SelfNerf mod - a mod that provokes random extinctions in your civilization

Mentula

Yes, you read the title correctly: this mod causes extinctions randomly destroying your entities. Official mod page on GitLab here.

It's a semi-serious (working!) mod, whose idea originated from joking conversations in the lobby. Too OP and want to balance games? This is your chance to set it right.

Features

• Set the entity reduction rate and the frequency of extinctions.
  • Intensify/alleviate the entity reduction rate and frequency over time.
  • Choose which entities can or cannot be destroyed.
  • Totally voluntary usage: other players don't have to install it to play with you.

Is that serious?

Yes and no, I mean... it can be fun!

On a serious note, scenarios or campaigns can be designed on top of it. After all, the idea is not that different from already existing features such as the rising of water level in the Extinct Volcano map. Events like the spreading of the Antonine Plague, imported by the Roman legions from the Near East, immediately come to my mind; although this example is outside the 0 A.D. time frame, events like this might well fit a scenario/campaign.

Mod options (screenshot)

selfnerf.png.e1080bec52f549a9802b0bf8559aa957.png

Installation

Click here to download the latest release. Install following the official 0 A.D. guide: How to install mods?

Alternative downloads: Latest Release (.pyromod) | Latest Release (.zip) | Older Releases

Contribute

The public repository is at this page. Everybody is very welcome to contribute, suggest, fork or simply give feedback. Have fun!

Edited by Mentula
improved installation instructions
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mentula said:

SelfNerf mod updated for A27. Only port, no other changes made.

you need first go to the option to SelfNerf to get default values. Without you get errors and could not really play the game. You dont need change anythink but need visit the options menu of SelfNerf before you start playing

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

I really should make a video on how to install mods, pyromod, drag and drop, command line

Only those give the engine a chance to verify the mod beside being user friendly on top.

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

put the zip in a mod folder with the same name, the options are endless

This are hacks which shouldn't be advertised at all. Sure once upon a time this was the only way and people will figure them out if required for very specific use cases.

On 29/05/2023 at 3:41 AM, Stan` said:

I really should make a video on how to install mods, pyromod, drag and drop, command line, put the zip in a mod folder with the same name, the options are endless

I wonder if @andy5995's pipeline to package mods would also work on gitlab.

@Stan`Probably would only required minor modifications. It just uses this existing docker image and a shell script. As long as GitLab supports things similar to GitHub actions, I don't think it would be very different (the script has variables that are GitHub specific).

https://github.com/0ad-matters/gh-action-build-pyromod

If anyone ever wants to set up a "GitLab action" and gets stuck, I'd probably be available to help.