Housing places in the barracks and fortresses.

Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong wants A23 Brits and Gauls back, when these civs' buildings added some pop cap. This feature caused great balancing issues so it was removed since A24. 

On one hand, it makes booming easier. On the other hand, the implication of people sleeping in barns and barracks is not so nice. 

So if you want to implement this feature again, do it for every civ for balance. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

So if you want to implement this feature again, do it for every civ for balance. 

The only reason to introduce such a thing again would be for asymmetry.

As an aside, I don't think I've ever agreed with a single one of your gameplay takes. It's kinda strange.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

14 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I didn't understand, could you expand by elaborating a little more on the idea?

In the game Cossacks: Back to the War, each barracks added several residential places. The problem is that 5 residential places per house seems very small to me. Instead of building entire blocks out of the slums, I'd like to make up for it by building barracks. Naturally, this opportunity should be given to all nations, and not just the Celts. This is not about increasing the capacity of the population in excess of the established one, but about the fact that the barracks will also provide housing as well as houses.

Edited by Sun Wukong
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

It's only a few civs that have small houses. And as far as I'm aware a lot of players consider it to be economically beneficial.

So that the houses do not lose their meaning, I propose to make the appearance of residential places in the barracks in the form of an expensive researchable technology, where each barracks will be upgraded to a residential barracks individually, like a tower.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

You'd rather have an expensive technology than just build a few more houses?

I must admit, I don't really understand the occupation with housing.

I have two options: this technology will cost as much as a house and just add living spaces to the barracks, which will save space for building something more important than a bunch of houses. And the second option: this technology will be more expensive, but the mass and all future barracks will add residential places, thus, the destruction of fragile houses and the city center by the enemy will be partially overlapped by places in the barracks and the player will quickly restore his troops, spending less wood on houses and acquiring units.

Frankly, when it comes to balance, you should copy the limits on the number of possible buildings, as was the case in the third age of empires. In particular, to limit the number of trade units, preventing players on the big map from turning them into a money printing press.

34 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

It's only a few civs that have small houses. And as far as I'm aware a lot of players consider it to be economically beneficial.

Option three: make Carthaginian improved houses for all nations, adding insulas to the Romans, long houses to the Celts, and so on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

a lot of players consider it to be economically beneficial.

Yes, but only in early game. The small houses cost only 75 wood, which means for 300 starting resources you can build a farmstead, a storehouse and a house all at the same time -> good efficiency. 

However, in late game, the small houses become an absolute pain because their building them is less efficient at creating population space than large houses. They also take up more land and hence you might get yourself in an awkward housed situation. You either micro more or you have to set more house builders (they have to walk more). It's often the case that you boom faster and gather faster than you can build houses. @MarcAurel

2 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

where each barracks will be upgraded to a residential barracks individually, like a tower.

Good idea. But this tech should have a very short research time. 

1 hour ago, Sun Wukong said:

ong houses to the Celts

Gauls and brits desperately need this. 

2 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I don't really understand the occupation with housing.

Building houses at the right place at the right time is the hidden key to achieving a good boom. It's often overlooked. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

several residential places

Try to avoid the word residential, it confuses me, I tend to think of settlement aesthetics rather than population capacity.

It's probably a cultural issue on my par

4 hours ago, Sun Wukong said:

In the game Cossacks: Back to the War, each barracks added several residential places. The problem is that 5 residential places per house seems very small to me. Instead of building entire blocks out of the slums, I'd like to make up for it by building barracks. Naturally, this opportunity should be given to all nations, and not just the Celts. This is not about increasing the capacity of the population in excess of the established one, but about the fact that the barracks will also provide housing as well as houses

Yes I understand your point in the same way as you say.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Try to avoid the word residential, it confuses me, I tend to think of settlement aesthetics rather than population capacity.

Aesthetics of the settlement? Are you talking about houses, whose models sometimes have such a small entrance and windows that they look more like a doghouse or a dollhouse, but in no way correspond in size to the models of human units?:rofl:

20 minutes ago, Sun Wukong said:

Aesthetics of the settlement? Are you talking about houses, whose models sometimes have such a small entrance and windows that they look more like a doghouse or a dollhouse, but in no way correspond in size to the models of human units?:rofl:

No, it would take a while to explain , what I thought you meant was a bigger, nicer place to live.

d62fd2e75d6c4405a75d389bd82a48cf.jpeg.fd86e6166f85395c390cd180f2197e7f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

No, it would take a while to explain , what I thought you meant was a bigger, nicer place to live.

d62fd2e75d6c4405a75d389bd82a48cf.jpeg.fd86e6166f85395c390cd180f2197e7f.jpeg

Excellent model. You can build this instead of the pathetic kiosks that the Romans play the role of houses. A whole leaving complexes of 30 units at once.