Look of the athenian champions

My idea. Let's keep it simple, shall we? 

To differentiate the Epilektos from other champion spearmen, let's make them have -1 all armor types, but +10% speed, +20% attack range, and +10% attack. I can make a slightly longer hoplite spear for them and also resize a smaller aspis for them.

I don't think a champion needs to necessarily look more armored than an elite citizen unit, especially since if they historically did not necessarily wear more armor.

If you want to change the name, then I am open. In the old days we had to make it simple, and the "Ekdromos" didn't seem like a good fit for a champion, hence the genesis of the Epilektos (and the Marine) which combined the aspects of the Picked Hoplite and Iphicratean reforms.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

To differentiate the Epilektos from other champion spearmen, let's make them have -1 all armor types, but +10% speed, +20% attack range, and +10% attack. I can make a slightly longer hoplite spear for them and also resize a smaller aspis for them.

(All) Greek hoplites were better armored than their opponents with the large shields and body armor. I prefer not to see Athenian Hoplites have less armor than Carthaginian Sacred Band or Persian Immortals. I will still settle for it if they beat all other champion spearmen except Spartiates and Hypaspists :D.

I don't think a champion needs to necessarily look more armored than an elite citizen unit, especially since if they historically did not necessarily wear more armor.

Better warriors are more likely to capture or be able to afford better armor, but I agree it is not necessarily a rule. 

If you want to change the name, then I am open. In the old days we had to make it simple, and the "Ekdromos" didn't seem like a good fit for a champion, hence the genesis of the Epilektos (and the Marine) which combined the aspects of the Picked Hoplite and Iphicratean reforms.

Please don't change the name from Epilektos. It fits perfectly :).

About Scythian Archers; I really think they should remain as archers rather than use clubs. They may be using clubs for policing the citizenry, but the game does not have civic order in its scope. Regardless of their peacetime equipment, they will pick up their bows against the enemy, just as citizen soldiers working as lumberjacks drop their axes and pick up their spears. Please don't separate them from their bows.

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

What about player colored linen cuirass? and colorful tunics with player color accent? I made these before as prototype concept for the mercenary hoplites

EjlQv6TVoAY5vaL?format=jpg&name=medium

Nice :)

• 1 month later...
On 16/3/2022 at 9:49 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

image.thumb.png.d8c7b391f68187df25df593127e3a4ab.png

This was not part of my request though, but we can see the huge difference between the Athenian elite and champion hoplite.

It was actually about the proposed champion hoplite/skirmisher hybrid in the sketch (not the colored one which depicts the "Epilektos") in the first page of this thread:

38F7F4C4-64E0-428E-93C3-DB86AFEBE3EE.webp.a05d602fa8f96395ddb7d98b3ab8b795.webp

With the intention of bringing back the stoa thureophoros (champion skirmisher) from Alpha 23, in a way, when secondary attacks become a thing.

Edited by Carltonus
Adding image
  • Like 2