Planned Disruption - Migration to git and Gitea

Itms

8 hours ago, Itms said:

I'm going to add a script for copying the nightly windows prebuilt files into the git repo. That way you would be able to modify in the git repo and test there without back and forth. I already did that for pulling translations and spirv shaders, I could also do that for the built game (it would obviously be Windows-only, but that would cover team artists).

Friendly reminder that us Linux users can run the EXE so it isn't!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2024 at 8:44 AM, Itms said:

I'm going to add a script for copying the nightly windows prebuilt files into the git repo. That way you would be able to modify in the git repo and test there without back and forth. I already did that for pulling translations and spirv shaders, I could also do that for the built game (it would obviously be Windows-only, but that would cover team artists).

Done! I grouped together all the features in a single script.

In an up-to-date git clone, you can run the script "binaries/system/get-nightly-binaries" to download the built game, the translations, and the Vulkan shaders. All of those files are ignored by git and will not interfere with your workflow as artists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itms said:

Done! I grouped together all the features in a single script.

In an up-to-date git clone, you can run the script "binaries/system/get-nightly-binaries" to download the built game, the translations, and the Vulkan shaders. All of those files are ignored by git and will not interfere with your workflow as artists.

This is nice. Is there a way I can rebase my main branch off of 0ad/0ad?

On 05/09/2024 at 2:21 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This is nice. Is there a way I can rebase my main branch off of 0ad/0ad?

Ahoy, sorry for not answering sooner.

You'll have to use the command-line only once so that your clone is aware of the existence of the "upstream" repository 0ad/0ad. (I'm a bit baffled to see this is not supported by Github Desktop (and everyone is pissed off in their bugtracker), but alas.)

Go to your clone, and inside of it, right click and open Git Bash.

Run the command

git remote add 0ad https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad.git

and exit Git Bash.

Now in Github Desktop, you can rebase in two steps. First, click the "Fetch origin" button at the top. It should display in quick succession "Fetching origin" then "Fetching 0ad", the latter indicates that it becomes aware of changes in the main repository.

Then, in order to rebase your own branch, you use Branch > Rebase current branch, and you select 0ad/0ad as the base branch.

Let me know if something is afoot.

3 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Eventually, clicking on "Development" will not lead to trac? And the "future" redirections will go? (I don't know exactly how they're supposed to work, but for example trying to use it from /log/ps results in an error message.)

Yeah the links are bit inconsistent right now.

Thanks for that huge migration work.

On 22/08/2024 at 2:41 PM, Itms said:

In a nutshell:

• If you are a regular player just regularly testing the latest development version: you should ditch your svn copy and instead clone the new "nightly-build" svn repository at https://svn.wildfiregames.com/nightly-build/trunk. Use "svn update" as usual to get the latest changes daily

So it's a git+svn workflow? Does that mean the game files are now spread across two repositories? On part on the git repo and the rest on an svn repo?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tuxayo said:

So it's a git+svn workflow? Does that mean the game files are now spread across two repositories? On part on the git repo and the rest on an svn repo?

It is a git workflow, on a single repository.

SVN is still used as a storage solution for two things, but not for storing the development history, i.e. it is not our VCS anymore.

1. We still have some bundled libraries for building the game, they are stored in SVN but we'll get rid of that over time. It's a bit arcane and as a contributor you should not be concerned about it.
  2. Additionally, we continuously deliver a nightly built version of the game so that players can test the latest version without any knowledge of git. This uses SVN because our community is used to it by now. SVN allows users to update their nightly build incrementally, without having to re-download everything daily. Release bundles will also be automatically packaged using the nightly build.
  • Like 1