Age of Mythology: Retold

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A really nice close-up look at the Greek buildings (Mythic Age textures).

What I notice right away is that they don't bother trying to "infer" detail in the diffuse textures. If a detail is smaller than a texel, then they don't add additional noise by trying to infer it. They don't try to "bake in" extraneous details and shadows. They also let the normal maps do a ton of heavy lifting. Those things combined with really good AO makes everything pop. The lack of "noise" in the finished products makes everything look new and fresh and professional. 

Honestly, a lot of 0 A.D.'s legacy assets (specifically textures) fail at this. I wish we had more manpower to comprehensively review all of our textures, identify the problematic ones, and update them. 

And now Atlanteans. :)

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A really nice close-up look at the Greek buildings (Mythic Age textures).

What I notice right away is that they don't bother trying to "infer" detail in the diffuse textures. If a detail is smaller than a texel, then they don't add additional noise by trying to infer it. They don't try to "bake in" extraneous details and shadows. They also let the normal maps do a ton of heavy lifting. Those things combined with really good AO makes everything pop. The lack of "noise" in the finished products makes everything look new and fresh and professional. 

Honestly, a lot of 0 A.D.'s legacy assets (specifically textures) fail at this. I wish we had more manpower to comprehensively review all of our textures, identify the problematic ones, and update them. 

And now Atlanteans. :)

Also the engine makes it look that good

20 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Screenshot_20241005-201927.thumb.jpg.7e23b29d02fb590460940d2423516cbc.jpg

I really like the concept of the AoM R GUI.

I'll try to see if I can copy this style of icons.

I can start with sketches and then go to vectors with gradients to finish them with Photoshop.

Does anyone know what the star in the stats means?Screenshot_20241005-202523.thumb.jpg.11e2d3c4a179ea27529b201f69c96d46.jpg