Jump to content

A24 Buildings that cannot be manned (temples, towers) after they have changed hands?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

The buildings are too damaged to be manned; you have to repair them first (I think>10% health).

now i understand. I think that's unnecessarily complicated. I would take it out, e.g. in A25. a matter of taste, of course. of course i think more from the direction of a newcomer.

Conversely, if <10%, all people have to go out. Maybe that is already the case

==> or send message to user: "buildings under 10% health can't be manned" or "this building is actually not strong enough to go in" ( helps learning feedback)

Edited by seeh
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nani said:

This is a typical trope in RTS games, very damaged buildings can't get garrisoned as it represents the building is in shambles

That means, the condition of admission as a, later not confused, player, are first experiences with (suitable) RTS games ;) (i only played MegaGlest before).

a mod that makes messages, as a response to events, configurable ... would be nice if that is easy to do. prob not easy

 

2 hours ago, nani said:

can't get garrisoned as it represents the building is in shambles

if it "represents the building is in shambles" set the image back to the some beginning pix. I think it's too time-consuming to create a specialized image, but maybe like this (for towers):

image.png.05310f59100a6f2dbb57bcf5a18ee2d9.png

 

 

 

Edited by seeh
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, seeh said:

if it "represents the building is in shambles" set the image back to the some beginning pix. I think it's too time-consuming to create a specialized image, but maybe like this (for towers):

It's visible for Carthaginians buildings.

29 minutes ago, seeh said:

a mod that makes messages, as a response to events, configurable ... would be nice if that is easy to do. prob not easy

Well you get messages when placing a building over resources, so could be doable. Maybe @Freagarach knows (How to make a message popup when building cannot carry units because its health is too low)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seeh said:

Conversely, if <10%, all people have to go out. Maybe that is already the case

Yup. I think it's fine that badly damaged structures can't accommodate units.

I really like to capture enemies' infrastructure so I usually don't damage buildings at all; unless there are too many soldiers inside to capture it... Sometimes it can be a close call not to accidentally destroy the building, for example when I have 'Captain Lardbutt' (Hanniba'al Baraq) along, who doesn't have a capture attack but deals tremendous crush damage.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stan` said:

It's visible for Carthaginians buildings.

Well you get messages when placing a building over resources, so could be doable. Maybe @Freagarach knows (How to make a message popup when building cannot carry units because its health is too low)

 

Can we make it visible for other factions as well please?

Actually I think I can make a mod for this. :D

 

But @Stan` or any other artist can you make some models for damaged buildings please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Can we make it visible for other factions as well please?

Actually I think I can make a mod for this. :D

 

But @Stan` or any other artist can you make some models for damaged buildings please?

There are Lopess and @m7600

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

There are Lopess and @m7600

I have to finish the Han buildings and the Macedonian wonder, so I can't commit myself to this right now. But @Yekaterina you can download Blender and it will only take you some weeks to be able to make things. @Lion.Kanzencan help you with that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

There are Lopess and @m7600

my example pic was from the nearly end of the tower building process. maybe use same pic's.  if tower is creased down to lower then 10% healthy (the point it could not be garrisoned again.  ). ok then its could maybe confusing maybe som players if they looks identically to a tower not finished building. but I find that negligibly bad.

Edited by seeh
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I have managed to add damage textures but they are ugly. I think my problem is not with the technical bit but artistic taste, which is much harder to acquire than operating blender.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Actually I have managed to add damage textures but they are ugly. I think my problem is not with the technical bit but artistic taste, which is much harder to acquire than operating blender.

Artistic taste is something that you acquire through practice. Don't worry if your first artistic works don't look good, just keep practicing a couple of hours every day. Eventually you'll get better.

In any case, just give it a try. What do you have to loose, other than a few hours?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Artistic taste is something that you acquire through practice. Don't worry if your first artistic works don't look good, just keep practicing a couple of hours every day. Eventually you'll get better.

In any case, just give it a try. What do you have to loose, other than a few hours?

I am afraid I don't have a few hours every day... I am a student and immediately after my exams I need to start working through a 2000 pages maths textbook and finish that before the start of my university career.

But yes, thank you for the advice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I am afraid I don't have a few hours every day... I am a student and immediately after my exams I need to start working through a 2000 pages maths textbook and finish that before the start of my university career.

But yes, thank you for the advice. 

Maybe you can use Blender as an excuse to practice your math problems. Blender can be used in a highly mathematical way, and it supports Python scripting. Who knows, with your knowledge of math you may end up inventing some great scripts for that program.

Think of it this way: Blender is essentially geometry (Euclidean, to be more precise). Any geometric problem that you encounter in your textbooks can theoretically be represented in Blender. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, m7600 said:

Maybe you can use Blender as an excuse to practice your math problems. Blender can be used in a highly mathematical way, and it supports Python scripting. Who knows, with your knowledge of math you may end up inventing some great scripts for that program.

Think of it this way: Blender is essentially geometry (Euclidean, to be more precise). Any geometric problem that you encounter in your textbooks can theoretically be represented in Blender

Thank you so much m7600! Now I have motivation to take on blender. Hopefully I won't come up with the blueberries idea again :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Hopefully I won't come up with the blueberries idea again :D

From a gameplay perspective, it was actually a good idea, but it wasn't a good idea from the perspective of realism. You'll find that this is a constant issue in the creation of this game, how to reach a compromise between gameplay, aesthetics, and historical accuracy. Different people want to emphasize different things. 

Anyways, good luck, I need to get back to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...