Some problem: spam(bots)

Player of 0AD

4 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Anyone who wants to register can easily look that up, but I don't think the bots are smart enough to do so.

If chat-gpt can answer the question, yes the bots are smart enough now.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

There is already one.

621787345_Facebook-GoogleChrome01112010163830(1).jpg.8aafdd1b24757c7d570da487b31b731c.jpg

This can be combined with a bombing of complaints to the account.

That is to say that if it gets to have bombing of reports , then the post is hidden and remains under review and the spammer's account is locked.  

The word is nuked, to nuke a post.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

User moderation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_moderation

""User moderation allows any user to moderate any other user's contributions. Billions of people are currently making decisions on what to share, forward or give visibility to on a daily basis.[19] On a large site with a sufficiently large active population, this usually works well, since relatively small numbers of troublemakers are screened out by the votes of the rest of the community. Strictly speaking, wikis such as Wikipedia are the ultimate in user moderation, but in the context of Internet forums, the definitive example of a user moderation system is Slashdot"".

On 10/02/2024 at 12:39 PM, ShadowOfHassen said:

Ask a question related to history in the login and have it change every so often.

Like:

Who was sparticus's father?

Or:

What did Plutarch call Heroditous?

Anyone who wants to register can easily look that up, but I don't think the bots are smart enough to do so.

It was a sort of Easter egg idea. If it doesn't work, that's fine.

On a side note, llama said Plutarch called Herodotus the father of history. Which was not the answerer.

Who removed the spam posts? Are there moderators, or is it the job of the developers?

41 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

The other day an account was over six years old. That's some long term planning...

I have a potentially naive question: Why here? This is just a tiny place where people talk about history and open source games. Usually they don't even post in a language we can understand, and (hopefully) we're too smart to click on the link. Why do they bother? They just get banned.

11 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I have a potentially naive question: Why here? This is just a tiny place where people talk about history and open source games. Usually they don't even post in a language we can understand, and (hopefully) we're too smart to click on the link. Why do they bother? They just get banned.

Google positions our forum well, it has hundreds of topics with valuable information that use modders from other forums 

• Thanks 2

about captchas, something like "which of these is a champion unit" would really work better than anything else, I'm not joking. It's a test too challenging for any AI not spefically trained for it, only thing to worry about would be if we want out the humans who can't solve it as well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, alre said:

about captchas, something like "which of these is a champion unit" would really work better than anything else, I'm not joking. It's a test too challenging for any AI not spefically trained for it, only thing to worry about would be if we want out the humans who can't solve it as well.

There are many moral dilemmas that an Ai is not prepared to answer.

It has the same morals with the instructions of its creators.

Chatgpt, for example, is only limited to 2022 events.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Do you know this captcha?

Record_2024-02-11-22-29-45_exported_0.jpg.97603f4a41b7d8e29a96e0fc607235e7.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Ks-C4YJGnc

Seems to be a newly developed system. And I assume it's made in such a way that bots using most recent technology can't pass.

I have to say though, they can get very annoying. When you get one wrong you have to start all over. And the amount increases. I once had to do twenty or so. But it depends on the implementation.

What about having to solve a captcha like this when registering a forum account?

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 1

Artificial intelligence seeks to give answers that do not give favoritism, I asked him for 0A.D's favorite unit, he did not give me any satisfactory answer and eluded to give me a concrete answer.

Here there are 2 reasons, it is not able to decide and it does not know the units of the game.

----

We can have 2 or 3 filters for bots.

11 hours ago, alre said:

That could work.

9 hours ago, Vantha said:

Do you know this captcha?

Record_2024-02-11-22-29-45_exported_0.jpg.97603f4a41b7d8e29a96e0fc607235e7.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Ks-C4YJGnc

Seems to be a newly developed system. And I assume it's made in such a way that bots using most recent technology can't pass.

I have to say though, they can get very annoying. When you get one wrong you have to start all over. And the amount increases. I once had to do twenty or so. But it depends on the implementation.

What about having to solve a captcha like this when registering a forum account?

This is also a good idea. I had to do it to register an X account. It took me around 5 minutes. It seems like it'd be really bot proof.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 12:27 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Screenshot_20240212-002255.png.d793c4b02ec2288950755d261402b53c.png

This obviously names like Jason or Kenneth to try to sound like a real name instead of a nickname.  

These bots seem to be made for boomer forums.

The modus operandi is the same.

Screenshot_20240213-074716.thumb.png.c3afa2f5800664744f8f8f491bd8a52a.png

The nickname is absurd for the thematic (a early 2000 RTS) and nicknames we use here.

I imagine with those nicknames a forum for older people.

ee63653ec3a747acbb36e0a85e53e029.jpeg.21b8b4eda92881eac26d7704c37af917.jpeg

An illustrative image of what I imagine a user with such formal and serious nicknames should be like.

In a forum of military history and antique collecting I believe it.

On 12/02/2024 at 11:44 PM, ShadowOfHassen said:

It's a test too challenging for any AI not spefically trained for it, only thing to worry about would be if we want out the humans who can't solve it as well.

I'm starting to worry about newbies who won't be able to solve this captcha and will rush around the forum in a panic, not knowing where to turn for help))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexandra said:

I'm starting to worry about newbies who won't be able to solve this captcha and will rush around the forum in a panic, not knowing where to turn for help))

quite too early for worrying. but in fact I guess the champion units captcha would be a problem for people who look for help because they can't install the game, for instance. too bad, it was a fun idea.

• Like 1