===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

Definitely yes, the last gif is good enough reference to get the idea.

Still love their UI their font and Icons. From all the settlers game this was by far the "game" and not the abyssal end they went throught the next releases.

Would be better apply the shield/sword hit to the ready variant? it could work as taunting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Looks alright would be better with a gif :P

Yep, would be better, do you know some of your magic scripts to make gif out of blender magically instead of "yeah this addon make gif, but you need to use gimp, photoshop, google chrome, find an unciorn tear and bolivars dream to make the gif, only that, i beat you can find it easily"

Do you think its possible to have reactions animations? like being pushed back because the infantry got a sword slash on his shield?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

Yep, would be better, do you know some of your magic scripts to make gif out of blender magically instead of "yeah this addon make gif, but you need to use gimp, photoshop, google chrome, find an unciorn tear and bolivars dream to make the gif, only that, i beat you can find it easily"

https://www.screentogif.com/

I use that, pretty happy about it, see the number of gifs I posted recently :P

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

Do you think its possible to have reactions animations? like being pushed back because the infantry got a sword slash on his shield?

It's possible. It's a bit complex to put in place, @Freagarach might tell you more. I recently created a ticket for knockback. One can imagine that a unit suffering from knockback might only play a specific animation.

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

The shield banging one looks more like a taunt so maybe an idle_ready variant. not really something you'd do if you were relaxed. Both are nice though.

Yep, thats was my thought, its something you do if you are ready not something you do relaxed thinking on life and resources.

For resting shield on ground i would have to include longer idles, wich will only work if the infantry isn't sync with any other actors ex: chariots, riders, animals. but yeah i've thinking on do them.

@Stan` wouldn't affect having long idles (around 100 or 180 frames) for idles like relaxing above shield (thought this would require to measure every shield and see if they would fit probably gonna require duplications based on the shield size.) i mean, they will be really relaxed and won't look weird if they start to walk while their shield is on ground?

11 hours ago, Stan` said:

It's a bit complex to put in place, @Freagarach might tell you more

Well, it is hard to put in place nicely ;) Since the visual attacks do not always coincide with the actual taking damage (which would be the trigger for this animation) it would be hard to time it right. Also, when the attacked unit is playing an attack animation of its own, it would be interrupted by this animation, which would look weird also.

I actually had such thing in my mod, where a unit could block damage, thus also resetting the attack; this animation would fit perfectly in there :)

All these animations make me wish D1496 gets a rebase ^^.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Stan` said:

I guess idles should be split by action, but if they are longer they should be alright :)

Yes, i meant: if i use sit idles or stuff like that, 60 frames lenght are just the transition from stand to sit, it would look weird, but if i apply longer timers it would look more natural But a sit idle will be canceled by an order inmediatly.

18 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

But a sit idle will be canceled by an order inmediatly.

Yeah we don't have transition anims. The idea was to have some units sit in camps .

17 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Also, important to mention, last night i was tweaking end frames of the natural idles to make the transition from one to another more smooth, i will committ them soon. 

If you add new anims can you make sure they follow the naming conventions ? Ex 01 instead of a etc

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations