We need lawnmowers for the steppe grass

Old Roman

Played a wild lake map last night that most of the apparently open area around my CVC was the tall grass.  Women farmers literally disappeared in the grass and foundations were not visible at all.  Even the completed farms were indistinguishable from the grass  (perhaps erasing the grass when the foundation is laid would help?).  The last straw (no pun intended) was when I heard ram attack noises and found essentially invisible Iberian rams attacking my civic center, who I only could locate by hovering the mouse over the area with  my selected soldiers.  

Its ironic that I could occasionally spot something in the grass if the actor was passing by an adjacent tree by the colored silhouette.  It would be nice if the grass had the same effect but I suppose that would totally remove the total immersion effect.  I think I may have seen random references to this effect on the forum, but this was my first major taste.  

Also those tiny shrubs that sometimes count as 'wood' were scattered in the grass making placement of large buildings difficult.

End rant:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently had a Wild Lake map with India biome which I eventually abandoned. With the oh-so-ineresting terrain (cliffs) and the shrubs I couldn't build sht, with the biome I couldn't see sht, and I guess tigers were spawning (couldn't find them on the map in the replay) and I lost a bunch of women (didn't notice any attack alarms). What a joy to play. Not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Roman said:

Played a wild lake map last night that most of the apparently open area around my CVC was the tall grass.  Women farmers literally disappeared in the grass and foundations were not visible at all.

We need to make constructed buildings/foundations remove eyecandy actors, such as grass and small bushes. AOE games do this. @Freagarach is there a ticket? ;) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

The game would benefit if it had an option to turn eye-candy object off. They do not affect the state of the game and are limiting vision and it can't be good for performance.

Could try renderactors=false in user.cfg (not sure what that will do)

Else grass could be disabled using the new lod feature. (I only did for unit props)