0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

@wowgetoffyourcellphone For the suggestion, I don't't agree with all the changes, but I made some edits. I've found a problem that reading archaic translations of Plutarch messes up my writing voice. You'll have to tell me if you like what I have now, and if you still don't like it I can explain why I did some things.

On 09/09/2023 at 10:15 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Some of these entries need line breaks for paragraphs:

\n\n

Which ones?

Finally, we can move them into the main folders after a few PRs get merged. It'll be no problem to do other technical stuff, people just need to mention them.

Edited by ShadowOfHassen

So starting on the temple and there's no way I can fit all the information about the greek pantheon that I want to. Here's an idea. Could we have an encyclopedia like Wesnoth's where you can also just access as an encyclopedia with links and generic articles, that means we could write even more cool info like about the general Greek pantheon.

Clearly, we don't want to turn this into the ultimate history book or anything, but I know @Vantha and I have had some problems figuring out what we should describe in our limited space.

Sparta temple: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/36

I primarily wrote about Religion for Sparta, not Greek Religion in general or the Greek gods. Honestly, those should be separate pages. If people think I don't have enough information here I'll try to add some, but the same info would need to be added to all the Hellenistic ones as well, and that's a lot of overlap.

figured I would look at this and happened to catch "beveling"

Sparta, like the rest of Ancient Greece were polytheistic, beveling in all the Greek gods. However, thanks to their materialistic society they had special affinity to warlike gods such as Ares and Apollo, however they were eager to please all gods.

8 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

figured I would look at this and happened to catch "beveling"

Sparta, like the rest of Ancient Greece were polytheistic, beveling in all the Greek gods. However, thanks to their materialistic society they had special affinity to warlike gods such as Ares and Apollo, however they were eager to please all gods.

I'd like to say that was a trick to see if anyone was reading them...

• Like 1

I noticed you use non SI units for lengths, don't think this is a good idea. Many play the game in English that don't live in the US, the default should be English international. Foot has maybe 30 definitions and a mile ranges between ~500m and ~1850m.

57 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So starting on the temple and there's no way I can fit all the information about the greek pantheon that I want to.

Isn't the history element a scroll-pane? Anyway it's not like the UI can't be tweaked and I think @wowgetoffyourcellphone even made a proposal in some other thread which I overall like.

• Thanks 1

I noticed you use non SI units for lengths, don't think this is a good idea. Many play the game in English that don't live in the US, the default should be English international. Foot has maybe 30 definitions and a mile ranges between ~500m and ~1850m.

Everywhere I've seen, the standard is to write using En_US and then have translating change the measurements, so that's what we've done. It shouldn't be too hard to do an English international translation, as well as translations for most of the other English variants. This also makes a lot more sense, seeing that En_UK and EN_US have different spellings and grammar styles. (I.E. color/colour and the hole oxford comma, which is standard in the US and not the UK.)  I don't know if English international has differences, like this, or not, but that can be changed as well. 

Also, having grown up using the customary system and I can tell you there is one definition of mile (5280 feet) and one definition for foot 12 inches.

A final thing is for the standard English we could have feet and then a metric equivalent in () (I forget what they are called)

Isn't the history element a scroll-pane? Anyway it's not like the UI can't be tweaked, and I think @wowgetoffyourcellphone even made a proposal in some other thread which I overall like.

It's not scrolling, it's the fact that all the information I want to say not pertain to Sparta only, so separate articles would be useful. Also, seeing that our self-imposed standard is aiming for the 1-5 paragraph length, it would be better to separate the Sparta temple article only to be about Sparta religion and do general hellenistic religion in another one. It requires changes to the encyclopedia lay out, so in the meantime it can be just the current info. (Unless people say otherwise.)

11 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Also, having grown up using the customary system and I can tell you there is one definition of mile (5280 feet) and one definition for foot 12 inches.

About as cumbersome as roman numbers ...

US and the meter https://usma.org/laws-and-bills/metric-conversion-act-of-1975

I doubt you were born in 2023 ;)https://www.nist.gov/pml/us-surveyfoot

18 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:
22 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

interesting, I thought the debate was settled on this.

In favor of? I thought it was decided to use American English as default, but metric for measurements.

Oh no, I meant I thought most people nowadays use the comma because its more legible, logical, and sensible. In other words, I thought the comma users triumphed.

9 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So here's what I'll do. I'll go back and add metric measurements in parentheses behind each one customary measurement. That can be for en_us and for other translations people can cut out the customary system.

Please use SI. :) That is already in some descriptions and we use it as the system in the game itself. Also, since you're writing history strings, you could be meaning the "foot" from that age. ;) (We might want to add something about that to the https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide.)

I was also seeing some "programmer's quotes" as opposed to “real quotes” when I skimmed through some changes.

Thank you for all the hard work in getting the history back! I'm very grateful that it is finally happening. :) I'm also willing to help review the whole thing when it is nigh compleat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Freagarach said:

Please use SI. :) That is already in some descriptions and we use it as the system in the game itself. Also, since you're writing history strings, you could be meaning the "foot" from that age. ;) (We might want to add something about that to the https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide.)

I was also seeing some "programmer's quotes" as opposed to “real quotes” when I skimmed through some changes.

Thank you for all the hard work in getting the history back! I'm very grateful that it is finally happening. :) I'm also willing to help review the whole thing when it is nigh compleat.

I'm not 100 percent you understand what I'm trying to say. Yes, most people in the world don't understand customary system. But most people in the US don't understand SI. Some know how to do the multiplying and convert it, (like me) but I don't  know the size. If you said 52 cm. I'd have no clue how far that was, or a kilometer or a meter. If what I'm currently writing is En_US, it'll need to at least have the customary system.

Also, I don't think there's any worry about mistaking the foot part. Almost all the archeological books I've read use the US customary system, and they don't seem to think it's going to get confused.

I don't see how it hurts to have both of them in En_US, that's what Wikipedia does. I think.

Real quotes vs programmers quotes, I can fix.

Finally, per the announcement for removing the encyclopedia we're going to roll out the encyclopedia in parts, the first part will be added once we finish Sparta (which is very soon). So I'll hold you to your word.