Which open-world game have you played most disappointingly?

Elden Ring has received appreciation, and open-world gameplay is how it works. I want to discuss particular open-world games you played that you felt were unsuccessful.

My most eagerly awaited video game of 2020 was Cyberpunk 2077, which promised a wealthy vertical city. Boy, what a pile of nonsense it was. There is nothing to do in that game for a futuristic metropolis that is plagued by crime. Particularly when you finish every job, the city is incredibly boring and empty. There are no side activities or minigames to pass the time or add value to the experience. There were only mission-based buildings that may be entered. A spirit of discovery is also lacking. Although I like the game's narrative and plot, I had never before been so disappointed by an open-world game.

I didn't like cyberpunk's gameplay. the map and the artistic direction were top notch though.

I'm not an integralist for open world games, free roaming is not the most important part of a game to me, but I'm still waiting for when an open world RTS finally comes out!

3 hours ago, Cash55 said:

I want to discuss particular open-world games you played that you felt were unsuccessful.

Why not discuss liked/successful open world games? :) sounds like it could give some good recommendations for readers.

2 hours ago, alre said:

but I'm still waiting for when an open world RTS finally comes out!

While definitely not an RTS in itself, have you heard of Foxhole? It does have RTS elements to it.

EDIT: As to add one myself, Forza Horizon 5 was rather a dissapointment to me compared to what we already had to 4 (and 3). Also getting tired of them re-using old assets and not fixing / improving car sounds.

Edited by Grapjas

• 3 weeks later...

Cyberpunk 2077 was my most anticipated game of 2022 and was promised a rich vertical city. Boy, was that just a bunch of lies and bs. For a crime-ridden futuristic city, there is nothing to do in that game. The city is so empty and boring especially after you complete every mission. There are no minigames or any activity to pass the time and make the game worthwhile. All the enterable buildings were mission-based. And there's no sense of exploration. I liked the game's lore and story, but I never felt so bummed out for an open-world game until then.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...