Jump to content

===[COMMITTED]=== Aspis Remake


Recommended Posts

On 8/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, Alexandermb said:

image.png

Powers of two are presumably easy, and there is nothing wrong with having four or eight semi-circles along the edge of shields; however, keep in mind Hellinistic shield patterns with five, six, or seven semicircles were also quite common; a couple more variants would be nice to have.

Edited by Nescio
ce
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello 0.A.D. Community, today i post this week work in Art Development addtions. Aspis Remake A new mesh fully 3D with less than 300 tris. Better quality Textures. First step is remake all

Short comparisson on the quality of the update:  

Some ancient images: Also note that the Latin clipeus is equivalent to the aspis. [EDIT]: Shield patterns according to Duncan Head (1982) Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars 359 BC to

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Powers of two are presumably easy, and there is nothing wrong with having four or eight semi-circles along the edge of shields; however, keep in mind Hellinistic shield patterns with five, six, or seven semicircles were also quite common; a couple more variants would be nice to have.

Sounds reasonable wouldn't mind adding more variants.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Having animations re-export committed i can commit this.

I just noticed how noisy the texture are... that's too bad maybe we could have run them through denoising. Fortunately they look good from the distance :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I just noticed how noisy the texture are... that's too bad maybe we could have run them through denoising. Fortunately they look good from the distance :)

Yeah @Lion.Kanzen noted that too, but textures were taking too much to bake so i reduced bake amount time and the cost was some noise, but as himself said too "it looks okay from distance" 

Spoiler

 

Sacrifice a lil bit of quality for keep the laptop alive.

image.png

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sorry to say, but the higher resolution shield textures are lost (blur out) due to mipping and anti aliasing. 

 

8 hours ago, Stan` said:

Pics ?

 

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'll get you some after work. Lol

screenshot0214.thumb.jpg.be262380e2398000db9f8d0b1d0bb03f.jpg

A major problem is all of the noise/dirt thrown all over everything. Whereas the old shields looked parade-ready, these look like dirt was smeared everywhere and to make it worse, the noise is almost always the same pattern. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Just some of the patterns need to be bolder, and a lot of the noise/dirt needs removed. You have to be able to see the patterns at standard camera zoom. Right now, it feels like they were made for some kind of Unity-based RPG. ;) Not hating, these are great work. Just offering some opinion for what it's worth. I want the game to look good just like you do. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yep. Just some of the patterns need to be bolder. You have to be able to see them at standard camera zoom. Right now, it feels like they were made for some kind of Unity-based RPG. ;) Not hating, these are great work. Just offering some opinion for what it's worth. I want the game to look good just like you do. :) 

Yes indeed but we talk regulary in private, somethings I mentioned will be remade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I guess animating them would be nice

Is that old vs new ?

Yeah. Old on the left, new on the right. You can see that the new ones are better artistically, but I would say a lot of the old ones are more "readable" than the newer ones. I think the new ones are largely an improvement, but I think many of them could be tweaked to be better from a gameplay camera viewpoint. Part of the problem I think is that the new ones are also 512x512 which get antialiased quite a bit when zoomed out and the details get lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah. Old on the left, new on the right. You can see that the new ones are better artistically, but I would say a lot of the old ones are more "readable" than the newer ones. I think the new ones are largely an improvement, but I think many of them could be tweaked to be better from a gameplay camera viewpoint. Part of the problem I think is that the new ones are also 512x512 which get antialiased quite a bit when zoomed out and the details get lost.

Yeah we should resize them down to either 256x256 or 128x128. Probably the former as those shields are quite big about (half the unit without the head) To respect the 'Texel Density' they should be half the texture size of the unit texture. Will probably help with the noise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...