Hyrule Conquest

2 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

How do you allow more then one tech to enable line of sight sharing? It seems to only be able to handle 1 entry. 

Yes, it can accept only one entry. It's because it's a boolean, i.e. either true or false. If there are several technologies which enable it, then if you have researched one of those, then why would you research another one?

Anyway, if you would want to allow a single faction to have multiple technologies to enable vision sharing, then make the "unlock_shared_los" autoresearched with any of those multiple technologies as a prerequisite (an OR statement).

And if you want different factions to have different vision sharing technologies (but only one each), you can do that by keeping "<SharedLosTech>unlock_shared_los</SharedLosTech>" in the generic "player.xml" file, and inserting into the specific "player_x.xml" file of faction X:

<Player>
    <SharedLosTech>unlock_shared_los_x</SharedLosTech>
  </Player>

(or whatever you want to name the technology for faction X).

To figure out where to locate which file, have a look at: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/special

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nescio said:

If there are several technologies which enable it, then if you have researched one of those, then why would you research another one?

Some factions in my game have an alternate version of the tech that they can unlock in the village phase as opposed to the town phase, it also has more effects then just shared vision.

15 minutes ago, Nescio said:

And if you want different factions to have different vision sharing technologies (but only one each), you can do that by keeping "<SharedLosTech>unlock_shared_los</SharedLosTech>" in the generic "player.xml" file, and inserting into the specific "player_x.xml" file of faction X:

I'll try this out.

Another question, is a negative regen health rate possible in the engine? I have a lava moat with an aura that gives nearby enemies a negative regen rate to their HP but it doesn't seem to work, only positive values. Maybe my syntax is wrong:

{ "value": "Health/RegenRate", "subtract": 0.8 }

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

I guess another question for something that's confusing me, what determines if a building counts towards teching up from the village to town, town to city phases? I have several buildings that all require the town phase tech but they are not contributing towards the count in order to tech up. Is there some class I need to add to buildings?

You can see it in the JSON file phase_town_generic.json

"requirements": { "entity": { "class": "Village", "number": 5 } },

So it looks for the number of entities having the Village class.

A building requiring the Village phase is different from a building having the Village class.

1 hour ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I guess another question for something that's confusing me, what determines if a building counts towards teching up from the village to town, town to city phases? I have several buildings that all require the town phase tech but they are not contributing towards the count in order to tech up. Is there some class I need to add to buildings?

The classes Village, Town, and City ( Though, City isn't really used, i don't think ). Anything that can be built with-in a specific phase should have that phase in the class or visibleclass tag. That way they will count toward the requirements for the next phase (and any tech you want to add a requirement for). They should have it, if you want them to count I should say.

You might want to rename the gerudo's "farmstead" to a corral so the AI will know they have one. Petra is set up around template names as well as a certain set of classes. When it checks to see if a corral has been built it looks for the class Corral. It can't build more of them because the template {civ}_corral doesn't exist. Hyrule's farmstead might need to be changed to _field. I don't know why they have a basically empty _field file. The farmstead is the field... but the AI just views it as a farmstead. If you want the AI to build it and use it they look for the file {civ}_field and class Field. Just remember, to make it AI friendly, you are pretty much restricted to exact template names and classes.

--

Answer to your spawn question: No. Not at the moment.

Spoiler

Something seems to be in the works but I think it's too... unlimited. A json interpreter similar to techs might need to be created for it. Right now, I think it just runs a javascript file.

Edited by SirPope
Answer the spawn question

What do we have here... some map creeps to fight, maybe even capture:

armosruins1.jpg

11 hours ago, SirPope said:

The classes Village, Town, and City ( Though, City isn't really used, i don't think ). Anything that can be built with-in a specific phase should have that phase in the class or visibleclass tag. That way they will count toward the requirements for the next phase (and any tech you want to add a requirement for). They should have it, if you want them to count I should say.

I had a feeling it was a Class, I just couldnt seem to find any examples in 0AD. That seems to do the trick though. :victory:

• Like 4

On 07/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, The Undying Nephalim said:

12 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I had a feeling it was a Class, I just couldnt seem to find any examples in 0AD. That seems to do the trick though. :victory:

Yes, phase advances require a number of entities with the Village or Town class to be researched, which are by default most structures but not to fields, walls, units, or other entities. However, you can easily change this in your mod and certainly do not have to follow this convention. You can add classes to units as well, if you like, or remove this requirement, or add others. Furthermore, you can easily rename, add, or remove phases if you like; you don't really have to use Village/Town/City.

7 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Well it's that time again, that time I bother about getting only 4 resource types showing up per civ.

It ain't so bad at the top:

But it's a bit of a problem at the marketplace:

Anyone have the nohow to get this working? :angel:

Actually I had this problem as well in my mod, 0abc, in which I wanted to add one resource. Being able to display it properly everywhere (including on low resolution screens) forced me to partially redesign the GUI. You can find everything I changed at: https://github.com/0abc/0abc-unified

I also expanded and updated https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ModdingResources

30 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Actually I had this problem as well in my mod, 0abc, in which I wanted to add one resource. Being able to display it properly everywhere (including on low resolution screens) forced me to partially redesign the GUI. You can find everything I changed at: https://github.com/0abc/0abc-unified

I also expanded and updated https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ModdingResources

Does this only limit 4 resources showing up at a time or just resize the icons so all resources fit?

15 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Does this only limit 4 resources showing up at a time or just resize the icons so all resources fit?

In my mod I increased the limits and number of items, resized icons, resized panels, and moved around some things, including the mini-map; it could be useful as an example if you want to start tweaking the gui for your mod. Also, the summary at the bottom of the wiki page includes a list of files to be edited.

How many resources do you intend to have in the long run? It's probably more efficient to properly redesign the gui once than it is to tweak everything every time you add a resource.

PS Do you also have a location (e.g. github) where one could easily browse or view individual files of your mod? This would make it easier to help you if you encounter problems.

Edited by Nescio
ce

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

How many resources do you intend to have in the long run? It's probably more efficient to properly redesign the gui once than it is to tweak everything every time you add a resource.

There will be ten resources in the game, but each faction never uses more then four. This is why I need resources to hide themselves from the UI if they are not used by a faction. For example only the Goron factions use Rock Sirloin, none of the other factions use it so it should not show up in the UI for them. Likewise the Gorons do not harvest Food at all and it should now show up in their UI.

Here's a list:

Rupees: Used by every single faction in the game, except for the Gohma. Basically serves the function of gold and currency.
Food, Wood, Stone: The three most common resources, used by roughly half the factions.
Metal: Used by more industrial factions like the Gorons, Labrynna, and Lokomo.
Rock Sirloin: Used by the various Goron factions. Replaces Food.
Coralmold: Used by all four Zora factions and other aquatic factions. Replaces lumber.
Corpses: Used by the undead factions like the Stalfos and Ikana to make soldiers. Replaces Food.
Sols: Used by Twilight factions to power all of their units and buildings.
Aura: Used by magic heavy factions like Fairies, Wizzrobe, and the Oocca.

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

PS Do you also have a location (e.g. github) where one could easily browse or view individual files of your mod? This would make it easier to help you if you encounter problems.

I don't at the moment but I could set one up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I don't at the moment but I could set one up.

You don't have to if you don't want to, it's merely a suggestion.

10 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

There will be ten resources in the game, but each faction never uses more then four. This is why I need resources to hide themselves from the UI if they are not used by a faction.

Apparently I misunderstood your question earlier; I thought you wanted to have, use, and display more than the default four resources; I now see your request is actually another, interesting idea. On the one hand it simplifies things (the gui can be left unchanged as it is, because it's designed for exactly four resources); on the other hand it complicates things (your novel suggestion requires changing how several underlying things work); it's neither impossible nor straightforward.

Basically there are two issues: on the one hand, having different resources for different factions; on the other, displaying different resources for different factions.

Let's start with the latter (your actual question). By default different factions have a nearly identical gui; the only difference is the faction emblem; you should have a look at the relevant code to figure out how that's done. What you probably should do is creating faction-specific resource arrays (e.g. Gorons: rupees, rock sirloin, wood, stone) and then telling the gui panels (top, trade, and barter) to load and display only the resources included in the new faction-specific arrays, instead of all resources.

Now the former. Do you want to allow factions to have, acquire, and trade resources other than the four they use? If not, things which have to be changed include:

• Allow different starting amounts for different resources
  • Allow different starting resources for different factions
  • Allow restricting barter, trade, tribute, etc.

Because it's likely you're not the only one who would want this, these three features should probably be enabled in the default 0 A.D. distribution.

9 hours ago, Nescio said:

What you probably should do is creating faction-specific resource arrays (e.g. Gorons: rupees, rock sirloin, wood, stone) and then telling the gui panels (top, trade, and barter) to load and display only the resources included in the new faction-specific arrays, instead of all resources.

So where do I start? :shifty:

On 09/12/2017 at 9:58 PM, The Undying Nephalim said:

So where do I start? :shifty:

Well I guess start looking at where those are used. Then a sane implementation IMHO would be to put those new resources in civ.json files, and parse them to do stuff afterwards. I believe @elexis has somewhat unified the json parsing functions so that should be easier.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 4:16 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

What do we have here... some map creeps to fight, maybe even capture:

armosruins1.jpg

I like the idea of finding ruins or hostile villages on the map. Makes the world feel lived in, expansive. It's also a good way to add additional lore not given by the playable civs directly. 0 a.d developers take note.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like the idea of finding ruins or hostile villages on the map. Makes the world feel lived in, expansive. It's also a good way to add additional lore not given by the playable civs directly. 0 a.d developers take note.

It remembers me what Warcraft 3 have in their maps which AoE doesn't but many other RTS have (Rise and fall civilization at war/ Rising Kingdoms) and adds a delightfull touch to the gameplay about map control this is a really nice touch i'll like to see in 0 A.D. Good job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

It remembers me what Warcraft 3 have in their maps which AoE doesn't but many other RTS have (Rise and fall civilization at war/ Rising Kingdoms) and adds a delightfull touch to the gameplay about map control this is a really nice touch i'll like to see in 0 A.D. Good job!

I love rise and fall basically AoE mixing Total War.

• Like 1

Well hey there it's a Zora River map:

Spoiler

zor_river1.jpg
zor_river2.jpg
zor_river3.jpg
zor_river4.jpg
zor_river5.jpgzor_river6.jpg

13 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

parse them to do stuff afterwards

Is there a tutorial on how to do that? I kind of need specifics when it comes to anything that involves scripting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

See the wall builder.js code in this patch https://code.wildfiregames.com/D900

I'm still not sure what this means, nor do I see an example of what specifically I need to do. I probably need instructions, something like "Open this file, put these lines of code in this file."

I really need this only-4-resource-per-faction thing it's the only thing left preventing the next release. :crazy:

• Like 1

• Stan` pinned this topic