Migrating to a new communication platform

Stan`

2 hours ago, alre said:

I'm curious about this, does it allow:

- feedback about rejected comments?

- editing a comment after rejection so it can be accepted?

- whitelisted users?

I can edit a comment and add naughty stuff . I’ve been watching spiffing Britt and have been playing with exploits .

I've quickly examined Libera.chat's policies and web-based interface. Their policies allow suspension of any member for any reason, which means that it's possible for a tyranny of the majority to occur. That's okay as long as the majority of the members have integrity to the goals and community of Libera.chat. If that changes at some point then we can always change our choice of IRC server.

Libera.chat's web-based interface is good because it uses browser notifications.

I would accept Libera.chat as our official IRC server, in addition to my other suggestions.

Edited by Norse_Harold

9 minutes ago, Itms said:

If we wish to move towards a more modern/complex system, I am quite convinced by @s0600204's proposal of using Zulip.

My main concern is the free now maybe expensive later pricing. I don't know if it would replace the forums though

• Like 1

Personally would be fine with IRC, Matrix has been a little annoying every time I've used it - the web clients seems slow-ish, and I haven't taken the time to find a client I liked. I'm also only somewhat semi-active, and for work am now mostly on telegram (+ slack) so not really relevant.

If Zulip is more lightweight than Matrix it would have my preference, but I think we aren't big enough that IRC is unworkable.

• Thanks 2

For the discussions we currently have on #0ad-dev (I do not follow #0ad), I think IRC is already the best option. So we would only need to switch to a server with support for TLS encryption, my preference here would be OFTC (already used by Debian).

I would be happy with XMPP too, even if I think it has too many features for our needs (and unused features are bugs lying in ambush). From an user point of view, it would be very similar to IRC with better support for private messages. I think it can be used without an account, but I don’t remember having tried that. The ability to link the discussion channels with the game lobby would be a very big upside, if it were considered that would make XMPP my favourite option.

My experiences with Matrix have all been really bad, so this is not an option I would support. The clients especially seem to mostly be either awful (Element) or incomplete.

I do not know anything about Zulip yet, so I won’t comment about this one.

---

TL;DR: 1 vote for IRC, and 1 vote for XMPP.

I only use IRC for Wildfiregames and will probably use any other platform for Wildfiregames as well. ;)

I also like the lightweightness of IRC, so that would be a pre for staying there. No clue about the others. Connecting the lobby room would be nice indeed.

• Like 1

I'm in favor of XMPP

We already have a server.

Compared to Matrix it's is wider supported. (more clients)

Compared to IRC it supports group chats, it allows async comunication and it doesn't tell everybody when I'm online.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think almost everyone has voted save for @bb_ and @vladislavbelov

I chatted a bit with nephele an old contributor. (DISCLAIMER: they are working on https://pulkomandy.tk/projects/renga/ an XMPP client, with linkmauve) A few points for XMPP over matrix:

• You can join public room anonymously not leaking your JID.
  • Matrix does not encrypt room specific nicks or topics

All three operators (XMPP, Matrix, IRC) have the issue that operators can impersonate you, but I don't think it's a very big problem in our case.

90% of the people using Matrix will be on Matrix.org (which makes sense, since they wanted to not go the way XMPP did) Which also means, it's very likely that people will be forced to use Element (Matrix Client) to support the newer stuff.

I think Matrix is not the way to go, but I'm a bit more inclined towards XMPP in spite of iRC, for the reason that it has a better phone support, and I've been using it to talk over IRC for about three years now. Having a phone app might make it more easy for people to talk to us... 

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

I think Matrix is not the way to go, but I'm a bit more inclined towards XMPP in spite of iRC, for the reason that it has a better phone support, and I've been using it to talk over IRC for about three years now.

When using the lobby XMPP server, developer communication wouldn't be independent of WFG infrastructure anymore. Having the main communication platform available when WFG infrastructure is down is pretty important from my point of view. We just had the need for that a few days ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dunedan said:

When using the lobby XMPP server, developer communication wouldn't be independent of WFG infrastructure anymore. Having the main communication platform available when WFG infrastructure is down is pretty important from my point of view. We just had the need for that a few days ago.

Sorry I meant using a public server

I think the most important things are the required features listed in the first post. I do would like to add two:

- Be loggable on a wilfy server (the actual chat being hosted elsewhere). Like we have with irclogs. (Probably this is possible with most solutions anyways)

- Joinable with a little threshold as possible (no account, web based etc.)

IRC is fine with me.

I have use zulip too for some uni stuff. Works rather well!! Especially like the way how one can use TeX code there. Don't know about the logability and the need for accounts (but one can figure out).

A Matrix with some IRC bridge or the like could be an option too.

Have no experience with XMPP apart from the MP lobby.

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2024 at 3:57 PM, Dunedan said:

Which public XMPP server do you have in mind for that?

Mostly Jabberfr.org.

In case we do to go to IRC, I wonder how we can choose between OFTC and Libera.Chat ? Go for the biggest one?

During last connections to Libera.Chat its servers reported an average of 31375 users and 22172 chat rooms. Use the following menu to get more information about IRC network Libera.Chat!
During last connections to OFTC its servers reported an average of 12425 users and 3995 chat rooms. Use the following menu to get more information about IRC network OFTC!

OFTC is also apparently under patronage from SPI

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27492799