standard settings, also there is simply no time in a decent match for enjoying detailed unit modelling, since you are fully engaged with stratetic stuff aso.

So I have a question:

Do those increased unit details affect the game performance (which already is problematic), when there is much more to render?

Or does this only affect the GPU?

Really looks great. Unfortunately normally (i.e. in a real game) a player never zooms in that much: it isn't even possible in standard settings, also there is simply no time in a decent match for enjoying detailed unit modelling, since you are fully engaged with stratetic stuff aso.

So I have a question:

Do those increased unit details affect the game performance (which already is problematic), when there is much more to render?

Or does this only affect the GPU?

The triangle count is not much higher (around 250 -350 additional triangles only), these meshes still pretty lowpoly for today's standards.

AFAIK the biggest performance problems are mainly caused by pathfinding and simulation calculations. So I don't think they would cause much bigger problems. There has been some improvements lately in graphical performance like better shadow culling and better alpha transparency handling too.

Regarding unit detail, while it is true that the game is not meant to be played at max zoom all the time, people like sometimes to zoom into the battleground and enjoy observing how the battle unfolds (myself included), take good looking screenshots or use these models in other mods that the camera angle could be different than the standard RTS.

Also my mission in this project is to make the game look as good as possible :P

• Like 8

Regarding unit detail, while it is true that the game is not meant to be played at max zoom all the time, people like sometimes to zoom into the battleground and enjoy observing how the battle unfolds (myself included), take good looking screenshots or use these models in other mods that the camera angle could be different than the standard RTS.

Also my mission in this project is to make the game look as good as possible :P

YES! I'm one of those people (I've bolded the words in the quote above)! And I definitely think the game should look good! :sword_rune:

Yes, I see, but are they implemented? I open the scenario editor and the models are not the same..... they are still the old pointy and ugly face ones.

-Are these new models already implemented? Do they work with the old animations?

-No. The models are finished and ready to start animation production. We will remake all the unit animations and implement them when there are almost all of the required animations completed. However, the models are commited to the SVN version of the game with some test examples that you can check in the map editor. These examples and the models will be released in the next Alpha release (Alpha18) if you don't wan't to set up a SVN version.

To check some unit examples in SVN, go to the map editor and in the object tab, search for all actors and filter by "newunit". Once selected click on "Switch to action viewer" to isolate the unit and zoom in. (please note these are just examples and they aren't final unit setups)

From the first post ;)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Wildfiregames presents: 0AD's unit upgrade.

[...]

this is amazing

but game will be more amazing if there is more civs like crusaders japanes chines etc i thint that will be awesome and make game much better

thats my opinion

MOD EDIT: Don't full quote posts. Especially not if you are just replying in general.

Edited by leper
Remove useless full quote.

• 2 weeks later...

i know yall don't think the graphical upgrade will affect performance much, but do you think maybe you could set it up so the upgraded models are only used if a general graphics setting is set to medium or high? Thing is, I already don't like 300 unit limits even tho my game lags like mad at 100, so absolutely anything that would take a bit off of that helps.

• Like 2