Jump to content

Recommended Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Fu

Quote

Ancient scholars credited Xu Fu for being the founding father, and catalyst of the development of ancient Japanese society. Jōmon culture which had existed in ancient Japan for over 6,000 years suddenly disappeared around 300 BC. The farming techniques and knowledge that Xu brought along are said to have improved the quality of life of the ancient Japanese people and Xu Fu is said to have introduced many new plants and techniques to ancient Japan, albeit all the existing texts are mainly in Kanji text that now cannot be read by the present day Japanese. The worship of Xu Fu as the "God of farming", "God of medicine" and "God of silk" by the Japanese is attributed to these achievements. Numerous temples and memorials of Xu can be found in many places in Japan. In Xuzhou, there is a Xu Fu Research Institute attached to Xuzhou Teachers College.[2]

The Japanese historian Ino Okifu identifies Emperor Jimmu of Japan with Xu Fu.[4] After his arrival the Yayoi period started.[5]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, Genava55 said:

Emishi culture with horse archer warfare (thought to be the origin of the samurai archery tradition):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emishi

http://emishi-ezo.net/

http://emishi-ezo.net/WhoEmishi.htm

http://emishi-ezo.net/Conquest/DestructionOfCastle.html

I want to add new interesting informations about the Emishi:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lopess said:

any news for civ Yamato ?? :rolleyes:

The yamato are actually after 250 - 710 AD

This is the yayoi.

Still waiting for @LordGood to send me the files :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my fault, associate with aoe:self_hammer:, would be a great addition to Terra Magna!

Edited by Lopess
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im dumb and painting ponies

also no man's sky is great now I've been having lots of fun.

I've been itching to get back into 3D so we'll see

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I can come up with a unit roster since no one called for such (this may be edited over time):

Village (Mura) phase:

Civic Center (?), morphed into the Yayoi style at Town phase
> Japanese Woman (Womina/Omina, depending on orthography)
> Pikeman Citizen (Yarituki/Yaritsuki); shorter attack range than the Hellenistic counterparts, a bit more than usual Spearman
> Archer Citizen (Ite)

Barracks (?)
> Pikeman Citizen (Yarituki/Yaritsuki)
> Swordsman Citizen (?)
> Archer Citizen (Ite)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Fishing boat (Turipune/Tsurifune)

Town (Mati/Machi, depending on orthography) phase:

Temple (Yasirö/Yashiro)
> Shrine priest (Nusi/Nushi)
> Shrine priestess (Miko)

Smithy (?)
> Battering ram (?, gameplay purposes)

Market (Iti/Ichi)
> Merchant (Akinapi/Akinai)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Trading ship (Akinapibune/Akinaibune)
> Mercenary Chinese light warship (Wopune/Ofune)

City (Kuni) phase:

Civic Center (?)
> Jimmu (Kamuyamatö Iparebiko), Archer Hero
> Himiko (Pimiko), Healer Heroine
> ? (?), Archer/Spearman/Swordsman Hero?

Fortress (Sirö/Shiro)
> Spearman Champion (?)
> Swordsman Champion (?)
> Archer Champion (?)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Mercenary Chinese medium warship (Opobune/Ōbune)

Wonder (?), probably Izumo Grand Shrine (Idumo Opoyasirö/Izumo Taisha)

Empire (Opokuni/Ōkuni) phase, for Delenda Est:

(Suggestions? Kofun era? A stable that hires Champion/Citizen cavalry spearman and archer?)

Edited by Carltonus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carltonus said:

Think I can come up with a unit roster since no one called for such (this may be edited over time):

Village (Mura) phase:

Civic Center (?), morphed into the Yayoi style at Town phase
> Japanese Woman (Womina/Omina, depending on orthography)
> Pikeman Citizen (Yarituki/Yaritsuki); shorter attack range than the Hellenistic counterparts, a bit more than usual Spearman
> Archer Citizen (Ite)

Barracks (?)
> Pikeman Citizen (Yarituki/Yaritsuki)
> Swordsman Citizen (?)
> Archer Citizen (Ite)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Fishing boat (Turipune/Tsurifune)

Town (Mati/Machi, depending on orthography) phase:

Temple (Yasirö/Yashiro)
> Shrine priest (Nusi/Nushi)
> Shrine priestess (Miko)

Smithy (?)
> Battering ram (?, gameplay purposes)

Market (Iti/Ichi)
> Merchant (Akinapi/Akinai)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Trading ship (Akinapibune/Akinaibune)
> Mercenary Chinese light warship (Wopune/Ofune)

City (Kuni) phase:

Civic Center (?)
> Jimmu (Kamuyamatö Iparebiko), Archer Hero
> Himiko (Pimiko), Healer Heroine
> ? (?), Archer/Spearman/Swordsman Hero?

Fortress (Sirö/Shiro)
> Spearman Champion (?)
> Swordsman Champion (?)
> Archer Champion (?)

Dock (Tu/Tsu?)
> Mercenary Chinese medium warship (Opobune/Ōbune)

Wonder (?), probably Izumo Grand Shrine (Idumo Opoyasirö/Izumo Taisha)

Empire (Opokuni/Ōkuni) phase, for Delenda Est:

(Suggestions? Kofun era? A stable that hires Champion/Citizen cavalry spearman and archer?)

I'd replace the citizen swordsman with a citizen axeman, maybe also have a slinger (Jomon used slings).

Third hero could be Yamato Takeru

Maybe replace Jinmu with king Suisho or emperor Keiko; Jinmu may be a bit out of the timeline since he is said to have been born at 660 b.c (Yayoi period is usually said to have begun at 300 b.c, but some argue for 800 b.c or even 1000.bc).

I am not sure if Kofun should be the same civ, since Imperial Romans are a separate civ from Republic.

For the fortress you would have to speculate a little, it could be a hill fort with a earthwork palisade:

Quote

The first fortifications in Japan were hardly what one generally associates with the term "castles". Made primarily of earthworks, or rammed earth, and wood, the earliest fortifications made far greater use of natural defences and topography than anything man-made. These kōgoishi and chashi (チャシ, for Ainu castles) were never intended to be long-term defensive positions, let alone residences; the native peoples of the archipelago built fortifications when they were needed and abandoned the sites afterwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_castle#Early_fortifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chashi

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

I'd replace the citizen swordsman with a citizen axeman, maybe also have a slinger (Jomon used slings).

> Axeman Citizen (Onodukapi/Onozukai)
> Slinger Citizen (Isinagë/Ishinage; literally stone throwing, any better name?)

1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Third hero could be Yamato Takeru

Maybe replace Jinmu with king Suisho or emperor Keiko; Jinmu may be a bit out of the timeline since he is said to have been born at 660 b.c (Yayoi period is usually said to have begun at 300 b.c, but some argue for 800 b.c or even 1000.bc).

Revised Hero Breakdown (all recruited in Civic Center):
> Jimmu (
Kamuyamatö Iparebiko/Kan'yamato Iwarebiko), Archer Hero
> Himiko (Pimiko), Healer Heroine
> Keikō (Opotarasipiko Osiröwakë/Ōtarashihiko Oshirowake), Archer/Swordsman Hero?
> Ousu/Yamato Takeru (Wousu, Yamatötakëru), Swordsman Hero
> Jingū (Okinagatarasi/Okinagatarashi), Swordsman Heroine

Take your pick! "Jinmu" and "Jimmu" spellings are correct, but let's leave it to the modder.

Suishō or one of the above can be a catafalque unit.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

I am not sure if Kofun should be the same civ, since Imperial Romans are a separate civ from Republic.

Kofun can be a separate faction, thanks for the advice. Will wait for Part 2/Delenda Est proposal(s).

1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

For the fortress you would have to speculate a little, it could be a hill fort with a earthwork palisade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_castle#Early_fortifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chashi

Can the chashi be an embassy for Ainu/Emishi mercenaries? They could be an Atlas mini-faction.
> Ainu Mercenary Spearman
> Ainu Priest (boost damage for melee units nearby)
> Ainu Champion Mercenary Two-Handed Swordsman?

Edited by Carltonus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Carltonus said:

Double as an embassy for Ainu/Emishi mercenaries? Can be an Atlas mini-faction.

> Ainu Mercenary Spearman
> Ainu Priest (boost damage for melee units nearby)
> Ainu Champion Mercenary Two-Handed Swordsman?

Jomon mercs could be featured indeeed, i think it might be better to use a separate mercenary camp; two handed swords (As posted by Genava above) first appear in the Kofun era and are not used by Jomon peoples.

Alongside with priest and spearman, perhaps a Jomon Poison Archer or maybe even make the slinger a mercenary.

 

Maybe a ''Korean'' (Silla kingdom, who allied with Japan according to some sources) mercenary camp as well:

Silla pirate swordsman

Unlocks mercenary medium ship (I'd say light ship does not need to be mercenary, the Yayoi had at least some naval capacity to be able to migrate from the mainland in large numbers).

If cavalry needs to be included for balance, a tech at the Silla camp unlocks light horse archer.

 

Kumaso could be used too but we know very little about then, other than that they had some relation with bears due to their names (A few theories say they were Austronesians, or may have been a branch of the Jomon with the name coming from bear worship like the Ainu.)

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...