Age of Empires IV

On 3/10/2022 at 16:25, Lion.Kanzen said:

Sinceramente es un juego al nivel de Empires Apart.

Y Empires Apart se equivocó por el lado conservador.

Tiene cosas buenas, lo de los sitios sagrados lo hace intenso.

El último juego se vuelve aburrido, se nota que es un StarCraft orientado a ser multijugador y medieval.

La parte histórica demuestra que les importa poco. No hay herejías, ni guerras santas, todo es familiar. Y políticamente correcto por eso no logra ser como un juego con identidad.

Captura de pantalla_20221003-141931.png

It would be great if monks and religion were not only healers and also influenced the game and the performance of the game, such as the motivation of the servants and things like that.

Sometimes people complain about aoe2 expansions adding civs that are OP. Of course the standard for gameplay quality is 10-20x higher in aoe2, but aside from that there are some really troubling things evident in the aoe4 new civs. There's not much new art, the new civs are basically just buffed versions of old civs. Its not that they tried to make new bonuses that create new gameplay styles and learning opportunities, and they encountered balance changes. It seems to me both pay-to-win and also low effort content.

you can tell some things about the developer when you see that they have walking zones around buildings that prevent you from making walls out of buildings.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

8 hours ago, alre said:

what?

yea so the buildings are placed on a tile system like in aoe2, but the physical building has a 1/2 tile perimeter where units can still walk through. So you can't make house walls like in 0ad or aoe2.

Another thing about aoe4 is that all civ bonuses and mechanics are these basic inert bonuses that you either decide to use or not, there is no skill-based execution component for the player to master. While the learning curve is tough for aoe2, its obvious that the depth of learnable skills and strategies are what has kept the game alive for so long. people argue about civs being the same in aoe2 and that aoe4 has improvements here, but the civs in aoe4 just look different. Every civ in aoe4 has to have some kind of gold generation trickle, it just appears in gimmicky new ways. Also many of the units for each civ are unique units, which makes unique units... not feel unique.

• Like 1

lol I love to hate aoe4. I think its a great source of things to avoid implementing for 0ad. Aoe4 was intended to have a fewer number of more differentiated civs. However they designed each civ with a unique way of being equal in every category, be it archers, cavalry, late-game gold eco, siege, you name it. For example with a late game gold generation/trickle, every civ has some way to generate gold, whereas in aoe2 the 3-4 civs out of 45 that can do this are truly special. The only truly unique features of the civs are then boiled down to shockingly gimmicky features like the japanese unique unit that hides as a villager in your enemy's eco and then can attack and go invisible.

43 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

The only truly unique features of the civs are then boiled down to shockingly gimmicky features like the japanese unique unit that hides as a villager in your enemy's eco and then can attack and go invisible.

:mellow: I like this for a spy unit for 0 A.D. :( But it would be a standard unit though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

:mellow: I like this for a spy unit for 0 A.D. :( But it would be a standard unit though.

well most of the problems of aoe4 come down to implementation, so I'm sure there's a good way to make a more balanced spy unit. I think the only concern for it in 0ad is how easy it is to see much of what happens on the map. Once all players in a tg have made their first moves after a relatively boomy game then its very easy to predict the flow of the match from then on.

4 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

well most of the problems of aoe4 come down to implementation, so I'm sure there's a good way to make a more balanced spy unit. I think the only concern for it in 0ad is how easy it is to see much of what happens on the map. Once all players in a tg have made their first moves after a relatively boomy game then its very easy to predict the flow of the match from then on.

Yeah, that's kind of a problem of huge vision ranges, IMHO. DE is better in this regard. ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, that's kind of a problem of huge vision ranges, IMHO. DE is better in this regard. ;) 

I know a lot of players like medium map size and normal map size. I'd kinda like a size between large and medium. I think the issue with shorter vision ranges is that ranged units need to see as far as they can shoot.

17 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I know a lot of players like medium map size and normal map size. I'd kinda like a size between large and medium. I think the issue with shorter vision ranges is that ranged units need to see as far as they can shoot.

Well, indeed. The very large range of ranged units is part of their OP. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...