• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it would help if the berries looked more like the harvest. Sketch:  

Made them bigger and added a decal.  

I wouldn't mind if you just put a single blueberry there to represent a patch of berries.  A model of blueberry   I will make one in Gimp so you know what I mean   I real

Posted Images

My opinions after testing out git version of A25 on 12/5/2021:

1. Very good graphics improvement, very sharp and well optimised indeed. 

2. Please change the model of the berries. They are still difficult to spot amongst the green background. If the artists @Stan` @Lion.Kanzen can make berries mostly blue or red then that would be much easier to see. 

3. Would be great to see some more campaigns added. 

4. Tutorial could be more helpful if there is a cavalry unit involved, and if we start with a noob-friendly civ like Britons or Romans. Spartans are OK I guess but Syssiton and Skiritai commandos might confuse some nubs, and they are hard to master. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

3. Would be great to see some more campaigns added. 

4. Tutorial could be more helpful if there is a cavalry unit involved, and if we start with a noob-friendly civ like Britons or Romans. Spartans are OK I guess but Syssiton and Skiritai commandos might confuse some nubs, and they are hard to master. 

Feel free to adapt the tutorials, make more.

15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

2. Please change the model of the berries. They are still difficult to spot amongst the green background. If the artists @Stan` @Lion.Kanzen can make berries mostly blue or red then that would be much easier to see. 

I'll see what we can do, but no promises

AOM AOE 0 A.D.: Empire Ascendant
farm1.jpg Mill Placement 2 image.png
  • Like 3
Just now, Yekaterina said:

:D

Thanks, but please do not copy AOM and AOE;  we can make much better models than them. 

Feel free to give me a better example. :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if you just put a single blueberry there to represent a patch of berries. 

Blueberry. One Bilberry Isolated On White. Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty  Free Image. Image 36495274.

A model of blueberry

I will make one in Gimp so you know what I mean

I really wouldn't mind it looking like this, because it is easy to see, which is the most important thing!

Untitled.thumb.png.e9dbc769741aa3b2f524ce22b8c37d71.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

really wouldn't mind it looking like this, because it is easy to see, which is the most important thing!

Okay, so it would be over my dead body. :)

I have an idea that might work, without much extra work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In the long term, what about a "resource hotkey" which toggles between normal view mode and a "resource view mode" where resources are highlighted? That would combine both realism and visibility...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

In the long term, what about a "resource hotkey" which toggles between normal view mode and a "resource view mode" where resources are highlighted? That would combine both realism and visibility...

Ahh I like the idea. All competitive matches will be resource view and relaxed games will be realism view. I can't program this though.

53 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Okay, so it would be over my dead body. :)

Absolutely. I much prefer the AoE style bushes instead of a single gigantic berry. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, wraitii said:

(but I was making a joke)

You think you are joking but I like the idea. It would save so much CPU and GPU processing!

We can add it as a graphics option for intense games

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

This means we can have more intense 4v4 on giant with pop limit 300! I am already excited just imagining it! 

Who cared about good graphics when  you can have performance?

Edited by Yekaterina
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Who cared about good graphics when  you can have performance?

I do. And I'm not alone on this one either. Most of the art related lag is not due to the berries, but to the unit props such as shields and helmets. If you want to improve performance by simplifying the art, you should focus on the unit props. There's already some code that's being worked on for a switchable LOD option, @Stan` knows more about this than I do. But berries are definitely not the problem.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, m7600 said:

But berries are definitely not the problem.

Berries don't lag, but they are a bit difficult to see. I would like a model which is very obvious from the green background. Also the chickens can be bigger as well

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Berries don't lag, but they are a bit difficult to see. I would like a model which is very obvious from the green background.

But at the same time, I feel like they shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

14 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Also the chickens can be bigger as well

They are made to scale, directly proportional to the size of the units. And they're already stretching that, since they are quite big. Making them even bigger would turn them into velociraptors.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

What about we make a compromise here:

1. Use the pink fruit trees as the starting berries resource

2. Use sheep instead of chickens because they are bigger. 

I don't think that a merely verbal dispute can resolve an issue such as this one. The course of action that I would suggest is that you make a mod with these and any other features that you like, and then let the players decide which version they prefer: yours or the vanilla one. If they prefer yours, then that will help your argument tremendously, and your changes would probably get incorporated into the main game.

This being said, I don't think that the majority of people want to get rid of chickens, or making the berries stand out, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1