Faction : Nomads Xiongnu

Lion.Kanzen

10 minutes ago, Lopess said:

Is this perhaps the most suitable wonder for the Xiongnu?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noin-Ula_burial_site

"one is an exceptionally rich burial of a historically known ruler of the Xiongnu, Wuzhuliu, who died in 13 CE"

xiong_wonder.jpg.998ba459aa73ab04418964850b57df2b.jpg

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10814-011-9053-2/figures/3

008-86_Q640.jpg

I'd say it is a solid option.

Tongwancheng could be another choice, more visually impressive but harder to render (would require some speculation).

If not for wonder, maybe use white city for possible wall or fortress?

Not sure exactly how but i think it would be interesting to portray some of the settled aspects of steppe peoples.

Quoting a post from another thread with some ideas about that.

Spoiler
On 11/10/2018 at 4:31 PM, Genava55 said:

https://www.docdroid.net/UAhXdak/xiongnu-combined.pdf

It seems that the Xiongnu did have some agricultural fields in the south-east border of their Empire where foreigners could settle. It wasn't really their own population but they were a kind of vassals the Xiongnu used to have enough food the winter, to have metals, textiles and others craftsmanship.

There is small walls even in pastoral fields and fortified small settlements probably to stock and protect food and goods.

The Xiongnu seems to have the same superior bow than the Huns.

Edit: to summary a bit what I see for the moment.

- The Scythians have a varied roster possible. From the Greek authors, there is mention of mounted javelinists and horse archers with the famous hit-and-retreat and ambush tactics. From archaeology, there is swords and pickaxes, spears, various squale armours and shields. The pickaxe is probably an answer against armours and must be an advantageous. The Sarmatians and the Eastern Scythians developed further heavy lancer cavalry and cataphracts. Normally each Scythians warriors, even armoured ones, have both bows and lances. Something to think about if the switching weapons is implemented one day. Crimean Scythians seem to be often separated from their northern Neighbors, having sometime a different king than the others Scythians. I suggest then for balance and historical reason to put the Crimean in a reform to be chosen with the further Sarmatian's development as an alternative. Since the Sarmatians destroyed the Crimean Scythians, it is logical that the player must chose between two different pathways.

- The Xiongnu is more obscur but several patterns seem to emerge and we can make reasonable assumptions. The Xiongnu built their empire on a multiethnic basis  with sedentarian populations in their border. They must have the possibility to built defensive fortifications and farms. Since the mod make the difference between civilian and militarian buildings, it should be possible to let sedentarian based units to build such civilian buildings. It would explain why sometimes the Xiongnu have a lot of infantry during the defense of their borders against the Han (although with a very mediocre efficiency). Contrary to others nomads cultures, the Xiongnu have inhabited on their territory for a very long time. The Xiongnu have superior "hunnic-like" bows, long double edged swords, spears and leather and iron squale armour. For their horses, it doesn't seem there is any cataphract, only padded linen and silk protection probably against the arrows can be guessed from archaeology. 

- The Huns are clearly the more mobiles and have clearly the best horse-archers. Not only because of their superior bows but also thanks to battle tactics. In the archaeology, the Huns seem similar to the Xiongnu but with indications they start using mail armour in Europe. They must be the best raiders. The possibility to hire Germanics units should give them better shock units both in cavalry and in infantry. There is not mention of any cataphract or any armoured horseman. The Avars (closely relatives to them) did have good lance cavalry. Attila was very good in siege warfare during his campaign against both eastern and western Romans.

Hierarchical classification, I suggest (to discuss):

Horse-archers - Huns > Xiongnu > Scythians

Close-combat cavalry - Scythians > Huns > Xiongnu

Armoured cavalry - Scythians with nomad reform > Xiongnu > Scythians with Crimean reform > Huns

Lancers cavalry - Scythians with nomad reform > Huns > Xiongnu > Scythians with Crimean reform

Combat infantry - Huns > Scythians with Crimean reform > Xiongnu >  Scythians with nomad reform

Archers infantry - Huns > Xiongnu > Scythians

Economy (self-production) - Xiongnu > Scythians > Huns

Economy (Raiding) - Huns > Xiongnu > Scythians

Siege abilities - Huns > Xiongnu > Scythians

Defensive structures - Xiongnu > Scythians with Crimean reform >> Scythians with nomad reform = Huns

This is clearly a matter of interpretation. 

• Like 1

Yes, I understand, I saw some things about Tongwanchengbut it is from 419, I don’t believe that it is prohibitive for the mod (my indications for Zapotec heroes are from the 4th century), but if one day they decide to add the Xiongnu to 0 A.D it would be a problem. I really don't know much about what to research. I didn't find many graphical references for reference about Tongwancheng :(

Edited by Lopess

5 minutes ago, Lopess said:

Yes, I understand, I saw some things about Tongwanchengbut it is from 419, I don’t believe that it is prohibitive for the mod (my indications for Zapotec heroes are from the 4th century), but if one day they decide to add the Xiongnu to 0 A.D it would be a problem. I really don't know much about what to research. I didn't find many graphical references for reference about Tongwancheng :(

The ideal would be to do generic things in that  case  of haven't any heroes or wonders.

12 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The ideal would be to do generic things in that  case  of haven't any heroes or wonders.

But we have well-documented heroes for the Xiongnu of the period before 1 BC. the question of wonder is something vast, since for a civilization a wooden statue grid or the burial of a great king is something really important.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lopess said:

But we have well-documented heroes for the Xiongnu of the period before 1 BC. the question of wonder is something vast, since for a civilization a wooden statue grid or the burial of a great king is something really important.

Bigger = better if isn't the case is just a monument with a bonus like a pillar or obelisk...you know.

24 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Bigger = better if isn't the case is just a monument with a bonus like a pillar or obelisk...you know.

I believe that objectively the Xiongnu need a Wonder  (due to the game mechanics that all civilizations have), since we must look for something in their history in which we have to create something good and convincing for them, I do not expect "nomads" to have pyramids from the size of the Egyptians or the Maya, but something that in the way of life and in the culture they were something really significant. I believe that both the royal tombs Noin-Ula and the city Tongwancheng are good candidates, I would only find it sad and indigestible for not giving them due attention until the next launch, and in the end they end up with a random Stonehenge in victory mode for wonder.

Edited by Lopess
  • Like 1

The Big Steppe Kurgans as Architectural Monuments

The steppes of Eurasia, a wide belt stretching from the Central Asian plateau, the Ordos, in the east to the Danube in the west have been inhabited, throughout the whole history of mankind, by numerous tribes and nations. Burial complexes or, as they are commonly referred to, kurgans are a striking illustration and often the sole evidence of their unique and expressive culture that reached our time. The mounds grouped in bigger or smaller clusters are the most numerous archaeological monuments on the continent and in the course of the past thousands of years have turned into an integral part of the steppe landscape. Yet, in the last two hundred years a great number of these unique burial architectural monuments have been irretrievably lost

https://scfh.ru/en/papers/the-big-steppe-kurgans-as-architectural-monuments/

26 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

The Big Steppe Kurgans as Architectural Monuments

The steppes of Eurasia, a wide belt stretching from the Central Asian plateau, the Ordos, in the east to the Danube in the west have been inhabited, throughout the whole history of mankind, by numerous tribes and nations. Burial complexes or, as they are commonly referred to, kurgans are a striking illustration and often the sole evidence of their unique and expressive culture that reached our time. The mounds grouped in bigger or smaller clusters are the most numerous archaeological monuments on the continent and in the course of the past thousands of years have turned into an integral part of the steppe landscape. Yet, in the last two hundred years a great number of these unique burial architectural monuments have been irretrievably lost

https://scfh.ru/en/papers/the-big-steppe-kurgans-as-architectural-monuments/

I always thought "Royal Kurgan" would make a great Scythian wonder. 

On 18/03/2021 at 1:21 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Have you worked more on this? Looks good.

Buenas ,

-Estoy trabajando en algunos bocetos de "Edificios especiales" , pero me está costando más de lo que pensaba , y al igual que pasa con las casas o algún otro edificio , estoy creando de 1-4 modelos para cada estructura dependiendo de los vestigios o reconstrucciones que corroboren que son Xiongnu o de ese período y región ( es decir , no voy con rapidez pero no me detengo:sweatdrop:)

-Cuando tengan la suficiente calidad como para ser presentados con un mínimo de rigor y estética , los presentaré .

Disculpen las molestias*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

He could have a carriage too, so I read that the elite Xiongnu burials owned them and were linked to the powerful classes of the time. Modu I believe it could be an archer cav and his bonus related to that also for obvious reasons lol. Laoshang some weapons and armor han? Symbolizing the tributes received at the time, as well as your hero bonus?

Mostly I need help. MilleniumAD broke the AI, because of all the techs changes, and at this point I suppose the safest would be to make it play like vanilla which isn't so great.

Ponies Ascendant is mostly good, need a release announcement. There are some little graphic  bugs but nothing too serious

Terra Magna, Now that's a tough one, since I split the han I'm not sure what to do with it.

Pyrogenesis 1866 - Need more buildings/units to be playable

Pyrogenesis 1944 - Need more buildings/units to be playable

Stella Artis - Need more buildings/units to be playable

Dwarves - Need more buildings/units to be playable

Aristeia - Needs heavy testing and probably some fixes.

• Like 2