Ratings Disputes and Offence Reporting (Discussion)

gator303

A disconnect should be a loss in my opinion - there would be the occasional misfire of justice but it would be better than the current situation. I've had the majority of my wins disconnected now and it sucks.

I'm not overly hurt about losing a few internet points personally, but this has happened so much I don't feel that my score represents my ability and I've had people accuse me of tanking my points to look newer than I am :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thorrky said:

A disconnect should be a loss in my opinion - there would be the occasional misfire of justice but it would be better than the current situation. I've had the majority of my wins disconnected now and it sucks.

I'm not overly hurt about losing a few internet points personally, but this has happened so much I don't feel that my score represents my ability and I've had people accuse me of tanking my points to look newer than I am :(

This unfortunately was the same problem I met when I was a 1300 to 1600 player. Like 30% of the rated 1v1 games I played are not in my rating cause of some leavers. The only one thing to do in these cases is to report them so the moderators will ban them. Anyway, remember that we are talking about a low ranked band of people. When you will start playing against 1500+ players there will be less problems about it. 

6 minutes ago, thankforpie said:

In league of legends if you lose connection you get 5min waiting penalty.

If it happens more you get up to even 1h waiting penalty before you can start a game.

I personally don't like it. It happens me many times to lose connection during the match, and it wouldn't be fair to ban me from lobby 5 mins for this reason. It would be more fair to give the victory (and the points) to one of the two player after a certain amount of time. In rated chess, for example, if you lose connection you have two minutes to rejoin, then you lose the game and the points

1 minute ago, Jofursloft said:

In rated chess, for example, if you lose connection you have two minutes to rejoin, then you lose the game and the points

2 minutes is a reasonable grace period to give honest disconnecters a chance. Disconnecting in the first minute or so shouldn't result in a loss either as that's can't be a rage quit.

3 minutes ago, Jofursloft said:

When you will start playing against 1500+ players there will be less problems about it. 

Yes definitely, for now I'll just have to content myself with cleaning up the mean streets of 1100-1200  ;D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

Maybe have an AI take over when a player leaves and let him re-establish control when he logs back in.

This wouldn't be great: current Al just suicides against garrisoned buildings, has a terrible attack strategy and manages eco really bad. A player can easily destroy the Al with just 20 cavarly men, destroying eco. For me Very difficult Al has is around the same level of a 1200-1300 player

Edited by Jofursloft

I know it would make the player loose, but it is better and smoother then an insta win, and if the player leginimately had bad connection they can come back before poop hits the fan. If they just left for bad cheaty reasons like listed above in the OP then they will loose.

The whole point is that it would make the quitter inevitably loose if he does not relog.

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I
  • Like 1

TLDR; All these ideas about making the disconnected player lose will never work and are worse than the current system.

With no WFG insight into rated games, the main challenge is to make sure that the system cannot be fooled. The current model operates on the basis that two separate players would not lie. And both are telling the truth. After each game a report is sent by the two participants to the ratings bot who only accepts it if both match. If its decided that individual players can be trusted to always be telling the truth, there is no safety against players who would lie. A player can forge several reports of games that he didnt play and gain points while at the same time an innocent player would lose points. This is what will happen if the host is given the power to decide the winner of the match when someone else loses connection.

The challenge is to make sure that WFG can determine the authenticity of game reports. The most reliable way being to monitor the whole game ofcourse.

I could be wrong about that stuff, but I hope that clears up the question of “how come they haven’t fixed something so trivial by now?”.