LocalRatings mod - evaluate players' skills based on previous games

Mentula

This is pretty cool. FYI: After installing and starting it up, I had to click "Rebuild List" before I was able to get actual ratings. Once I clicked that, it worked fine.

If we're posting our own ratings for comparison, my rating here with this mod was 3.43. My lobby rating is 1286.

Edited by thephilosopher
  • Like 1

seems some games are not into that list.
example  ValihrAnt is not in the list (but i find many replays with ValihrAnt). did i makes a different if a replay is recorded with boonGui?

sorry i found him:

image.png.4ed11b2de8fc4d1124536255a814d180.pngimage.png.36b7d24312ec6e90a6e9b3fccd565c15.png

Edited by seeh

17 minutes ago, seeh said:

It would be great if you could limit the time. E.g. the last x months. Or the last 50 games. Then the games where you played really badly would no longer be included

The main problem with restricting the sample of replays to a limited amount is statistics. The more replays you have, the more accurate the rating of a player is, therefore it is disadvisable to rely on data extracted from a small (though recent) sample.

5 minutes ago, Mentula said:

disadvisable to rely on data extracted from a small (though recent) sample

sure but if you have played many years then you have data. then i not very interested to calculate the first years.
as a workaround we could remove games out of the replay folder.

or a other idea: maybe you could waigt in calculation games stronger that not very old. so it not needet to be configed :)

Edited by seeh

@Mentula I would recommend adding an uncertainty label after the main rating, calculated based on how many games they have played with you. This will prevent players with just 1 fluked match getting ridiculously high ratings. 

For example, leGrosRobert is at the first place although he is arguably not the best player in your list. Furthermore, 2 of Yekaterina's smurf accounts are way better than you and weirdJokes, although I doubt whether she is actually that talented.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Sevda said:

@Mentula using your default settings, this is the leaderboard for me:

image.thumb.png.60124a9593857c56eb2b4a7eafa97939.png

And I find myself with no rating :(

image.thumb.png.163356f17b74386c2d4e26eb3bcd4ac2.png

Why is it that so many players have a score of 0?

Hum that is a bit strange, it could be a bug. It's actually the first time I see it and at the moment it's hard to find the cause. @Sevda I'll send you a private message to investigate (maybe tomorrow, now it's late in my timezone). Thanks for reporting!

2 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

If someone will play only 1v1 vs much weaker players, the player can get easily a very high "rating". So you can think that its rather like a win rate than like a rating. Just saying

I personally disagree with this interpretation of the rating. First of all, it's true that someone who mostly plays against weaker players gets a higher rating, no doubt. However, I disagree on the interpretation of the rating as a win rate (in any context: 1v1s, TGs, ...). The rating assigned by the LocalRatings mod (the default one, as well as any user-customized rating using different weights) is very distant from representing a win rate. A win rate of 20% means that the player wins 1 out of 5 games, which is not good; on the other hand, a rating (as in the LocalRatings mod) of 20% means that the player's graph in the Summary chart is 20% better than the average graph, which in other words means that the player performs very well (and therefore presumably has a high win rate).

In my experience with this mod, a player with a rating of 20% is a strong player; I wouldn't say the same of a player with a 20% win rate.

However, let me clarify one thing again: this mod is based on statistics. In statistics any of us can imagine a "limit case" (it could be, for example, a player who only plays with much weaker players). On the bright side... this mod is based on statistics! This means that, generally, a player who plays with different types of players will experience more reliability in the ratings data.

56 minutes ago, Sevda said:

Furthermore, you can farm ratings easily using virtual machines (although I haven't been able to work out the maths behind the rating system), so I am inclined to trust Mentula's ratings mod more than Vanilla Lobby's ratings evaluation. 

This comment actually gives me the possibility of clarifying one thing. Assigning a rating to a player can be something very arbitrary and will never make all of us agree. So, I tend to see the rating of a player as the player's performance over the average, or, if you prefer, their contribution to the game. But this is just my interpretation of it. The lobby's rating evaluation is a system only takes into account the win rate, whereas the LocalRatings mod takes into account scores. In this sense, they don't conflict, they just represent two different things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mentula said:

Hum that is a bit strange, it could be a bug. It's actually the first time I see it and at the moment it's hard to find the cause. @Sevda I'll send you a private message to investigate (maybe tomorrow, now it's late in my timezone). Thanks for reporting!

Sevda's issue is the same issue I had at first. I solved it by clicking "Rebuild List," and then all the scores populated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1273841976_Bildschirmfotovon2022-05-1512-33-38.thumb.png.9c14dcb752e0e5f8ec6e1ff15d294524.png

My ratings, based on resources (creating a resource gives a point, sending resources to allies too, destroying gives a point, capturing resources which are buildings gives almost 2 points (not exactly 2 because you often cant keep the building), basic loot is considered (its hard to consider the loot which results in units carrying resources))

• Like 1

Dear 0 A.D. friends,

I am happy to announce a new release of the LocalRatings mod! Most notably, the new release includes the following new features.

1. The rating of a player and the number of games played appears next to the player's name in the Match Setup page. This will hopefully make balancing games an easier task. See image below.
  2. A new Player Filter has been added to the mod: now it is possible to filter out players depending on their rating or the number of games they played.
Spoiler

lobbyS.png.6fdf5a2e9fa475b24fbb79d301764ccb.png

Download and install: you can download the new release (v0.25.5) of the mod from the zip file attached to this post or from the zip file attached to the first post of this thread or from the official page.

I wish to thank all the forum users who gave feedback and suggestions. A special thanks goes to sanafur, who suggested the above (and other possibly future) features.

Have fun!

LocalRatings-v0.25.5.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

with this new update (v0.25.6) of the LocalRatings mod, one can filter out matches with a given number of players, number of teams, or matches with uneven team composition. For example, one can exclude all 1v1 matches from the rating computation; or, conversely, one can consider 1v1 matches only! See image below.

Spoiler

teamcompositionfilter.thumb.png.0e60bb261d3c221529d910b79010e9ad.png

Thanks to sanafur who suggested the update!

Download: as usual, you can download the new release (v0.25.6) of the mod from the zip file attached to this post or from the zip file attached to the first post of this thread or from the official page.

LocalRatings-v0.25.6.zip

• Like 2

I like this a lot, it seems valuable for balancing.

However: If I host a TG and balance based on how well people play versus me, am I likely to get a balanced game? I guess this comes down to the certainty of the score (how many matches I have played)

so the recipe for a balanced TG is to balance my (the host's) local ratings on both sides, correct?

Also one problem: Since the Local Rating is only visible in match setup in the absence of 0ad's ratings, it is rare to see other's local ratings. This limits the potential for the mods use as a balancing tool.

^Nevermind, this is not the case. It was just a coincidence I have never played these two below me.image.thumb.png.67546be909bb1e49d7c923c119dc0656.png

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce