On readability

av93

There's a lot of discussion regarding the artstyle of AoE4. I read some comments that made me think about 0 a.d: now that LODs are implemented, what about a feature that makes all the actors the same variation, just for easier identification of the unit? (IDK if is it what the Medium level of LOD really does)

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was actually going to go through and reduce some of the body texture variants in a lot of the actors. For readability and it would also "open up" a bunch of the textures for new units.

for competitive is fine, but this is why a lot of things look bad in AoE IV.

they want to make the game competitive and they engage the art department on that.

The weapons are disproportionate, with respect to the unit.

Screenshot_20210421-222049.png.2779d99e0d9d6c361ebb1599e7c24234.png

I do not object to what is made minimal or in the multiplayer. We have to be careful.

8 hours ago, av93 said:

There's a lot of discussion regarding the artstyle of AoE4. I read some comments that made me think about 0 a.d: now that LODs are implemented, what about a feature that makes all the actors the same variation, just for easier identification of the unit? (IDK if is it what the Medium level of LOD really does)

There is a patch for that. @bb_
 or @wraitii might finish it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was thinking of just limiting a unit to 5 body textures, 5 helmet varieties, and 5 shield patterns. This is still a lot of visual variation, I just want to tighten it up a little. Some units have 10+ body textures for instance.

My point is not this, as I see a limitation of texture variations for shields will not do much in the case of the identification units (which for me was never a problem, but if other players report this difficulty ok). In my view, limiting this would only leave aside a good work of art and research done by someone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lopess said:

In my view, limiting this would only leave aside a good work of art and research done by someone.

That's not going to happen. Most textures are used on more than one unit. Many textures are used on 3+ units. Reducing that instancing down can make the appearance of each texture more special while at the same time giving each unit a more distinct look.