Jump to content

A25 Feedbacks from testing


Recommended Posts

My opinions after testing out git version of A25 on 12/5/2021:

1. Very good graphics improvement, very sharp and well optimised indeed. 

2. Please change the model of the berries. They are still difficult to spot amongst the green background. If the artists @Stan` @Lion.Kanzen can make berries mostly blue or red then that would be much easier to see. 

3. Would be great to see some more campaigns added. 

4. Tutorial could be more helpful if there is a cavalry unit involved, and if we start with a noob-friendly civ like Britons or Romans. Spartans are OK I guess but Syssiton and Skiritai commandos might confuse some nubs, and they are hard to master. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

3. Would be great to see some more campaigns added. 

4. Tutorial could be more helpful if there is a cavalry unit involved, and if we start with a noob-friendly civ like Britons or Romans. Spartans are OK I guess but Syssiton and Skiritai commandos might confuse some nubs, and they are hard to master. 

Feel free to adapt the tutorials, make more.

15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

 

2. Please change the model of the berries. They are still difficult to spot amongst the green background. If the artists @Stan` @Lion.Kanzen can make berries mostly blue or red then that would be much easier to see. 

I'll see what we can do, but no promises
 

 

AOM AOE 0 A.D.: Empire Ascendant
farm1.jpg Mill Placement 2 image.png
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind if you just put a single blueberry there to represent a patch of berries. 

Blueberry. One Bilberry Isolated On White. Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty  Free Image. Image 36495274.

A model of blueberry

 

I will make one in Gimp so you know what I mean

 

I really wouldn't mind it looking like this, because it is easy to see, which is the most important thing!

Untitled.thumb.png.e9dbc769741aa3b2f524ce22b8c37d71.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

really wouldn't mind it looking like this, because it is easy to see, which is the most important thing!

Okay, so it would be over my dead body. :)

I have an idea that might work, without much extra work.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the long term, what about a "resource hotkey" which toggles between normal view mode and a "resource view mode" where resources are highlighted? That would combine both realism and visibility...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

In the long term, what about a "resource hotkey" which toggles between normal view mode and a "resource view mode" where resources are highlighted? That would combine both realism and visibility...

Ahh I like the idea. All competitive matches will be resource view and relaxed games will be realism view. I can't program this though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This means we can have more intense 4v4 on giant with pop limit 300! I am already excited just imagining it! 

Who cared about good graphics when  you can have performance?

Edited by Yekaterina
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Who cared about good graphics when  you can have performance?

I do. And I'm not alone on this one either. Most of the art related lag is not due to the berries, but to the unit props such as shields and helmets. If you want to improve performance by simplifying the art, you should focus on the unit props. There's already some code that's being worked on for a switchable LOD option, @Stan` knows more about this than I do. But berries are definitely not the problem.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, m7600 said:

But berries are definitely not the problem.

Berries don't lag, but they are a bit difficult to see. I would like a model which is very obvious from the green background. Also the chickens can be bigger as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Berries don't lag, but they are a bit difficult to see. I would like a model which is very obvious from the green background.

But at the same time, I feel like they shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

14 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Also the chickens can be bigger as well

They are made to scale, directly proportional to the size of the units. And they're already stretching that, since they are quite big. Making them even bigger would turn them into velociraptors.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

What about we make a compromise here:

1. Use the pink fruit trees as the starting berries resource

2. Use sheep instead of chickens because they are bigger. 

I don't think that a merely verbal dispute can resolve an issue such as this one. The course of action that I would suggest is that you make a mod with these and any other features that you like, and then let the players decide which version they prefer: yours or the vanilla one. If they prefer yours, then that will help your argument tremendously, and your changes would probably get incorporated into the main game.

This being said, I don't think that the majority of people want to get rid of chickens, or making the berries stand out, but I could be wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...