Jump to content

Introducing the Official community mod for 0 A.D. Empires Ascendant


wraitii
 Share

Should these patches be merged in the Community Mod? II  

47 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Centurions: Upgradable at a cost of 100 food 50 metal from rank 3 swordsmen and spearmen. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/27

    • Yes
      34
    • No
      6
    • Skip / No Opinion
      7
  2. 2. Alexander - Remove Territory Bonus Aura, add Attack, Speed, and Attack de-buff Auras https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/26

    • Yes
      26
    • No
      9
    • Skip / No Opinion
      12
  3. 3. Unit specific upgrades: 23 new upgrades found in stable/barracks for different soldier types. Tier 1 available in town phase, tier 2 available in city phase. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/25

    • Yes
      25
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      4
  4. 4. Add a civ bonus for seleucids: Farms -25% resource cost, -75% build time. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/24

    • Yes
      34
    • No
      7
    • Skip / No Opinion
      6
  5. 5. Cav speed -1 m/s for all cavalry https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/23

    • Yes
      15
    • No
      22
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  6. 6. Cavalry health adjustments https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/22

    • Yes
      19
    • No
      15
    • Skip / No Opinion
      13
  7. 7. Crush (re)balance: decreased crush armor for all units, clubmen/macemen get a small hack attack. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/20

    • Yes
      21
    • No
      16
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  8. 8. Spearcav +15% acceleration. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/19

    • Yes
      33
    • No
      4
    • Skip / No Opinion
      10
  9. 9. Pikemen decreased armor, increased damage: 8hack,7pierce armor; 6 pierce 3 hack damage. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/18

    • Yes
      18
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      11
  10. 10. Rome camp allowed in p2, rams train in p3 as normal, decreased health and cost. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/17

    • Yes
      36
    • No
      6
    • Skip / No Opinion
      5
  11. 11. Crossbow nerf: +400 ms prepare time. https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/15

    • Yes
      13
    • No
      18
    • Skip / No Opinion
      16
  12. 12. adjust javelineer and pikemen roles, rework crush armor https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/merge_requests/14

    • Yes
      12
    • No
      22
    • Skip / No Opinion
      13


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

As for the techs I think its nice to have potent techs that make an effect on a particular ship type, that way you actually choose which techs to get according to the naval strategy you are going for instead of just clicking almost everything like eco or land military techs

Right now, the best strategy is to NO techs. The techs for boats right now are more numerous than for inf/cav despite boats being made about 1000x less often than inf/cav. That just doesn't make sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I'd like to be able to make scout ship in p1. I think given how long p1 usually lasts, having an opportunity to "rush" on water would be nice. I think the details of which ships are too op/ up in navy fights aren't clear yet, but definitely ships need to be be killing fishing ships faster.

Totally disagree. I think the best thing that naval does (or used to do) is force a quick p2 to get war ships to kill fishing. If you put a fighting ship in p1 then fishing will be mitigated and people will just stay in p1 forever and make fields instead of bothering with fish. 

The balance is just bad. All ships are underpowered and none are worth making to fight. That is very clear. Luckily balance stats can be fixed. But the next round basically requires brand new stats because the current situation isn't informative. Navy is still totally conceptual to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

3. I do indeed would like to see Arrow Ships fire volleys of arrows instead of one at a time. I think there may be a patch somewhere for that. And then be awesome for the arrow ship tech to add arrows to this volley instead of reducing attack time.

I achieved this in my non-random buildingAI experiements. Tbh I think a faster fire rate would be fine too as an interim measure. This would be of interest anyway for onagers.

32 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

4. Balance etc. This was a first draft of the ship stats. Put into the community mod for yall to suggest good stat values. I guess a few rounds of idle complaints are necessary before the real work is done. For instance, I would suggest (among other things!!2) tightening up the accuracy of warships so they are stronger against land units and fishing boats.

I could do a round of updates at some point to address the points made here.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

Luckily balance stats can be fixed. But the next round basically requires brand new stats because the current situation isn't informative. Navy is still totally conceptual to me. 

Ya supposed to suggest some numbers, broham. Yer a balancer? (Maybe I'm mistaken).

I got you a decent ship concept. Now suggest some stats. The whole point of this exercise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2024 at 9:22 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Ya supposed to suggest some numbers, broham.

Somewhere I heard this advice and it has served me well: if a unit is initially OP, reduce one of its combat stats by half. If the unit is UP, double one of its combat stats. Keep doing this until the relationship flips, thereby bounding the balanced range for the statistic. Then start splitting differences until you converge on a balanced value.

The real big brain moment is realizing that this is is not just a good algorithm for converging on acceptable parameter ranges. It's actually easier to create stable Nash equilibria using strong dominance relationships, such as you get by sticking to powers of two stat-adjustments. The resulting strong counters will be much more stable against perturbations than a delicately fine-tuned dominance web.

I know 0 AD aspires to be a "soft counter" based experience, but I really think you guys will paradoxically make a lot more headway if you learn to be less cautious with your stat adjustments. When every piece of your balance web is fine tuned, adjusting any part is almost inevitably going to break other parts, creating obscure new problems as fast as you solve them. You end up needing to add compensatory adjustments across every node of the web, which in turn all cause their own adjustments that must be correctly compensated... it's an endless quagmire:

On 25/06/2024 at 10:48 PM, chrstgtr said:

We see a bunch of small problems with balance where things are just a little bit off. I can't put my finger on the exact problem or a solution but I think there is pretty wide agreement that balance isn't quite right. 

 

TL:DR - Try doubling the DPS of all boats. See how much that helps the UP-ness of naval units vs land ones. Then you will probably need to buff the HP of ram ships, since melee units benefit less from DPS changes than ranged ones. But after that you might be in the ball-park of the situation you want.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

https://gitlab.com/0ad/0ad-community-mod-a26/-/tree/main/community-mod/simulation/templates

May I suggest for ships:

 

template_unit_ship_warship

        <Pierce>12 20</Pierce>

      <PrepareTime>1500 1000</PrepareTime>
      <RepeatTime>3000 2000</RepeatTime>

 

template_unit_ship_warship_arrow

 -       <Pierce>15</Pierce>

    <Population>3 2</Population>

Line 36 tab -> spaces

 

template_unit_ship_warship_ram

        <Hack>200.0 150.0</Hack>

      <RepeatTime>8000 6000</RepeatTime>

    <Population>3 2</Population>

Line 51 tab -> spaces

 

template_unit_ship_warship_scout

    <Population>2 1</Population>

Line 27 tab -> spaces

 

template_unit_ship_warship_siege

        <Crush>125 150</Crush>

      <MaxRange>80 85</MaxRange>

        <Spread>6 3</Spread>

    <Population>4 3</Population>

Line 63 tab -> spaces

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/07/2024 at 5:49 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

ok, today version 10 is out! Be sure to check out the new sparta content and the updated values for naval units.

What is the best place to see release notes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/07/2024 at 4:49 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

ok, today version 10 is out! Be sure to check out the new sparta content and the updated values for naval units.

This is interesting.  I have one question about Sparta and the Neodamodes spearman they get in p3 for 30 food and 20 metal.  I assume their main benefit is the cheaper cost?

So it should be easier for the Spartan player to keep a high population. That is in addition to hoplite tradition tech making their regular spearmen train 25% faster.

Do we want Sparta to be a civ that can spam units easily? In earlier alphas Sparta had a -10% pop cap.  Was there a basis for that debuff? Or was that just hype around the famous "300" battle that didn't necessarily reflect Sparta over its strong period?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

This is interesting.  I have one question about Sparta and the Neodamodes spearman they get in p3 for 30 food and 20 metal.  I assume their main benefit is the cheaper cost?

So it should be easier for the Spartan player to keep a high population. That is in addition to hoplite tradition tech making their regular spearmen train 25% faster.

Do we want Sparta to be a civ that can spam units easily? In earlier alphas Sparta had a -10% pop cap.  Was there a basis for that debuff? Or was that just hype around the famous "300" battle that didn't necessarily reflect Sparta over its strong period?

The intent was for the neodamodes reforms to be kind of a last resort when sparta is low on military. IIRC the 180 pop debuff was there to justify superior infantry and champions, but it really wasn't worth it. When it was removed i think a lot of ppl were in favor of removing it.

The neodamodes are not intended to make sparta a spammy civ, so I think they should be made a little weaker than the regular hoplite infantry, and also maybe make them unaffected by leonidas.

Also, I think the p1 champs have turned out much less powerful than I anticipated, so I think i'll remove the train time penalty and move the movement speed tech to p1.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

The intent was for the neodamodes reforms to be kind of a last resort when sparta is low on military. IIRC the 180 pop debuff was there to justify superior infantry and champions, but it really wasn't worth it. When it was removed i think a lot of ppl were in favor of removing it.

The neodamodes are not intended to make sparta a spammy civ, so I think they should be made a little weaker than the regular hoplite infantry, and also maybe make them unaffected by leonidas.

Also, I think the p1 champs have turned out much less powerful than I anticipated, so I think i'll remove the train time penalty and move the movement speed tech to p1.

Fyi, I tried 2 games vs CPU to rush those Spartan champions - but I don't think it can be done on time. Maybe I didn't optimize Bo, idk. But with normal BO your Barracks are ready around 3:00 (or so) and you will have stronger eco + outproduce champions build, right? 

Btw, in general, I am curious why champions are so expensive in 0AD? I mean they are stronger but can't gather resources which is direct harming eco - according to this, shouldn't they be at least equally expensive? I am just curious why it's designed that way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BeTe said:

Btw, in general, I am curious why champions are so expensive in 0AD? I mean they are stronger but can't gather resources which is direct harming eco - according to this, shouldn't they be at least equally expensive? I am just curious why it's designed that way?

Once you’re fighting with champions you’re generally engaged in constant fight. The fact that they can’t gather is irrelevant as you generally would never use them for that. 
 

They’re more expensive for the reason you identify—they’re stronger. 
 

One can argue on whether their costs, in terms of resources and train time, are property set

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Once you’re fighting with champions you’re generally engaged in constant fight. The fact that they can’t gather is irrelevant as you generally would never use them for that. 
 

They’re more expensive for the reason you identify—they’re stronger. 
 

One can argue on whether their costs, in terms of resources and train time, are property set

Yeah that makes sense. Tho, I think I actually used CS units to gather resources (metal/wood) near battlefield/center of map between fights. If you need to quickly rebuild units from 10 Barracks after big loses and you're low on food, you want women to gather food and CS for wood/metal. Unless you are floating something, which is usually suboptimal, at least in other RTSes. Tho, I guess in most cases you start floating some resource before fight is started, so maybe this is not always case... 

What I talk about, I like ability to choose more economy/macro or more military buildings during game. According to that, if you chose military approach, you must 1) scout 2) if he goes eco, be more aggressive and make damage so you don't fall behind. Otherwise, if you go eco, you need to 1) scout opponent and see what he builds 2) properly react (if he is going military) you need defenses, walls, play defensively, etc.

Maybe I am wrong and fixated to how other games works. But 0AD is weird to me (doesn't mean wrong/bad, idk yet)...

Edited by BeTe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BeTe said:

Yeah that makes sense. Tho, I think I actually used CS units to gather resources (metal/wood) near battlefield/center of map between fights. If you need to quickly rebuild units from 10 Barracks after big loses and you're low on food, you want women to gather food and CS for wood/metal. Unless you are floating something, which is usually suboptimal, at least in other RTSes. Tho, I guess in most cases you start floating some resource before fight is started, so maybe this is not always case... 

What I talk about, I like ability to choose more economy/macro or more military buildings during game. According to that, if you chose military approach, you must 1) scout 2) if he goes eco, be more aggressive and make damage so you don't fall behind. Otherwise, if you go eco, you need to 1) scout opponent and see what he builds 2) properly react (if he is going military) you need defenses, walls, play defensively, etc.

Maybe I am wrong and fixated to how other games works. But 0AD is weird to me (doesn't mean wrong/bad, idk yet)...

No disrespect but you have some things to learn about 0AD. I think you're the one who created another thread on whether 0AD should have less units on the screen. In that thread, the OP started with a bunch of premises (like it's hard to identify the types of units present), which just aren't true once you get more experience playing. 

All this is to say, yes, OAD is different from some other RTS. That doesn't necessarily make it worse, though. And, I suspect a lot of the opinions you are saying now will change as you gain more experience/get better at the game and realize some of the things you are doing now don't make a ton of sense. 

Anyways, cheers and welcome to the community. 

Edited by chrstgtr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

No disrespect but you have some things to learn about 0AD. I think you're the one who created another thread on whether 0AD should have less units on the screen. In that thread, the OP started with a bunch of premises (like it's hard to identify the types of units present), which just aren't true once you get more experience playing. 

All this is to say, yes, OAD is different from some other RTS. That doesn't necessarily make it worse, though. And, I suspect a lot of the opinions you are saying now will change as you gain more experience/get better at the game and realize some of the things you are doing now don't make a ton of sense. 

Anyways, cheers and welcome to the community. 

1) i forgot what I actually wrote, but "hard to identify" is visual not mechanical issue for me (at least now). It just looks ugly (and it's subjective ofc). 

2) Yeah basically you are right, i just need to learn that's why i wrote "idk yet". Usually if I write something, it's not for purpose of teaching others but rather for learning purpose. (Dialectical approach?) Definitely I should make it clear, but essentially my goal is to encourage people to prove me wrong or explain some parts i am missing. I give my perspective and hope for different one. Anyways, you just reminded me to start this thread: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/120864-advanced-players-1v1-replays/ , so I'd really appreciate someone to teach me a bit. :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

One can argue on whether their costs, in terms of resources and train time, are property set

My general feeling is that Champs could be a little weaker and a lot cheaper. I have no hard data to show, though. Just my general feeling. I like Age of Mythology's "champ" cost ratio to standard units better than 0 A.D.'s. So, that colors my view, for sure. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My general feeling is that Champs could be a little weaker and a lot cheaper. I have no hard data to show, though. Just my general feeling. I like Age of Mythology's "champ" cost ratio to standard units better than 0 A.D.'s. So, that colors my view, for sure. 

I’m mostly fine with them. Except for how they take forever to make. I can have all the resources and 10 unit producing buildings and I will still choose not to produce them during a battle because their production is so long that my army will become too small by the time they’re ready to fight. Having to unlock them is also a pain that I find unnecessary.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

I’m mostly fine with them. Except for how they take forever to make. I can have all the resources and 10 unit producing buildings and I will still choose not to produce them during a battle because their production is so long that my army will become too small by the time they’re ready to fight. Having to unlock them is also a pain that I find unnecessary.

I agree with this. They take way too darn long to train compared to citizen soldiers and unlocking is a pain. It would be different if citizen soldiers took longer too. The ratio is what's important, and 2x training time is too much. What if....

 

Unlock tech available in P2 for barracks, get them unlocked for free at the Fortress in P3. So, they're available by default in P3 from expensive Fortresses, but have the option to unlock them early in P2. Also, lower train time:

 

Infantry Champs 20s -> 15 seconds.

Cavalry Champs 25s -> 20 seconds.

Elephant Champs 36s -> 25 seconds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Unlock tech available in P2 for barracks

It won't change anything--it'll be cost prohibitive. What's the point of having it? It adds a ton of time and costs a ton to do. 

51 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Fortress in P3

Don't care. No one is going to spam forts to use as a barrack. 

51 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Infantry Champs 20s -> 15 seconds.

Cavalry Champs 25s -> 20 seconds.

Elephant Champs 36s -> 25 seconds.

Fine. I would probably be more radical but conservative is a better approach. If that makes champs too strong then champs' stats should be nerfed. 

 

My view is: if you can afford it, it should be available. Everything else, including long train time and locking them behind a tech, just encourages CS spam. 

Edited by chrstgtr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I'd like to keep up diversifying champion units. I think it could be cool to let the kushite axe champs be a bit cheaper, weaker, but fast moving.

We did the chariot mixin, longsword mixin (not comm mod, but could be), we have the persian immortals weapon switching now.

Any other ideas?

I'd suggesting looking into what DE has done with Hoplites and Phalangites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I'd like to keep up diversifying champion units. I think it could be cool to let the kushite axe champs be a bit cheaper, weaker, but fast moving.

We did the chariot mixin, longsword mixin (not comm mod, but could be), we have the persian immortals weapon switching now.

Any other ideas?

It might be fun to do something non-military. A couple ideas below.

1-a unit that can collect resources. This would allow you to potentially mass them early, so it’s not a huge drain to have a bunch of idle units. This would be especially helpful in p2, i think. 
 

2-a unit that can build. Either a really quick builder. Or a unit that can build really cheap/free buildings. It plays with the idea of territory expansion, which has untapped potential, I think. Also, deals with the problem of champs being a huge drag on eco like (1) above, which, again, would be real helpful if available in p2. 
 

3-something like the Han minister but stronger. 
 

One other note, I don’t think all champs becoming gimmick units is desirable. It’s ok that more than one civ has champ swords, or whatever, that function the same as another civ. With that said, having one fun unique unit can give a civ a real unique feel if it’s done right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Stan` changed the title to Introducing the Official community mod for 0 A.D. Empires Ascendant

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...