Known Problems (Please read before posting)

quantumstate

I took the liberty to rearrange the issues, add some details and omit this:

Alpha 9 issues

Out of Memory

There is a known bug in qBot (sorry) in Alpha 9 which means that if you have any qBot's with no units in the game you will probably get some out of memory errors eventually. This is common when testing with a blank map in Atlas (map editor) since by default Atlas has 8 players. If you are playing against multiple qBot's then a workaround is to leave something harmless like a house or tower standing. This is fixed in svn.

I am assuming this was fixed in Alpha 10 and onwards.

obviously the lag is a big problem. Mine even crashed , it was that slow maybe because the map was Continent and its an island. then theres this misplaced shadows thing like the shadow of my wall is too far away from the wall. I also suggest that the fish in the sea should move

I did like the variety of objects in the map editor, how the tiger in the editor is only orange with no stripes. I think there should be more variety of seacreatures and birds like ostriches and dolphins,killer whales. I think that the editor is really hard to use and should be like the one in AOM. I really hope the bugs and problems of this are easily overcome coz it will be the best pc game for me. I congratulate the developers for making the graphics in the game really good and for the variety of objects in the editor. I do think there should be a tutorial coz it will be easier for many to learn from that instead of reading a page.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for trying out 0 A.D. and coming here to report your problem. As the game is still in alpha releases there are still many things we need to do. Many of these we know already, so when you provide feedback we would ask you to focus on some of the other points that could be improved.

There is a neat table of planned features at http://trac.wildfire...ayFeatureStatus so you can tell what we are planning to add.

Lag

This is a common complaint, and with good reason. The game does not run as fast as we would like. Late in the game you will probably experience some lag, this is caused by a mixture of things, AI and pathfinding are big ones. The problem is worse on island maps and with multiple AI players.

One thing that can be helpful is giving us the profiler information. This automatically generated information is useful for working out where the lag is coming from. If you hit Shift-F11 this will be dumped into a file (location given at the top of the screen). Please upload these data to our forums to help us solve the problem. Thanks!

Attached profile.txt. Playing with 3 AI players.

System: OS X 10.8.1

0 A.D. version: Alpha 11

profile.txt

Edited by raymond

• 2 months later...

I've been playing 0AD for a little while now and recently had a great(?) idea for a scenario, so I just started to map it. The editor is actually pretty good, I had little problems using it, though I got little to no experience in this...but after working a few hours on it, trying to save it, I almost got a nervous breakdown cuz the editor refused to save. It's obviously a common problem and that's just logical, because the game has, fortunately, no root access - but even trying to save a map in $HOME fails, cuz the game still tries to write into a root directory.

My question now is:

Why does it write into some root directory at all? Wouldn't it be easy to create a /home/user/.0ad folder, where all scenarios are automatically saved?

I'm now also pondering, whether it makes sense to try some custom made build inside my $HOME, but doubt it would change anything...

Why does it write into some root directory at all? Wouldn't it be easy to create a /home/user/.0ad folder, where all scenarios are automatically saved?

I'm now also pondering, whether it makes sense to try some custom made build inside my $HOME, but doubt it would change anything...

The Save As dialog is misleading because it appears to give you the choice of where to save the file, but really it will save it in the currently loaded mod directory. On most OSes that will not be writable and it will fail. Indeed it would make more sense to save them somewhere in the user's home directory, but the engine needs to be modified to handle that and a few other cases. It's on our TODO list ;) Meanwhile, it might have saved the map in the cache folder, can you check that? http://trac.wildfire...i/GameDataPaths

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone else had chickens walk right through the agora? It's a minor detail but I've noticed that they can enter the Agora and your citizens will awkwardly hit the wall of your agora if you commanded them to go after the chicken, but they never actually seem to get it. This more of a problem for AI's because they don't tell thier units to go after a different animal when it happens. I hope this hasn't already been mentioned, I read through as much as I could before posting.

Edited by Jarrod

Has anyone else had chickens walk right through the agora? It's a minor detail but I've noticed that they can enter the Agora and your citizens will awkwardly hit the wall of your agora if you commanded them to go after the chicken, but they never actually seem to get it. This more of a problem for AI's because they don't tell thier units to go after a different animal when it happens. I hope this hasn't already been mentioned, I read through as much as I could before posting.

Some random maps still seed the chickens to inside the Civ Centre obstruction zone. This definitely needs fixed.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Now we need include in this topic some things about: how include a new faction process(MOD), search in forum, wiki source to new users...etc.

there are many topics in wrong place, and many asking for features and factions(time frame out).

And explain about some development like start to programming and where find it, not all know about our wiki. and explain about Mods posted in this Forum.

an example:

Aristeia (Bronze Mod) time frame between (1500 BC to 500BC).

Rogue Republic: this about a Modern Warfare Era like Command and Conquer.

For Honor and Glory sets in Medieval to Napoleonic(?)

Rise of East is set in China as know as China Mod in Han Dynasty.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 5 months later...

I'm confused about the performance/multiprocessor issue. Before multiprocessors were available there were games like this that ran fine on the one available processor right? Is 0AD doomed because it doesn't use the other cores?

On the same subject - I have a dual core system that I've installed a 64-bit OS on (Ubuntu). Will that help 0AD in the sense that it will make both cores available through the operating system as a single 64-bit processor?

I'm confused about the performance/multiprocessor issue. Before multiprocessors were available there were games like this that ran fine on the one available processor right? Is 0AD doomed because it doesn't use the other cores?

And in the 80s, there were games that ran fine on a few KBs memory and 8-bit CPUs with speed in the MHz :) Obviously requirements change, I assume you're referring to commercial games, and one reason they run fine is the developers don't care at all about crossplatform compatibility, so they can write sloppy fast code that is unintelligible and only works on, say, Windows and x86. And they don't care much about supporting old hardware. And they tend to be paid a lot for their work, which is full-time, and spend significant time and effort optimizing the game.

But actually, multiple cores or processors isn't a magic bullet, similarly 64-bit vs 32-bit CPUs aren't a magic bullet, the programmers have to understand how to take advantage of them, and there are a lot of design issues that are raised. In fact, a lot of commercial software struggles with this. It's a huge unresolved prickly problem in software development. The problems would be significantly worse if we didn't understand how to properly use multithreading, and did it anyway, than if we didn't even attempt it (debugging thread-related issues is a nightmare, for instance, and they can be very subtle).

Most of the time, for most code, there's no advantage, so you're adding unnecessary complexity, but when there is you have to understand the pitfalls.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...