proGUI

Atrik

On 04/09/2023 at 2:55 AM, Atrik said:

double check?

@Atrik seems i now found what i could do => restart 0ad

the problem was/is:
1. that stats always pop 2. and now also happens in all kind of games. ... => when this happens i restart 0ad and then its seems repaired to the end of the day or idk exactly how long and why

as i said it was heaping with navigate the map but now also when i opened the everywhere chat with ctrl + enter ( only enter is allied chat for me ).

i should test if its not related to proGUI  omg :blush: .. but at the moment the problem not exist. so i cannot test

BTW i using: (k)ubuntu linux

Edited by seeh
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, seeh said:

When the other player agree? I agree, I always agree to this statement. it sounds very logically straightforward. But total transparency is much more important i mean:

There have been so many posts in this thread (and that thread) saying that it is cheating. Just because it is public knowledge doesn't mean that it isn't cheating. There is no agreement on any of these items. If there was agreement it would be part of the vanilla game (and thereby not a "cheat"). The only reason why these cheats exist is because someone made the mod and no one can do anything to stop you from using it. Being transparent about cheating doesn't make you any less of a cheat.

A cheat is anything that gives an advantage this is not universally agreed to. This mod gives an advantage to the user and is not publicly agreed to.

This is a game with no referees to enforce the rules. The game relies on cooperation around the basic rules of the game. If we were to play a soccer match and I picked up the ball with my hands and ran it into the goal it would be cheating. It wouldn't matter that everyone could see me do it (public/transparent). And, it wouldn't matter if there was or wasn't referees to enforce the rules against against.

No matter how public. No matter how transparent. A cheat is a cheat. And, players continued use of a mod in games where others call it a cheat loses any good will and benefit of the doubt those players ever had.

Edited by chrstgtr
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

There have been so many posts in this thread (and that thread) saying that it is cheating. Just because it is public knowledge doesn't mean that it isn't cheating. There is no agreement on any of these items. If there was agreement it would be part of the vanilla game (and thereby not a "cheat"). The only reason why these cheats exist is because someone made the mod and no one can do anything to stop you from using it. Being transparent about cheating doesn't make you any less of a cheat.

A cheat is anything that gives an advantage this is not universally agreed to. This mod gives an advantage to the user and is not publicly agreed to.

This is a game with no referees to enforce the rules. The game relies on cooperation around the basic rules of the game. If we were to play a soccer match and I picked up the ball with my hands and ran it into the goal it would be cheating. It wouldn't matter that everyone could see me do it (public/transparent). And, it wouldn't matter if there was or wasn't referees to enforce the rules against against.

No matter how public. No matter how transparent. A cheat is a cheat. And, players continued use of a mod in games where others call it a cheat loses any good will and benefit of the doubt those players ever had.

I play for fun, I like competing once in a while and I can play fair: I played without the mod for the tournament event if it wasn't required (contrary to what I had thought). What I'm saying is: think what you want to think, but I've been using progui since soon after it was out, and I'm not a cheater.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

If we were to play a soccer match and I picked up the ball with my hands and ran it into the goal it would be cheating.

I still wouldn't be able to get past Lionel Messi. And if Lionel Messi said before the game "Yes, try, let's see how far you get, and you can also add two more players from your family" then I don't think we should forbid Lionel Messi from playing like that. Or?

2 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

A cheat is a cheat.

Yes, but then it feels not like cheating for me.

Edited by seeh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

You’re missing the entire point. Your opinion doesn’t matter if the people you’re playing with think that’s it’s cheating. 

That's true (was not forget this). That's why people should know about mods before playing the game. I've mentioned this several times, and some mods already have a default feature that shows which mods are being used. I also think that the discussion about if this mods is cheat can give some people the wrong impression that its made for cheating, which is definitely not true. I find that sad and it should be corrected.        There is, another unexplained point. If people know it's used (just the name) but don't know what it does, they still don't know what it is. Well, I think this work and the result are impressive. Good and helpful, and progressive (but that's a slightly different discussion).

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1

BTW long long time ago (2021) about Auto-Queue ;) ->

On 14/04/2021 at 8:53 AM, seeh said:

what about automatically restart if resources (wood, food) if available again (prob difficult? ==> https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/28753-autociv-mod-0ad-enhancer/?do=findComment&comment=419896 ) and/or also helpful a global warning message when it stops somewhere :)

-

On 14/04/2021 at 11:00 AM, maroder said:

I mean it is only cheating if it gives an unfair advantage to one player. If everybody can use it I hope this would not be a problem :D The benefits of reducing micro and not having to click on the buildings every few seconds is imo way to great.

-

On 16/04/2021 at 7:24 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't mind having auto-queue, but keep in mind that it was introduced once, and then abandoned for almost 20 years now for some reason. ;) 

Could make it a game setup option. :) 

-

On 11/03/2021 at 7:08 PM, seeh said:

if production stack is broken by to less resources you need reconfigure (all) the stack of maybe each building (that's maybe a chance for feature update i think ;) in alpha99 )

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1

"there are workers should do simple tasks. Periodically, the resources runs out temporary for doing this task. That results in a short break. During these breaks, some of the workers fall into a trance-like state from which they cannot wake up.

Microsleeps are brief episodes of sleep that can occur involuntarily, even when a person is trying to stay awake.

During a microsleep ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsleep ), individuals may appear awake but are actually asleep. This can lead to a loss of awareness and responsiveness, as well as a trance-like state.

Usually it would be advisable to consult with medical professionals for a more accurate assessment and guidance. "
Did you recognize that old autoque is tried to described here?

I think we should look at it that way also. And some people just don't find it so attractive to have to worry about waking  up all the time.

Edited by seeh

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The comparison to AQ is not apt at all, when my critique is that while AQ is a standard feature of the game, your mod is not, and confers macro and micro benefits to some players out of the scope of the standard game unavailable to those without your mod.

One of the lessons is: if you want to actually develop a game with new features do it as part of the main development team.

Everyone would like to see new/more team members. the reception for rogue development is chillier. 

• Like 2

Without going into the discussion whether is cheating or not.

Is there a chance to create a progui fork which has all active features disabled (and which cannot be enabled), such as autostart, unit creation, auto tec and trade?

Because I think many agree that the gui is quite nice - and that is not the issue (in the cheating discussion).

So maybe that could be a nice compromise.

What is your take on that?

I understand - there are the following problems.

If you use progui, then some people say you're cheating unrelated to the fact whether you actually us the 'active' features of progui or not and one would have to check the whole the game to be sure.

Boongui if I am not mistaken is not compatible with autociv in the latest version. Also there are differences between progui and boongui, like progui shows you idle buildings which is kind of handy, no?

• Like 1

Anybody can fork a mod and remove some features, I don't feel like making it myself because it doesn't add anything useful since you can already customize the features you want to show on screen in proGUI. If you don't like the reaction of peoples to the mod's name, because it's associated with a bunch of assumptions, you can rename it easily to something else in proGUI/mod.json.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think this was a bug that I patched since.
Solutions:
1. Get/Enable autociv (and maybe load it first) it might fix it.
2. Patch proGUI.

I don't remember how much this bug was affecting but I think it was very low. If you still have the error with current patch 0.5.15 please tell me.

• Thanks 1