Jump to content

===[TASK]=== Scythian Horse Archer


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

They were influenced by Greeks and used Chalcidian helmets,  they also used other more eastern helmets but those are not in game yet:

Actually I didn't mean their helmets, but their body armour:

armour.png.d0fc2b73867e28c898538c171016e490.png

I suppose my view on Scythian armour is largely based on finds from the Issyk kurgan (a royal tomb in modern Kazakhstan):

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Issyk_Golden_Cataphract_Warrior.jpg

File:Sun emperor.JPG

The fact that the scale mail looks like a jacket corresponds with what is seen in Persian iconography, as do the trousers and pointy hat (which is probably ceremonial), e.g.

Spoiler

Behistun inscription (the last person is Skunxa the Scythian):

Behistun inscription reliefs.jpg

Tomb of Darius I (Sakā means Scythian):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Armies_of_Darius_I.jpg

I'm certainly no expert on things Scythian, though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Actually I didn't mean their helmets, but their body armour:

armour.png.d0fc2b73867e28c898538c171016e490.png

I suppose my view on Scythian armour is largely based on finds from the Issyk kurgan (a royal tomb in modern Kazakhstan):

Yes, scale is more appropriate than thorax; although some may have adopted it from hellenic neighbours.

tumblr_nu855rWN961u6oeoao1_1280.jpg&key=

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

They were influenced by Greeks and used Chalcidian helmets,  they also used other more eastern helmets but those are not in game yet:

That is a work for Alexandermb than for Wacky I mean other topic. You can open one if you want.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Perhaps the scale leggings should have lacing on the back ?

Like in medieval mail chausses.

Several reconstructions and artist impressions show that these limb armors only protect frontal areas or sometimes the outer flanks of the limbs.

I am about to commit there textures for the Seleucid Dahae Horse Archer

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I am about to commit there textures for the Seleucid Dahae Horse Archer

Keep in mind the Dahae lived to the North-East of Iran (in what is now Turkmenistan), not near the Bosporan Kingdom (now the Crimea). Furthermore, the Dahae horse archers were light cavalry, i.e. no body armour or shields; scale mail is only appropiate for champion cavalry, i.e. cataphracts, and heroes. Finally, the Dahae horse archer in 0 A.D. has recently been moved from the Seleucids to the Persians (rP23553).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nescio said:

Keep in mind the Dahae lived to the North-East of Iran (in what is now Turkmenistan), not near the Bosporan Kingdom (now the Crimea). Furthermore, the Dahae horse archers were light cavalry, i.e. no body armour or shields; scale mail is only appropiate for champion cavalry, i.e. cataphracts, and heroes. Finally, the Dahae horse archer in 0 A.D. has recently been moved from the Seleucids to the Persians (rP23553).

Good thing you had responded quick, I was about to commit it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Keep in mind the Dahae lived to the North-East of Iran (in what is now Turkmenistan), not near the Bosporan Kingdom (now the Crimea). Furthermore, the Dahae horse archers were light cavalry, i.e. no body armour or shields; scale mail is only appropiate for champion cavalry, i.e. cataphracts, and heroes. Finally, the Dahae horse archer in 0 A.D. has recently been moved from the Seleucids to the Persians (rP23553).

But the Seleucid faction still have Dahae Horse Archers, right? I have assigned actor files in their simulation file.

This was what I had in mind:

Basic rank: Clothed in proper manner

Advanced rank: Light to medium armor leather armor with some limb guards

Elite rank: Heavily armored with scale, including limb guards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

But the Seleucid faction still have Dahae Horse Archers, right? I have assigned actor files in their simulation file.

Yes, as mercenaries, using the same actors as the Persians. The Seleucids were basically the successors of the Achaemenids, but the Dahae were independent nomadic tribes just beyond the empire's border, and those didn't change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

This was what I had in mind:

Basic rank: Clothed in proper manner

Advanced rank: Light to medium armor leather armor with some limb guards

Elite rank: Heavily armored with scale, including limb guards.

Your opening post suggested champion cavalry. :)

While the b/a/e Dahae horse archers (and also the other Persian cavalry actors) currently have increasing amounts of body and horse armour, I believe that's not really historically accurate; I'd prefer it if all armour was removed from the (Persian) citizen cavalry, and used only for champion cavalry; instead, b/a/e could get increasingly fancy clothes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Yes, as mercenaries, using the same actors as the Persians. The Seleucids were basically the successors of the Achaemenids, but the Dahae were independent nomadic tribes just beyond the empire's border, and those didn't change.

This thread was actually meant to add a Scythian champion horse archer to Atlas

10 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Your opening post suggested champion cavalry. :)

While the b/a/e Dahae horse archers (and also the other Persian cavalry actors) currently have increasing amounts of body and horse armour, I believe that's not really historically accurate; I'd prefer it if all armour was removed from the (Persian) citizen cavalry, and used only for champion cavalry; instead, b/a/e could get increasingly fancy clothes.

I will try to create actor concepts for lighter armored citizen cavalry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Several reconstructions and artist impressions show that these limb armors only protect frontal areas or sometimes the outer flanks of the limbs.

I am about to commit there textures for the Seleucid Dahae Horse Archer

What i meant to say was not that they'd cover the back; just that the armor could have ties on the back of the leg to hold it in place.

Quote

I will try to create actor concepts for lighter armored citizen cavalry.

At most some of the Elite ones could have a helmet (I think the elite persian foot archer has a helmet).

Also some Dahae Units from EB (Screenshots are a bit old):

YpElHUE.jpg

Gc1rDh6.jpg

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I can show you what I'm doing for DE, just for reference. It can certainly be improved.

scythian_archers_bae.thumb.jpg.dd85d33e046a221195050ea6bb084093.jpg

I think the transition for unarmored to fully armored is a bit jarring.

Elite foot archers could have only helmets with perhaps a small chance of armor; Horse archers would get some helmets at advanced rank and be armored at elite.

My understanding is that Steppe infantry was poorer and often levied from neighbouring peoples.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...