0 A.D. Development Report: May - August 2019

Sundiata

So will the next (big) update be able to finally resolve the massive lag issue occuring during gameplay, the one where the more units are around the slower/choppier the game gets to the point where it's almost unplayable, and sometimes the game even crashes due to the massive lag?

And another thing; will there be a skirmish map where the gaia is the true enemy like in the arctic map? Basically a gaia opponent that poses a threat than regular AI opponents depending on the setup? Also maps where sometimes a random indestructible gaia building can spawn where if a player can capture it, it gives the owner benefits (e.g. +resource/second, can train certain special units, etc.)

28 minutes ago, legendEx said:

And another thing; will there be a skirmish map where the gaia is the true enemy like in the arctic map? Basically a gaia opponent that poses a threat than regular AI opponents depending on the setup? Also maps where sometimes a random indestructible gaia building can spawn where if a player can capture it, it gives the owner benefits (e.g. +resource/second, can train certain special units, etc.)

@Nescio @wowgetoffyourcellphone this is your territory.

27 minutes ago, Stan` said:

There is only a MOD, but is there a plan to integrate Chinese civilization into 0 A.D.? I think, it is a very important civilization for the period 500 BC - 1 AD, because Great Chinese Wall was built in this period (by order of Qin Shi Huang [259 - 210 BC] - first emperor of Qin empire). 

Edited by Máximo

40 minutes ago, Máximo said:

There is only a MOD, but is there a plan to integrate Chinese civilization into 0 A.D.? I think, it is a very important civilization for the period 500 BC - 1 AD, because Great Chinese Wall was built in this period (by order of Qin Shi Huang [259 - 210 BC] - first emperor of Qin empire). 

We included in semi official mod. Not ordibary or regular mod. Qin  Dynasty can be interesting for that mod.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, NeoBuzantinos said:

ETA for the next update? I think its been 2 years or 1 "If i mistaken am sorry" and am really worry.. I saw some people playing A24 and they said something like confusing things to download the prerealse "A24" and i dont know how to download it and test it..

Best Regards.

Paul.

Hello @NeoBuzantinos,

Unfortunately, I do not have a release date for you. What I can only say "is when it's done". You can indeed try out A24 pretty easily if you are on windows. If you want help let me know. It's a dev version though, so expect bugs.

On windows you can use Tortoise SVN. You can see that as some sort of auto-updater. Then you can follow the images here

If you'd like an opportunity to discuss this with us or need help you can use https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad-dev to ask question. If you want to come meet us, some of use will be at FOSDEM in Bruxelles in February.

4 minutes ago, NeoBuzantinos said:

ETA for the next update? I think its been 2 years or 1 "If i mistaken am sorry" and am really worry.. I saw some people playing A24 and they said something like confusing things to download the prerealse "A24" and i dont know how to download it and test it..

Best Regards.

Paul.

Since 2018 (1 year).

A24 pre release is svn version. Developer you need a extra software.

21 minutes ago, NeoBuzantinos said:

saw some people playing A24 and they said something like confusing things to download the prerealse "A24" and i dont know how to download it and test it..

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

15 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Since 2018 (1 year).

Since 18 May 2018, i.e. over 18 months, and there is still plenty to do ( https://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap ), so two years is probably more accurate than one.

Well, roadmap stopped to be a trustable clue of how everything it's going. 

If finally Borg mod it's implemented, It would be nice to test it by the main playerbase. 

I mean, a release always it's a lot of extra work, but 1 year it's a understable time period to justify a release. If I'm following correctly, there's not a big feature half implemented that needs to be finished, or I'm wrong? 

37 minutes ago, av93 said:

I mean, a release always it's a lot of extra work, but 1 year it's a understable time period to justify a release. If I'm following correctly, there's not a big feature half implemented that needs to be finished, or I'm wrong? 

There are a few things we'd like to have other than fixing the release blockers.

• Pathfinder Threading
  • Network Server Threading
  • Spidermonkey 62
  • Some gameplay features.
  • Borg's mod somehow.
  • Maybe something special :)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well, the engine release are ESR, and they don't provide the latest https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/Releases

Actually it's 52 and not 62

Thanks for the clarification.

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Nescio re: 1042 I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, is it complete ? I guess elexis won't review any time soon, so I could do it. Sorry about that, it's not that big a deal though is it ?

I believe it to be complete, but please re-read the entire discussion there, try the script, and check for yourself.

There is no rush, but I would appreciate it to have eventually, because everytime I upload a diff to phabricator involving a map containing spaces in the file name, Vulcan complains and fails to build, which is quite annoying.

13 hours ago, Stan` said:

There are a few things we'd like to have other than fixing the release blockers.

• Pathfinder Threading
  • Network Server Threading
  • Spidermonkey 62
  • Some gameplay features.
  • Borg's mod somehow.
  • Maybe something special :)

Thats a nice roadmap and and seems a hell of work. IRC correctly, turret feature have been given a lot of effort

But think about releasing the new balance asap, so it can be tested while the other features are being worked on.

Releases also refresh interest on people and in the media, atracting potentially new devs

• 1 year later...