TG Tournament

70H4NN2S

We will kick off the tournament this weekend. I will use this topic here to post all the announcements and standings of the tournament in here, so that people who do not use discord will stay in touch.

You are welcome to take part in the tournament even when you are not in the discord server. Just write down your username and i will transmit you to the team leaders, so they can/will pick you into their team. But you have to get inside the discord server if you want to become a team leader on your own. Here is the link: https://discord.gg/Zbb8rCnz

This is the final registration now and you will agree to take part in the tournament with whichever team you are picked in.  

Edited by 70H4NN2S
  • Like 1

This is the last announcement made on the server:

Hi @everyone,

this is IMPORTANT

I hate to admit it, but it seems like we failed to get all the teams organized in time and we need to change the method to create the teams if we want to start the tournament soon and not in 2 years or never. That's why i believe that @SneakEP's Proposal about first getting the entire poll of players together and then deciding the teams will be optimal.

So here are the rules:

1. Click on the "video_game" Emoji if you want to play the tournament and be selected into one of the teams or tell it to me directly.
  2. Select "trophy" too if you want to candidate for a team leader spot or tell it to me directly.

We have currently 30 players in here + 5 players that didn't went past the get-started channel(can somebody identify them?).This means we can get easily between 6 to 8 teams together, depending on how many want to play.

Once we decide the team sizes and the amount of teams will the @team_leader pick their team. Each leader can pick whoever he wants to from the poll of players, be it a very op player or a good friend. The weakest @team_leader has the right to pick first. Each leader can pick only then the next player if every other team picked a member. This will prevent first come first served basis and help greatly with the balance.

A few players mentioned that they desire a different team size instead of 4, so we will have a second voting going on right here too. Pick the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 for your desired team size.

Each player that picks the "video_game" Emoji agrees to play the entire tournament without quitting and will stay in the team he was picked in without any resistance or he will be banned from the Tournament.

I hope we can start with the Tournament soon, tbh i got tired of organizing it, so i hope you will contribute your part and we can start with the fun part soon.

Edited by 70H4NN2S
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, alre said:

I'd advise you to not try to organize anything on august. It's vacation time for many of us. Personally I will not see my teammates for another couple of weeks or more.

I heard that some players want to postpone the tournament. I will ask about it in the discord server as well. But we could probably do it.

Here is the current list of participants for the tournament:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zF9_ktBOinbyMeEgEo5I156dsPz_Xy9VfswmQvh1orY/edit?usp=sharing

Check it out and tell me if somebody is missing or somebody doesn't want to play anymore or got into the list by error.

I just proposed in the server that we should create the teams now and wait until September with the tournaments. So everybody can practice with their teams, learn to know each other and play a few friendly(rated) TGs against the other teams to test the water. We will have time to filter the not so stable players out until September and then kick off the main event once everything is settled and more players have vacations.

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2023 at 7:11 PM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Will there be a draft of civs? or will we do normal tg style where we could all be gauls if we wanted. I think it would be pretty simple to go t1 pick, 2 t2 picks, 2 t1 picks, 2 t2 picks, and then 1 t1 pick.

I really like the idea, we could do it this way. Or we could let each team select all the civs, so they get a optimal strategy they prepared. Because there are some players who aren't great with all civs, so they will be pretty nerfed

Hi,

it seems like we finally finished the preparations. The teams might not be entirely balanced, but it's not very unbalanced in my opinion. The @team_leader can trade players between the teams if both agree as long as they haven't played the first round.

For everybody wanting to see the current teams: TG Tournament TeamsI will also add it to the ⁠teams channel. We will play the tournament with the Ranked Dutch Fide Swiss System, i know this isn't chess, but we just need a system that randomizes the games. We will go for 7 rounds. Each round will go on for 1 week. The first round starts today and finishes the 28th August.
Each round will be best of 1, but if both teams agree and have enough time, can they change the rule to a best of 3 or even a best out 5. We have given settings for each week the @team_leader decide upon, so we could play basic mainland each week or have something entirely different suddenly in 1 of the weeks. Tell your @team_leader what you want to play. The settings will be decided before the next round starts and everybody knows against who they will have to battle. If 1 player is unable to play, will the round be a 3vs3 game instead of a 4vs4. If the second picked player in team A is unable to play, will the second picked player in team B not be able to play, BUT don't abuse the rule on purpose. You have 1 entire week to find a optimal time slot for both teams. You can see who you have to play against on this website: SwissSystem.org No login required. The settings for the first week are: Mainland; 200pop; ally view enabled; low resources. I will start the round at 14:30 CET

Edited by 70H4NN2S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An easy way to find out when everyone is free for your next meeting or event.

Click the grid for all the times that are good for you - you get a link to email to your invitees.
  They see your proposed times and click on when they are free.

Screenshot_20230827_212752.jpg.3c005a80b4598802d2af90e8affd5c54.jpg
You visit your results page and see when everyone can do.

No sign-up form. No password to choose. No fuss at all.

http://whenisgood.net/

prevent biggest mistake by using this: please really select all all all the times that are good for you. especially if you are one of the first who doing it.
correction later are often not done by somebody. idk.

there other tools like this (i forgot, if you know please tell)

Edited by seeh

Hi,

giving the teams over 1 week to find time for a single game was apparently the wrong solution, because today is the last day and 2 games need to be played today, which seems to be unrealistic to complete, sadly.

That's why i propose these 3 changes to the rules:

1. Fixed times for the games: Most players are active on the weekend. The games will happen on Saturday or Sunday between 4pm UTC until 9pm UTC. The timezones of all the players in the 2 teams should be considered. I hope the team leaders will be able to pick a good time for the game within this smaller time span.
  2. To make things more fair, each absent player will be replaced by a Very Hard Petra Bot, the team can pick the mode for the bot, aggressive, balanced or defensive. I hope we won't have entire teams being replaced by Bots, but that's the only solution if we want to keep up with the schedule.
  3. If a team member is unable to keep playing or doesn't want to, can the team leader replace that player with a player which is currently not playing in the tournament and was not in a team before.

Let me know what you think about the changes.
  • Like 1

AI in team games tend to cause lag and sometimes OOS. I suggest these additional rules:

- if at least one player of each team is absent, the games will be turned into a 3v3, if there are more absences from both team, the game can be turned into a 2v2 or even a 1v1 (let's hope not)

- if a team presents itself with half the players of the other team (or less) it's a forfeit.

Btw, do the teams currently have reserves?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 70H4NN2S said:

@alre i like your idea. But ehat will you do with a 3vs2 or 4vs3. So you want it to be first a competition of just being present to win?

But i didn't knew of the issue with bots causing OOS

@alrebtw when will you and your friends be able to play? There is almost a entire team we need to replace :(

In those cases I think a bot could do. They do cause OOS every time any one player disconnects and reconnects for any reason though.

I am meeting my friends this evening, I'll let you know if we can join.

@Mentula what about your gang? 

- Restricting the time span might make it harder to find a date, not easier. The time span could be helpful though, if the teams have difficulties finding an agreement

- i like Alre's idea with the 3v3 and 2v2 but not his idea with the forfait

- The teams should also be able to select the civ of their bots

- if a team member gets replaced, it shouldn't be replaced by a stronger player, to keep it balanced

• Like 1