Suggestions for A28

Lion.Kanzen

0 A.D take the history in your hands!

obaAg6Q.png

I wish:

More technologies for early and second phase.

more cultural and religious background.(Bonus in stats and HP, XP).

More units. new sub classes. ( Differentiate units with little armor and with a lot of armor)

More maps.

More interactive things for maps.

New modes. (sacred Sites)

More differentiated factions. (assymetrical)

More strategies.

More Eyecandy

More Zoom.

New GUI Features.

New Gameplay Features: new mechanics.

people always ask for more factions from the mods.

• Like 2

Useful: spies, when the enemy has less than 10% or 5% of total population that are visible to avoid eternal games without surrender -.-
I would like to be able to use the ibero map that Numancia edits, but from the A24 I cannot open it with the editor, I will have to look for it....
Useful castles, they must be used for something, such as a giant warehouse would be useful, heavy castle shots or with some technology that improves them
catas and bolts that do damage friend, to avoid tactics of massive troops so that the machines kill them with millimeter precision
built-in auto civ and boonGUI mod
king of the hill game mode or capture relics and have them give some buff, allied troops controlled by AI cheaper specific troops or a trickle of resources

Iberians: soliferrum similar to the heavy skirmisher and cav with sword, which the Carthaginians have but not the Iberians -.-
specific animation for knocking down buildings, using an ax or a two-handed hammer

30 minutes ago, soloooy0 said:

Useful: spies, when the enemy has less than 10% or 5% of total population that are visible to avoid eternal games without surrender

maybe a technology like a spy ring or gossip network as name and work to reveal all enemy players It depended on the number of enemy units.

• Like 1

I think you have to redesign the distribution of resources in some random maps.

The resources that exist in the Alpine valley are very poor.

There is no hunting, or variety of animals, there are no berries. There are no mines or quarries. Only the initial, there are farm animals like sheeps.

On 01/04/2023 at 4:12 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

More technologies for early and second phase.

Some things from p3 can be moved to p2 and some things of p2 might be moved to p1.

more cultural and religious background.(Bonus in stats and HP, XP).

More differentiated factions. (assymetrical)

We do have several good techs and units for differentiation. However some of these differentiations could be buffed such that they get a more prominent role in the game.

For example: Nobody uses Briton dogs in p3. So now Britons just are the Javelin Chariot faction. Persians have the axe cavalry, which I would discourage from using (better focus on javelin cavalry). Mauryas/Kushites have some special Champions (and maybe special healers) which we barely see at all. Carthaginians have the colonization tech, which we don't see often but allows cheap CCs. Romans have special walls that get used rarely.

Though I wouldn't antagonize new bonuses either. I prefer bonuses to be represented visually. Instead of only giving it cool stats, special building/units should also be seen.

More strategies.

I think this is probably the biggest problem of competitive 0ad. Booming is the most reliable strategy and to easier to execute than rushing.

It is a bad incentive if the strategy(rushing) that is more difficult to execute, gives worse results than booming.

For the next alpha 0 a.D, I wish:

01 - Fewer maps! Yes, fewer! Curatorship is something basic in any project. the official version of the game should bring only the best of what has been done and improved over the years. Anyone who wants many (other) maps, community maps, etc. should look for them in repositories community/mods, etc.

02 - More scenery elements: ruins, trees, animals, corpses/skeletons, waterfalls... these are elements that enrich the game and do not pose a technical challenge for implementation, although they require work from artists and designers.

03 - Indication of Wikipedia articles that describe the element the text box is about. Whenever possible, the 0 a.D. text box that deals with a civilization, historical person, weapon, architectural element, historical map, etc. should end the text with something like "Read more about it here", with the word "here" being clickable and referring to the article of the thing itself on the English Wikipedia. It would be an excellent way to take advantage of the educational potential of the game.

04 - Deeper implementation of Vulkan and the latest versions of Spidermonkey.

05 - At least one Amerindian civilization from the southern part of the continent, although the documentation of these civilizations is scarce in the period in which 0 A.D contemplates. Still, it would be great, diverse, and exciting for tweaking and discussion in future versions.

06 - Redesigned menu for downloading mods. Install a mod on 0 a.D. remains a task for experienced players. What is needed is a more descriptive and intuitive menu, which does not assume prior knowledge of RTS games.

07 - More eye-candy, zoom, and GUI features.

08 - Dinosaurs! Alright, this feature can stay for version 0.29! :)

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 7:12 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

More units. new sub classes. ( Differentiate units with little armor and with a lot of armor)

On 31/03/2023 at 7:12 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

More strategies.

I have something made that ticks these boxes: https://gitlab.com/real_tabasco_sauce/0-a-d-community-mod-unit-specific-upgrades/-/compare/main...unit_upgrades?from_project_id=36954588&straight=false

I hope people will be more open minded going forward (especially so for the community mod), I have massively simplified these techs.

• Like 2

Another suggestion: in view of all the efforts to balance the different civilizations present in the game and the eternal dissatisfaction of some players, since they have different expectations due to their "game style", my suggestion is that there be the possibility of choosing "balance profiles" in the GUI of 0 a.D. The game could, in all its future versions, always seek a balance between civilizations, but at the same time offer the option of using other adjustment sheets, including the much-loved configuration of 0 a.D 0.23. From what I understand, these tweaks are like numbers in a spreadsheet, so it doesn't seem like a challenge to me to allow players to able to choose between some "balance styles", such: balanced play, more aggressive play, more AoE style play, and so on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sturm said:

02 - More scenery elements: ruins, trees, animals, corpses/skeletons, waterfalls... these are elements that enrich the game and do not pose a technical challenge for implementation, although they require work from artists and designers.

I'm going to work on some of those things.

I will have it in my earrings, I'm going to talk to Stanislas and Wow to bring new eyecandies.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sturm said:

Install a mod on 0 a.D. remains a task for experienced players.

No, I found out it is not a major task. After installing Pop!_OS, I found out there is a super convenient way to do it in 4 easy steps.

1. Ditch windows and install a suitable Linux distro.

2. Download the mod.

3. Open the zip with archive manager a click on "extract".

image.thumb.png.da1d2e0a2f89a575e3b404cc2a4fc31f.png

4. In the folder selection menu, chose the destination

image.png.59133dcb4a123dae009387e44388e782.png

Finished. On top of that: Ditching Windows comes with a lot of other benefits!

In reality, what I meant is that there is a lack of context, images, and description (in addition to the 1-line explanation, which appears hidden when clicking on an option) in the selection of mods. Yes, in fact, the "download" thing is simple, if you already know the mods and know what you want... For the user who comes across this "new universe" for the first time, it's just a "bunch of letters" inside a black window. And then forgive me, but given the screenshot below, a new user has almost no understandable information. It would be important to automate the recognition of the compatibility of mods with the installed version, describe each mod, have screenshots, and even some kind of community evaluation. Try to think like an "outsider", a newcomer to the world of electronic games, not like an experienced RTS player who has been frequenting the 0. a.D. forum for years.

image.thumb.png.8dd1b5f6ce4303d244ebbcfac5a6fd32.png

Edited by Sturm
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sturm said:

In reality, what I meant is that there is a lack of context, images, and description (in addition to the 1-line explanation, which appears hidden when clicking on an option) in the selection of mods. Yes, in fact, the "download" thing is simple, if you already know the mods and know what you want... For the user who comes across this "new universe" for the first time, it's just a "bunch of letters" inside a black window. And then forgive me, but given the screenshot below, a new user has almost no understandable information. It would be important to automate the recognition of the compatibility of mods with the installed version, describe each mod, have screenshots, and even some kind of community evaluation. Try to think like an "outsider", a newcomer to the world of electronic games, not like an experienced RTS player who has been frequenting the 0. a.D. forum for years.

That is why I have always said that mods need to be better contextualized using the YT platform.

A simple tutorial like our trailers, which bring a lot of visual information. Maybe there should be a drop down menu to give second mouse button in each mod.

A bit like steam, programmers ignore how easy pedagogy with images is.

This makes it easier to learn.

EzpxSxewa4AD7LHEbc_W1Ir7CsbvxkpEQcXPrr5Dwv8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sturm said:

It would be important to automate the recognition of the compatibility of mods with the installed version

I think this is already the case; as your screenshot shows, the radio button for valid mods is selected by default.

45 minutes ago, Silier said:

We can get images from modio, thats not problem. Problem is some people are raising red flags because modders could do harm with uploading something bad there.

Aren't the mods that are available through the in-game mod selection already approved?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Isn't there a way to control that?

Technically there could be, admins need to sign mods for each alpha, but as current code goes, the image would need to be downloanded together with information about the signature, spliting it may be too much work and even that would mean no pictures for mods with old signature.

3 hours ago, Silier said:

We can get images from modio, thats not problem. Problem is some people are raising red flags because modders could do harm with uploading something bad there.

Could implement a voting system where players could thumbs down or thumbs up an image for relevance. Images that reach a threshold of downvotes are hidden. 

5 hours ago, Sturm said:

I've been meaning to make mockups for this, but I've had other priorities.