Alpha 27 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

We have a whole lot of changes coming in this alpha, so wonder if it would be worthwhile to compile a sort of "patch notes" style document that lists summarizes the important changes.

We have kind of a changelog here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha27, but indeed we might have a more user friendly one.

57 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

We have kind of a changelog here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha27, but indeed we might have a more user friendly one.

I'll can do it. I can write it like a blog post, so laymen can easily read it. Just let me know when we're close to feature freeze and I'll start. (Or if you want it done now, I can do it now too...) Someone just need to tell me where I put the text.

• Thanks 1

I think the one @vladislavbelov posted is pretty good, but its missing plenty of changes. I think it might be worthwhile putting together a more player-attractive patch notes document.

Some type of summary paragraph, then start with gameplay, then balance, then art/audio, then major engine improvements and of course a section for the new graphics backend. Important changes like that can get a paragraph explaining and summarizing the change, and simple stuff like (Elite athenian spearmen may promote directly to champions) can be a bullet point under an "Athenians" subheading.

Adding some gameplay screenshots to the document could also help make it more eye catching. I think this way, the trailer could be shorter and more focused on exciting players than on communicating changes.

13 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I think the one @vladislavbelov posted is pretty good, but its missing plenty of changes. I think it might be worthwhile putting together a more player-attractive patch notes document.

Some type of summary paragraph, then start with gameplay, then balance, then art/audio, then major engine improvements and of course a section for the new graphics backend. Important changes like that can get a paragraph explaining and summarizing the change, and simple stuff like (Elite athenian spearmen may promote directly to champions) can be a bullet point under an "Athenians" subheading.

Adding some gameplay screenshots to the document could also help make it more eye catching. I think this way, the trailer could be shorter and more focused on exciting players than on communicating changes.

If its missing changes then it's bad. It needs to be updated. In a perfect world commit(er)s would update it. Basically any relevant changes to either players or modders should be there. (Also anyone following commits can update it)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

If its missing changes then it's bad. It needs to be updated. In a perfect world commit(er)s would update it. Basically any relevant changes to either players or modders should be there. (Also anyone following commits can update it)

I don't know if trac can do something similar, but GitHub has the ability to autogenerate release notes by looking at what PRs were merged.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I don't know if trac can do something similar, but GitHub has the ability to autogenerate release notes by looking at what PRs were merged.

Yeah you can actually do that just with git log --format.

But the problem is here is that not everything is relevant, you don't want to see 200 autobuild commits :)

Nor fixes for art typos. Just the art commit itself. They can sometimes be grouped. That's why we (used to) do it by hand.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in Alpha 27: Marian Legions.

Spoiler

i4F3rND.jpg

@real_tabasco_sauce You like? 

I took some Principe chainmail textures and added cingula and a little extra mail on the shoulders. 

You'll notice some Ptolemaic and Seleucid-inspired helmets mixed in a little, too. This is to show perhaps some war booty collected from these foes and does show up in a few references. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2024 at 11:41 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Coming in Alpha 27: Marian Legions.

Reveal hidden contents

i4F3rND.jpg

@real_tabasco_sauce You like? 

I took some Principe chainmail textures and added cingula and a little extra mail on the shoulders. 

You'll notice some Ptolemaic and Seleucid-inspired helmets mixed in a little, too. This is to show perhaps some war booty collected from these foes and does show up in a few references. 

Maybe some Celtic helmets 

On 28/01/2024 at 1:56 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

And Centurion with Celtic helmet

images (5).jpg

Are you going to use triarius? Or auxiliary infantry?

Since after the Marian reform, very little has changed in the army until the time of Augustus.

If it changed, it was very gradually, they did not change from one moment to another, the changes had already come from the public wars. slowly.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Are you going to use triarius? Or auxiliary infantry?

Since after the Marian reform, very little has changed in the army until the time of Augustus.

If it changed, it was very gradually, they did not change from one moment to another, the changes had already come from the public wars. slowly.

I  a correct answer :

By definition, auxiliae were any non-citizen troops supporting the Roman army. The nature of these troops’ training, quality and equipment varied and they were as diverse as teh timeline and evolution of the Roman army itself.

As such you cannot have any definite answer to this question. It would be like asking whether the US Marine uses muskets in hand to hand combat since, you know, US Marines in the 1800s used muskets, and therefore so did the guys in Fallujah, right?

In the earlier period of Roman rule, yes they did, but so did the legionaries themselvse, whether hoplites or as triarius. The Romans knew that they would need some spearmen, but not bother themselves so much about it themselves since allies can just provide them. As Rome expanded as an overseas empire, many tribesmen from Gaul, Iberia, Germans and Greeks would join the Romans as part of auxuilia corps.

• 2 weeks later...

0ad-embassysadnoflag.jpg.99aa4828b4302c06aeb8da7715d03e94.jpg

Why don't embassies have occupied flags?

Why don't ships cooperate with being repaired in the slightest? Had one maybe orientated a bit in the wrong direction and the guys that should've repaired it (and moved on) just stood there. Had to tell it again to move to the shore it was already at. Shoot I really hope with their overhaul those stupid mofus get less friggin stupid and less clunky overall.

42 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-embassysadnoflag.jpg.99aa4828b4302c06aeb8da7715d03e94.jpg

Why don't embassies have occupied flags?

Why don't ships cooperate with being repaired in the slightest? Had one maybe orientated a bit in the wrong direction and the guys that should've repaired it (and moved on) just stood there. Had to tell it again to move to the shore it was already at. Shoot I really hope with their overhaul those stupid mofus get less friggin stupid and less clunky overall.

The Pathfinder on ships is clunky than that of land-based units.

Garrison flags? 

12 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The Pathfinder on ships is clunky than that of land-based units.

Yeah, it sucks. Sure, naval vessels don't handle like a sports car, but ours are really, really stupid. Have you ever watched one being stuck ~forever on the corner of a dock?

15 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Garrison flags? 

You know what I mean. Maybe "garrison flag" is the tt (and "occupied" is used for toilets).