Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

13 hours ago, alre said:

they don't if they are on passive stance.

I see.

13 hours ago, alre said:

think about how archer cav would be a lot more effective at disrupting eco.

More effective? Are you sure? (Genuine question, not rhetorical)
As it is now they will just kill your units one by one, which also disrupts your economy, through lost work + those units' cost in resources and training time.

(I admit I'm new to 0 A.D., but I'm a veteran in AoE, where this strategy is terribly efficient against the AI)

New suggestion, and IMHO a quite important one:

Please show the group number on grouped units! (as a tiny floating number?)
In the map view, and/or (at very least) on the portrait when selected.

Quick example: I have 3 cavalry scouts I've hotkeyed as Ctrl-8, 9 and 0. When I see one on the map, I'd like to know on a glance which one it is, and not have to push 8, 9 and 0 to see which key (if any) selects it... I've been using groups a lot, for years, and without displaying the individual memberships on the screen they lose half of their interest (you can't use them to easily keep apart different task groups of identical units).

• Like 1

A couple minimap suggestions. The 0 A.D. minimap can easily be improved:

1. Please highlight the selected unit(s) on the minimap (in white) so you can see where they are.

2. Minimap visibility is not optimal, especially given the player is in dark blue and thus tend to blend into the background. Would it be possible to mute (de-saturate?) the minimap background, so that important features (units, buildings) stick out more?

3. Or even create a set of display filters for the minimap, like "Show only units/buildings on a gray background", "show only friends/enemies", "show only resources".

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

A couple minimap suggestions. The 0 A.D. minimap can easily be improved:

1. Please highlight the selected unit(s) on the minimap (in white) so you can see where they are.

2. Minimap visibility is not optimal, especially given the player is in dark blue and thus tend to blend into the background. Would it be possible to mute (de-saturate?) the minimap background, so that important features (units, buildings) stick out more?

3. Or even create a set of display filters for the minimap, like "Show only units/buildings on a gray background", "show only friends/enemies", "show only resources".

try BoonGui mod, it enlarges the minimap and changes players colors.

47 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

(I admit I'm new to 0 A.D., but I'm a veteran in AoE, where this strategy is terribly efficient against the AI)

these games are very different in the way eco is managed by units that are also fighters.

Oops, missed your post. :blush:

22 minutes ago, alre said:

try BoonGui mod, it enlarges the minimap and changes players colors.

these games are very different in the way eco is managed by units that are also fighters.

Sure, but why not make it a standard game feature? I mean, everything can be added externally, but the game should be self-sufficient.

As for the economy, except the excellent idea to drop the specialized male peasants, there is IMHO not much difference. It still boils down to controlling/harvesting specific resources and preventing the adversary from doing so.  :shrug:

20 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

Sure, but why not make it a standard game feature? I mean, everything can be added externally, but the game should be self-sufficient.

this is a question of organization of the game development and it's not a simple subject, ideally you a right, but suffice it to say that the main releases of the games are actually on a halt right now.

22 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

As for the economy, except the excellent idea to drop the specialized male peasants, there is IMHO not much difference. It still boils down to controlling/harvesting specific resources and preventing the adversary from doing so.  :shrug:

well, in AoE there is no harm to use your soldiers in any other way than let them kill themselves, in 0AD you want them to do eco rather than chase enemies they can't catch. By simply having them distracted, you are lagging behind in economy.

26 minutes ago, alre said:

suffice it to say that the main releases of the games are actually on a halt right now.

All right, that's a piece of information I didn't have. :(
I saw RC27 was released and thought the development process is ongoing (albeit very slow, as usually for that kind of project).

A pity, this game is great. Needs just some polishing, there are just some rough edges remaining. You people are most likely used to them by now (and know how to bypass them), but they are obvious to a newcomer like me.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 11:22 AM, alre said:

that isn't necessarily better than doing nothing. It could lead to mass suicide. Fleeing looks like a much better default to me. In the end the player needs to handle it anyway.

if it's their whole army you should probably be aware and then you retreat until you gather more.  So maybe its part of the aggressive stance and YOU can CHOOSE which to use :) something though where if they send a small raiding party and you are attacking their base and dont realize the alerts "you are being attacked" are from your base, the men in X area can work together to fight/chase up to x distance.

In the list of those "please, pretty pretty please, must have" features, allow us to set the stance units built in a building arrive in. (i.e. being able to set that units built in a given building will rather default to "defensive"/"passive", etc.).

Right now new units always default to "aggressive" -- and off they go to conquer the world all on their own, one after the other. It's like herding cats, only more annoying. I've lost more units to irrepressible blood lust than to enemy action... :rolleyes:

Right now Gaia is always hostile to everybody, and that can't be changed.
Please make it possible for scenario makers to set Gaia stance to neutral vs. the AI player(s) and vice versa.

If set, Gaia would only attack the human player, it wouldn't attack the AI player(s)' units, and the AI player(s) wouldn't attack Gaia (besides hunting/fishing and such, but I think those don't count as aggressions).

The point is to prevent an overeager AI from cleaning up any hostile wildlife for you, and/or to prevent the AI from suffering from hostile wildlife attacks in scenarios where Gaia is kind of an additional adversary.

On 09/09/2023 at 3:32 PM, krt0143 said:

off they go

A stance button for production buildings would be nice. @krt0143 Do you know about rally points? With selected production building(s) right click on a point/res/building and units will go there (+CTRL to garrison inside production building).

I'm ok with Gaia being a wildcard, and I think hunting is aggression towards Gaia. So I don't know if it would be possible to make it neutral with an AI player and that AI player still be able to hunt.

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Do you know about rally points?

Sure but it doesn't change anything. If any enemy units comes near, your units will start chasing them, instead of waiting for whatever task you had planned for them.
Of course you could set that rally point way back, in safe lands, somewhere no enemy will ever be seen, but then what's the point of creating unit facilities near the front lines?... Also sometimes it's just not possible, so you're forced to micromanage, wait for every new recruit and quickly set him manually to "Defensive".

It would be so much easier if you could set the building to create units with a given stance, like in AoE.

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I'm ok with Gaia being a wildcard, and I think hunting is aggression towards Gaia.

It depends: From a PvP perspective, Gaia should indeed be aggressive against everybody. But in a player vs. computer game perspective, you just want to up the challenge for the player. There is no advantage in having the AI fight with itself.

Also, that "aggression" thing was meant from a coding point of view: I wouldn't be surprised if Gaia has no code stating that "if player B attacks me, player B is to be considered an enemy", simply because it doesn't need it, since it currently defaults to being hostile to everybody.
So if you use the "neutral" option, the AI player should be able to do the worst things to Gaia -- without any chance of Gaia "getting angry". :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

it was set to random

If you mean "Map type: Random", that doesn't mean it will randomly pick one. It means it will show you all the Type = "Random" maps (as opposed to type "Skirmish" or type "Scenario" ones). Random type maps are those which are created from a seed according to an algorithm, like in AoE.

But you certainly know this, so I'm not sure what you mean. On top left I only have the players' settings.  :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion for the editor (Atlas):

When you point the cursor over a landscape texture, the editor tells you which one it is.

There are lots of similar textures, and they are a little all over the place, so sometimes I'm there wondering which one was this one. Unless I write a detailed log of all textures I used and where, I'm reduced to trial and (mostly) error...

A feature where the editor tells you over which texture your mouse cursor currently is would be great to have, and make texture painting much easier. Just make it a small overlay in a corner, like the FPS thing.

10 hours ago, krt0143 said:

Suggestion for the editor (Atlas):

When you point the cursor over a landscape texture, the editor tells you which one it is.

There are lots of similar textures, and they are a little all over the place, so sometimes I'm there wondering which one was this one. Unless I write a detailed log of all textures I used and where, I'm reduced to trial and (mostly) error...

A feature where the editor tells you over which texture your mouse cursor currently is would be great to have, and make texture painting much easier. Just make it a small overlay in a corner, like the FPS thing.

Another idea would be for the editor to dynamically create a biome tab with all the terrains used on the map