Feldmap a26

Feldfeld

2 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Please consider removing "IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks" in mod.json for feldmap. It has an unintended side effect of not ensuring that players are using the same version of the mod. This can lead to game crashes or OOS errors at seemingly random times if players have different versions, which is very common.

Did this actually happen? I believe it is impossible. The only thing my mod change are the generations of the new maps added by the mod, namely Mainland Balanced and Alpine Mountains. There is nothing changed to any other aspect of the game.
If map generation is different, it will be the case from the very start of the game. The simulation is different, and it will be detected immediately by the game (which I believe has an efficient hash-based mismatch detector).
My update to feldmap removed Nubia from the Mainland Balanced biome, that's all it did. I believe it is impossible it will induce crashes or OOS like you describe.
I already have instructions ready if players face an OOS/crash at the very beginning of the game on the Mainland Balanced map only, which is the only moment it could happen if my logic is correct. I also didn't receive complaints about it.

Personally I observed a few OOS at beginning of alpha 26, and I didn't yet update my mod at the time IIRC.

9 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

Did this actually happen? I believe it is impossible.

I haven't tested it, but there are a lot of complaints of crashed and disconnected games recently. Would you rather roll up your sleeves and help people with the troubleshooting process or do the easier thing and eliminate all possibility that feldmap is causing the problem? What's the benefit to having IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks, anyway? People should absolutely be using the same version of the mod if Mainland TG is in use. We haven't tested all code paths with differing versions.

Edited by Norse_Harold

I have the impression (cant be sure) that if I participate as an observer with another version, this sync error occurs. happened to me the day before yesterday. that would be an explanation. I don't know if that was the reason but I suspect it was. sometimes i have to switch between versions to watch replays. At first I was concerned that the cause could be an own mod development. but that would have surprised me. now I'm pretty sure it wasn't my mod. i will (it is best) use always (first) use the latest feldfel version.

Edited by seeh

1 hour ago, Norse_Harold said:

I haven't tested it, but there are a lot of complaints of crashed and disconnected games recently. Would you rather roll up your sleeves and help people with the troubleshooting process or do the easier thing and eliminate all possibility that feldmap is causing the problem? What's the benefit to having IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks, anyway? People should absolutely be using the same version of the mod if Mainland TG is in use. We haven't tested all code paths with differing versions.

Well, what happened already with the troubleshooting process of wave of OOS? I have not been informed if this happens exclusively with Mainland Balanced (that would quite clearly be an issue), or if this happens in Mainland too. For more than a year, players without feldmap have played TGs on Mainland with players using feldmap without any issue because the mod is compatible and doesn't change Mainland generation in any way.
(also do players play TGs on Mainland Balanced now? Last I knew they didn't and preferred Mainland)

The benefit of IgnoreIncompatibilityChecks is to allow players having the mod to play games (like TGs) with players that don't have feldmap. Otherwise, players would have to disable it to join a game, or won't be motivated, split, and make their own game. Or players without feldmap (like pure TG players) will be forced to install it to play a normal game, which is more bloat on top of possibly them not knowing what could expect. This can lead to a 4-way split in lobby and more annoyance overall.

Edit: also anyone motivated could install feldmap 0.2.0 and watch the replays of round 2 of my tournament, which have been played in 0.2.1, they will see that they won't have any issue watching them.

Edited by Feldfeld
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

Well, what happened already with the troubleshooting process of wave of OOS?

I'm not aware of an OOS wave. But usually even when they are reported we are missing information. We need the ooslog of all players or at least the host and the one out of sync