Alternative to discord (revolt)

Iltis2017

34 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Can we have a mailing list, please!

Is it a joke? :) Or do you really want emails :)

34 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Are there any other team members willing to be available on discord?

There was @Silier but they resigned, @Freagarach's laptop is not fast enough, @vladislavbelov has an account, maybe @wraitii

But I guess i'm the only one really active.

I initially got there to help the Hyrule mod progress :)

24 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Is it a joke? :) Or do you really want emails

Was meant as a joke but then again that's how it used to be. On that matter a 0ad-announce mailing list might make sense for packagers and modders alike. A dev mailing list maybe but for users I highly doubt it.

29 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Freagarach's laptop is not fast enough

hilarious, something is terribly wrong with discord then.

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I do that for packagers but not for modders :)

Most of the time I get 0 replies ^^

My idea of an announce mailing list is for it to be read-only except for wfg addresses. Traffic should be very low, announcing releases certainly qualifies. People subscribe to the list if they are interested instead of you directly reaching out. Target are primarily direct or indirect contributors, but anyone interested is free to subscribe.

This would obviously replace you actively reaching out to distributions via mail.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hyperion said:

My idea of an announce mailing list is for it to be read-only except for wfg addresses. Traffic should be very low, announcing releases certainly qualifies. People subscribe to the list if they are interested instead of you directly reaching out. Target are primarily direct or indirect contributors, but anyone interested is free to subscribe.

This would obviously replace you actively reaching out to distributions via mail.

Interesting, no idea how to set that up though. And probably more work that I can handle.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14/09/2022 at 5:25 PM, andy5995 said:

Not yet. The first problem I noticed was voice chat doesn't work.

Regardless of the discussion channel, IRC, XMPP, Matrix, Revolt, etc, when starting a match, there should be no problem in using an external tool for voice provided it's very easy to use and requires nothing to install. And example is https://entraide.chatons.org/en/ => Video-conference => create. (use the circular arrows to switch to another server if it doesn't work) It will pop you in a Jitsi Meet room and the link can be shared on the discussion channels for the played to join. Leaving only the microphone enabled and here you go, voice chat channel joinable and leavable.

It's libre, and on a network of ethical hosters (CHATONS) so no centralization and no hassle to pick up a server. (If using regularly, go to the website of the hoster you are using and give a few buck from time to time. That's how that can scale.)

• Like 2