Age of Mythology: Retold

19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

How much money would we need for a multiplayer server compared to how much money WFG currently has?

It depends on number of players, memory usage of dedicated servers ddos protection and duration of the operation (eg. keep it for a month up, or 50 years). :) 

15 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I suppose we could need another server, which currently costs about 500$ per year. One would have of course to finish developing the dedicated server feature :) 

Right, the code is the problem, not the money. A dedicated server at $500 a year, with WFG's current coffers, lasts about what? Over 20 years? lol

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, the code is the problem, not the money. A dedicated server at $500 a year, with WFG's current coffers, lasts about what? Over 20 years? lol

10 years for both, since it basically halves our funding :D 

Something very important to me: the special ablities

jCRRTpNGU00VguKu5zHhrA8gNxvsCIGzQ9DzZcXyeLk.jpg.9e58992d52f8c24e50ceedfd9ce410c1.jpg

Almost all mythological units have special abilities and have a cooldown bar that most be filled to use the ability again.

It would be great to add this mechanic to infantry units to throw a javelin, especially for the Romans who throw the pilum.

• Like 1

So, I played the stress test. The UI is nice. A lot more polished than 0 A.D.'s UI. We can probably take a lot of cues for AOMR's UI design. I prefer 0 A.D.'s centered HUD though and DE's/BoonGUI's nice big minimap on the left. AOMR's is on the right, and it bothered me, though it does have some nice features. Like, you see rally point/waypoint animations on the minimap. Something 0 A.D. should have.

There were things I liked more in 0 A.D., though, specifically quality of life things, like WASD camera movement, which I missed sorely in AOMR. Like, I reeeeally missed the WASD camera controls in AOMR. Not a fan of pushing the cursor to the edge of the screen to move the camera. I like how 0 A.D. has right-click on an icon to open the info panel. Other things in 0 A.D. that I miss in AOMR are the rally point lines on the ground and cursor changing to the action when hovering over a target to set a rally point. Everything is well done in AOMR, but I honestly like 0 A.D.'s aesthetics more (not biased at all). AOMR has wayyyyy better particles and very nice shore waves for beaches. While 0 A.D.'s water is very nice, one thing it lacks is nice shore waves and ship wakes. 

I liked AOMR's zoom, how it lets you zoom right up on the units and the camera tilts upward slightly. Liked that. Showed off the really quality textures the game has. I'd like to do that for 0 A.D., but go even further to where you can zoom really far out and the camera tilts downward and sounds fade out a bit and you hear wind over everything. 

All-in-all, once I get used to AOM's controls again, I'm going to really like it. It's way ahead of 0 A.D. on some things, but in other ways I really like 0 A.D.'s controls and QOL things more. 

• Like 1

Another thing I forgot to mention is that AOMR has what amounts to macros. Villagers will auto-gather stuff without you telling them to. You can set this behavior in the settings and give ratios to their behavior, which resources they will prefer over others. I... kinda hated it. Villagers felt out of my control. One time a whole group of idle villagers walked away from my base to gather a gold mine and I was confused on what they were doing. It was odd. Not sure if this behavior can be turned off. I suspect so.

AOMR's tooltips are better, more ubiquitous, more organized, and give you just the right amount of information.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Another thing I forgot to mention is that AOMR has what amounts to macros. Villagers will auto-gather stuff without you telling them to. You can set this behavior in the settings and give ratios to their behavior, which resources they will prefer over others. I... kinda hated it. Villagers felt out of my control. One time a whole group of idle villagers walked away from my base to gather a gold mine and I was confused on what they were doing. It was odd. Not sure if this behavior can be turned off. I suspect so.

This sounds absolutely awful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Not sure I understand how it is "neo-racism."

This new form of racism is : Everything not ethnically English should have an accent for more visibility and portrayal.

Russians must speak English but with Russian accent, Greeks must speak with Greek accent, French people with French accent, Arabs with Arabian accent etc. etc.

Assassin's Creed English voices do that frequently for example. Ghost of Tsushima voice acting is also doing it in English while the actual actor is speaking perfect English with no accent naturally.

My mother tongue is French and when I hear English with French accent in video games in odd context, I want to break the jaws of the executives. 

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Oh yeah, and 0 A.D.'s right-drag-click to draw units into a line or shape is super super awesome. No Age game has that. I find it is very crucial to properly microing your dudes at a mid-level. 

The only thing that comes close is total war formation positioning, which I think 0 A.D. should have someday, when formations are more than cosmetic changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

The only thing that comes close is total war formation positioning, which I think 0 A.D. should have someday, when formations are more than cosmetic changes.

Yep, Total War and Battle for Middle Earth 2 had drag and place, which was really nice. 0 A.D. is the only classic RTS that I've seen with it! 

And if the game ever has hard battalions or semi-hard formations, drag n place will definitely be a necessity. 

15 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

AOMR's tooltips are better, more ubiquitous, more organized, and give you just the right amount of information.

I've seen that in a video, apparently you can choose from a set of auto-eco strategies, and surely you can go for full manual.

Also, I think ranked games will have auto-eco always disabled, as they said already that autoqueue will be allowed for villagers only in ranked games.

13 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

This sounds absolutely awful. 

God forbids.

9 hours ago, Genava55 said:

This new form of racism is : Everything not ethnically English should have an accent for more visibility and portrayal.

Russians must speak English but with Russian accent, Greeks must speak with Greek accent, French people with French accent, Arabs with Arabian accent etc. etc.

Assassin's Creed English voices do that frequently for example. Ghost of Tsushima voice acting is also doing it in English while the actual actor is speaking perfect English with no accent naturally.

My mother tongue is French and when I hear English with French accent in video games in odd context, I want to break the jaws of the executives. 

lol, as an Italian, I had fun watching House of Gucci. Of course it looks stupid to us, they do it for themselves.

Yesterday I took a look at the Steam page and noticed I could get access to the Playtest. I was very hyped and the game seems to work fine on my PC, which is great. But I can't actually play, there is no single player available, and the multiplayer tells me I don't have a network connection. @wowgetoffyourcellphone do you know more about that?

By the way, when starting the game demo for the first time, I was presented with the variety of accessibility options, including the possibility of navigating with WASD and of disabling the auto gathering for villagers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Itms said:

By the way, when starting the game demo for the first time, I was presented with the variety of accessibility options, including the possibility of navigating with WASD and of disabling the auto gathering for villagers.

Nice, I must've overlooked that in all of the options you are bombarded with at the beginning. lol

5 hours ago, Itms said:

Yesterday I took a look at the Steam page and noticed I could get access to the Playtest. I was very hyped and the game seems to work fine on my PC, which is great. But I can't actually play, there is no single player available, and the multiplayer tells me I don't have a network connection. @wowgetoffyourcellphone do you know more about that?

It's over, unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1