Notifications on Phabricator

I don't understand. When you click on the link above, you get to this page, right?

image.png

As written there, your notifications should already be limited to what you are subscribed to.

Do you have an example of a change that you would not have wanted to receive a notification for?

You're not subscribed to this diff, you shouldn't receive any notification about it. Are you talking about the public Activity stream? You cannot possibly catch up with everything. You should rather manually subscribe to what you are interested in, and monitor your emails or notifications depending on your preferences (by notifications I mean the small bell icon on the top left).

30 minutes ago, badosu said:

Interestingly I see this on the bottom of the page, but I didn't perform any action:

This is a bit confusing indeed. It is a summary of the pending actions you would perform if you clicked "Submit". By default it would subscribe you. If you write inline comments, or choose actions in the Add Action.. menu, they will be added to the summary, waiting for you to press Submit.

Part of the problem is that the “O11: Templates (Balancing)” group is automatically added to any patch that includes a file from the simulation/data/ or simulation/templates/. Ideally only those that are explicitly labelled [gameplay] would be. Just a few examples that don't affect gameplay balance at all but have the O11 group added nonetheless:

There are dozens more.

23 hours ago, Nescio said:

Part of the problem is that the “O11: Templates (Balancing)” group is automatically added to any patch that includes a file from the simulation/data/ or simulation/templates/. Ideally only those that are explicitly labelled [gameplay] would be. Just a few examples that don't affect gameplay balance at all but have the O11 group added nonetheless:

There are dozens more.

In this case the best thing to do would be to create a Herald rule which is triggered when a diff title contains [gameplay]. Anyone can create such a rule, to be notified whenever they want :)

The so-called "Code owners" (O11 and the like) are only determined by paths of modified files. I think it's still interesting to have that.

14 minutes ago, Itms said:

In this case the best thing to do would be to create a Herald rule which is triggered when a diff title contains [gameplay]. Anyone can create such a rule, to be notified whenever they want :)

The so-called "Code owners" (O11 and the like) are only determined by paths of modified files. I think it's still interesting to have that.

While I'm not opposed to the existence of code owners groups, the people currently included in O11 (@badosu, @borg-, @Feldfeld, @scythetwirler, @Stockfish, @ValihrAnt) are not interested in every patch, only in the subset that affect gameplay balance. Basically split the group in two:

• “simulation data and templates” (current repository paths)
  • “gameplay balancing” (current people)

and add a global herald rule to set the gameplay balancing group as a reviewer to any patch that includes [gameplay] in its title.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Itms said:

I will create instead a Balancing user group with the Herald rule Nescio proposes (y)

Thank you, that's better! @scythetwirler appears quite inactive and could be removed from O11 too.

One more thing, while I tend to put [gameplay] in the patch title, there is no guarantee others do exactly the same, so the https://code.wildfiregames.com/H13 won't capture e.g. GAMEPLAY: or [balance]. False positives (e.g. D368) are less annoying than false negatives (e.g. D2737), therefore maybe change the H13 conditions to any patch of which the tag or title includes:

• balanc
  • Balanc
  • BALANC
  • gameplay
  • Gameplay
  • GAMEPLAY

i.e. no brackets or colons, and no -e or -ing.