Pathfinder issues

WhiteTreePaladin

Just wanted to mention some pathfinding issues. I know it's a long process, and really appreciate the working being done.

1. Units get stuck trying to drop off resources at the edge of a building.

This seems to be mostly fixed. Haven't had this issue in a long time.

2. Units ignore movement orders. (The reintroduction of formations has allowed this to affect groups of units rather than just single large units.)

This happens many times during a match and interferes with enjoyment of the game. It occurs with larger units like rams and lately has begun to affect formations of units.

3. Units sometimes ignore impassable terrain and structures. (This started fairly recently.)

This includes units sailing over mountains and walking through structures. On rarer occasions, ships even move around on land.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 1

Just wanted to mention some pathfinding issues. I know it's a long process, and really appreciate the working being done.

2. Units ignore movement orders. (The reintroduction of formations has allowed this to affect groups of units rather than just single large units.)

This happens many times during a match and interferes with enjoyment of the game. It occurs with larger units like rams and lately has begun to affect formations of units.

3. Units sometimes ignore impassable terrain and structures. (This started fairly recently.)

This includes units sailing over mountains and walking through structures. On rarer occasions, ships even move around on land.

Last is http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3410

I'd really like a commands.txt for the second one, which is a UnitAI problem (not a pathfinder problem) I can't manage to reproduce.

I'm pretty sure I encountered the issue with rams and formation groups in the attached commands.txt. It wasn't the worse case of it that I've had, but it did happen repeatedly.

(Had to rename metadata.json to get it to upload.)

commands.txt

metadata_json.txt

I don't remember the revision, but it would have been whatever was current on the Git repo this past Sunday (27th) afternoon (3:00 or so).

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 1

I also attach a very short commands.txt showing some problems: a bunch a cav is ordered to move to a given point, and the order succeeded only after the cavs made a lot of back-and-forth moves. In this small test (200 turns), I had to order them to move 3 times for the order to succeed. If we remove by hand the 2nd and 3rd move order from the commands.txt, the group of cavs is blocked at the first obstacle met, and strange enough, one of them stay in FORMATIONMEMBER.WALKING. while all others are in IDLE state.

commands.txt

Hi.

I'm new here so I hope I won't say too much stupid things... :bye:

I'm using 0AD v18 since a week or so.

I've noticed that sometime the game get quite stuck, i.e. framerate drop to 1/sec, sometimes lower.

Having try to reproduce (proper word in English?) the bug, I notice it tends to happens when unit try to go to unreachable place and "keep trying finding a new path".

Smell to me like when years (20 :D ) ago I was doing basic computer science and the program get stuck in an infinite loop, eating all ressources, because the number of allowed loop for any process was set to high.

I'm a newbie related to programming, but I wonder if a simple solution would be something like "

- try to find a path to reach the location

- if you can't try again and increase value $pathtried of one

- if pathtried ever reach 10 (or any pre-set value), stop moving (and tell the stupid player that you don't have wings :fool: )

One of the issues I'm seeing with the pathfinder and formations is that it prevents formation movement through gaps. A good example is on Acropolis Bay (2), take 3-4 of your initial military units and try to send them down the hill toward the middle of the map. They will walk the long way around the back even though they have no problem going down the hill individually. I don't know if this is an intentional behavior to try to improve formation pathfinding, but the result is quite awful in this case. It's not clear what is happening based on the pathfinder overlay.

• Like 1

the summary of all bugs related to pathfinder (pics)

more bugs

female ai units stuck in own wall.

UJzlEk0.jpg

units stuck between buildings and a forest

5aLjgjG.jpg

cavalry range roman stuck by own friends

mAsRFNO.jpg

farm stuck units

ofs1xIh.jpg

see the 2 farms near CC

n3tT53g.jpg

units climbing hills and get stuck

RoWurqG.jpg

wj1ROwH.jpg

actor inside wall

FDkl3di.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Since formations were enabled again in r17028, units in formation are stuck frequently at obstructions, mostly at resources. They seem to become stuck once one of the units are stuck and don't retry finding a path. When using no formation, they are stuck rather rarerly.

Often many walk-orders are required to resolve it.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/raw-attachment/ticket/3505/formation_stuck_in_metal.gif

post-13978-487255_thumb.gif

• Like 1

Historic_bruno, my friend, I tested the latest SVN17136, found the problem still exists.

Soldiers and cavalry suddenly in there to do, and do not move around freely.

BTW: when cavalry and soldiers hunting for Gaia, only in the presence of prey keep do go without meat of hunted prey.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I tested the latest version of SVN17146, these problems still exist

Just an update: wraitii and others have been doing some great work on the pathfinder, and many issues have been solved. Now we need as much testing as possible before A19 :)

And a note on formations specifically: the team discussed this during today's meeting; it seems they have many problems compared to A18, so we may have no formation set by default in A19 (units will move all individually unless a formation is chosen), until they can be properly fixed. Again, some testing is needed to decide this.