Healers - why not giving them an aura with a +0.X regeneration rate?

Jofursloft

People have been saying that javelins are op, but I think if they are it is only slightly.

In a25 they feel op but this is because of the way infantry fights always go.

Melee die first with almost no damage to ranged units even if you try to target them. Because of this the best ranged unit is the one that can kill melee the fastest: skirmishers.

If ranged units  were able to shoot at the back of a group of enemies, then pikes would seem less op and skirmishers would also be less op.

Stat wise these units are quite balanced, but because of this mechanism, we see op skirms.

there has been a good discussion and some great ideas posted on the “magnetic pikemen” page.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

My personal question just thinking about how I understand the goals of 0AD, is why are there healers in the first place? Just because people remeber wololol? They are super ahistorical and make little sense. Combat healing is illogical unless we are talking about magic and stuff. Perhaps I misunderstood how heavily 0AD focused on history and plausible battles.

• Like 3

On 03/09/2021 at 11:31 PM, MoLAoS said:

My personal question just thinking about how I understand the goals of 0AD, is why are there healers in the first place? Just because people remeber wololol? They are super ahistorical and make little sense. Combat healing is illogical unless we are talking about magic and stuff. Perhaps I misunderstood how heavily 0AD focused on history and plausible battles.

Isn't it neeeneeeneee, neeeneeeneee, neeeneeeneee?

Nm, apparently I have some minor hearling loss.

On 04/09/2021 at 5:31 AM, MoLAoS said:

I guess because temples are nice features and you want some use to them.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2021 at 5:31 AM, MoLAoS said:

My personal question just thinking about how I understand the goals of 0AD, is why are there healers in the first place? Just because people remeber wololol? They are super ahistorical and make little sense. Combat healing is illogical unless we are talking about magic and stuff.

AFAIK Alexander the Great had some treatments ready for his soldiers, like tourniquets against bleeding. The Romans had an increasingly specialized treatment of soldiers.

21 minutes ago, alre said:

I guess because temples are nice features and you want some use to them.

Or maybe because priests were the first who practiced medicine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

AFAIK Alexander the Great had some treatments ready for his soldiers, like tourniquets against bleeding. The Romans had an increasingly specialized treatment of soldiers.

Or maybe because priests were the first who practiced medicine.

I guess 0AD doesn't have technically accurate combat injuries just health points but I saw an argument in the rgen resourcs thread about how trees wouldn't grow back in the time period of a skirmish and it seems like the same logic would apply to combat for broken bones and other serious injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoLAoS said:

I guess 0AD doesn't have technically accurate combat injuries just health points but I saw an argument in the rgen resourcs thread about how trees wouldn't grow back in the time period of a skirmish and it seems like the same logic would apply to combat for broken bones and other serious injuries.

A fair argument.

1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

Do note that one can view our HP system as a combination of physical and mental health (e.g. morale).

Agreed. So much in the game is an abstraction, and that's the only way a game of this type can function. So, yeah, "Health" can definitely be conceptualized in this way. 

29 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A fair argument.

Agreed. So much in the game is an abstraction, and that's the only way a game of this type can function. So, yeah, "Health" can definitely be conceptualized in this way. 

This is true but it somewhat defeats arguments that are functionally similar about other features. Like you can't build a boat with 10 mediocre trees. Or the fort model has a ton of wood compared to tree models. So regening trees/a forest over time would make sense as long as it was okay/balanced gameplay wise.

Should be some consistency in discussion over mechanics choices.

• Like 1