0 A.D. League. (2v2)

12 minutes ago, Mentula said:

If you are a modder reading this, please do not follow this recommendation. There are valid guides on the forum explaining how to make mods for the game

Why not. I always do this. All those mods were made this way. It's simple and fast and allows you to test things on the go without installing A27

6 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

I've never heard of any script which can do what you describe.  0AD executes 5 turns per second (less if there is lag) so I really don't see the point of your 500 APM. Plus, a good build order and knowing when to do what is more effective than spam clicking on your units. 

I mentioned "snipe script" to mock JC, who accuses StockFish of using "snipe scripts" whenever he loses to fish. Didn't expect you to fall for the same thing.

You seem to be playing along my 1900 car analogy pretty well, so I'll translate what you're saying: "I've never seen a car that can outrun a horse. And the distances people usually travel aren't even that long, so I see no point of going any faster. Don't fall for people trying to tell you that a car helped them get something done. Being a good horse rider will always beat ownership of any car."

Just for your information, the turn length really has little relevance here. That's just like a random fact you added to make what you're writing seem more informed, but it did the opposite. 500 APM is just above eight actions per second. It's more than a normal player would be capable of, but not even high enough if you really wanted to control all units in a fight individually. A turn doesn't restrict you to only one command, if that's something that also needs to be mentioned here.

So no, I'm not "falling" for anything here. And whether or not you can imagine something done is not the relevant part here. You basically suggest to make this game a mod writing competition.

6 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

I firmly believe that Atrik's ProGUI cannot be considered a cheat. 

(based on latest version in May 2023)

You see, I haven't even been talking about the current state of a specific mod, that seems what you fail to understand here. But this ungrounded believe you expressed here only invites the question when a mod might start to be considered a cheat if not now. So are you going to be updating us with each new release if we're cheating yet or not? As if you dismiss the whole discussion about rules and try to replace it with whatever just fits you at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Boudica said:

You basically suggest to make this game a mod writing competition.

I'm not. You are misinterpreting. 

Firstly such a mod doesn't exist yet. If you want and CAN write it, be my guest. 

Secondly if you are paranoid about mods, then just don't play. 

13 minutes ago, Boudica said:

haven't even been talking about the current state of a specific mod,

I was not talking to you. As you can see it was separate post. I said this because Atrik's progui has been under much scrutiny. As someone who has tested the mod, played against users of the mod, I believe that it's not cheating. You probably haven't even heard about it yet because you were offline for too long. 

50 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Secondly if you are paranoid about mods, then just don't play. 

You are being a bit immature by labeling people, you are very defensive, I suggest you take time to reflect.(I am impulsive too).

You are trying to argue without basis and with bad arguments, it is normal when you are stressed.

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2023 at 7:16 PM, 0 A.D. Tournaments said:

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce an exciting 2v2 competition in the real-time strategy game, 0 A.D. If you're a fan of strategy games and love competing against other players, then this competition is for you.

The competition will be in a team format, with two players on each team. Each team will face off against another in a best-of-one serie. The team that wins will earn 3 points, while the team who loses won't earn any point.

To ensure that all participants have a fair gaming experience, fair play rules will be applied at all times. Players caught cheating or using any type of exploit or hack will be immediately disqualified and reported to 0 A.D. moderators.

All the games will be played at Saturday at 20:00 CET. If there is any game that is not possible to be played at that date, players can play it in any day of the same week.

RULES: 

Map: Mainland , Normal size , Max pop: 200 , Relics: No , Conquest mode.

TEAMS REGISTERED:

- eae Gaming (Stockfish, borg-)

To register to the event, just post an answer to this post with the name of your team and the team members.

We will try to stream the highest rated games.

Sign in open until: 26/05/23 12:00 CET.

Which biome - temperate?
Ally view unlocked?

First of all, i can confirm that @Stockfish does not use an autosnipe mod. I have personally heard how he is clicking when sniping units :D. Secondly, 0.A.D as an open software project is, as i understand it, generally welcoming people to try out the "programming part" and play around with it, creating new mods, testing and exploring their own skills. So i think having mods that influence gameplay etc. is generally welcome and ok. I think it is a totally fine motivation on why to engage with 0 A.D. However, some people like to play 0 A.D competitively. The part many of them enjoy about the game is developing the best build orders, showing off mouse skills, macro, etc. It is less fun for them, if mods take over the part they enjoy the most. If they do not use the mods or are not accostumed to them, they might still be able to outplay players of lower skill easily. Nevertheless, on a more or less equal (high) level of play it is often small nouances, that will decide the outcome of a game. Saving clicks for macroing your economy, building houses etc. does for example allow a much greater dedication in time and focus on microing a fight, or thinking about the best strategy. This may lead to defeats that are frustrating, as the part of the game they enjoy and aspire to improve in the most is not the one that will decide on who wins. Therefore i think it is reasonable to set up rules for a tournament, which can allow or not allow the use of certain mods, so participants can evaluate if they are intrested in the specific challenge. I dont think mod users and non-mod users should condem each other and suggest that one of them should stop playing 0 A.D. It is about mutual respect ! So this issue is something players should  communicate about before (comeptitve) games and accept other players preferences as legitimate.

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s
  • Like 3

refusing to play then accusing other player of cheating before any game has even started... it just shows some really can't accept defeat... If you can't loose then just don't play. Just admit that you are weak and scared of losing...

some skrimish maps are better for 2v2 than Mainland because you know what the map will be like, so no complaints about unfair map generation when the game starts.

On 09/05/2023 at 7:16 PM, 0 A.D. Tournaments said:

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce an exciting 2v2 competition in the real-time strategy game, 0 A.D. If you're a fan of strategy games and love competing against other players, then this competition is for you.

The competition will be in a team format, with two players on each team. Each team will face off against another in a best-of-one serie. The team that wins will earn 3 points, while the team who loses won't earn any point.

To ensure that all participants have a fair gaming experience, fair play rules will be applied at all times. Players caught cheating or using any type of exploit or hack will be immediately disqualified and reported to 0 A.D. moderators.

All the games will be played at Saturday at 20:00 CET. If there is any game that is not possible to be played at that date, players can play it in any day of the same week.

RULES: 

Map: Mainland , Normal size , Max pop: 200 , Relics: No , Conquest mode.

TEAMS REGISTERED:

- eae Gaming (Stockfish, borg-)

To register to the event, just post an answer to this post with the name of your team and the team members.

We will try to stream the highest rated games.

Sign in open until: 26/05/23 12:00 CET.

Team name: Berhudar Triangle
Team members: berhudar, weirdJokes

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

i really like the idea a lot of a tournament/league, but as you plan it just by groups of 2 of individual choice where the best team up ... you won't attract a big amount of players. Might be still fun but only for few.

What about adding some sort of rules that allow more players to participate and take part in the challenge, even if they are only medium players? I have no real solution at hand, but maybe we can discuss here and share some ideas to hopefully find a way.

If any serious indicator or metric taken by the performance of players (which is of course not the normal rating) is available and more reliable, leveling out the skill of teams a bit might work. Maybe a range from min to max of indicator could be made a precondition for the teambuilding? somethin like maximum average KDR or something -> But i am not sure if these things are tracked for players. The developers among you might have much better ideas.

Anyway, logic behind this attempt would be that all participating teams are levelled a little to have a real challenge, which could be fun for all.

Another idea would be, as already mentioned to realize a kind of league system with different skill level ranges ... just like in boxing, where differnet weight classes guarantee interesting battles. Or 2-3 leagues from minor to premium ... whatever.

The things i read so far about the tournament would definetly not attract lower skilled players. So a tournament of 8 top players is maybe fun for this little blessed group ... but how to get a maximum of people involved?

Edited by jodeldi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...