0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

The Athenian penteconter file (called ship_bireme.xml, even though it's not a bireme) has the entity parent "civ/athen|template_unit_ship_warship_light". Where do I find this file? Is  it the usual template_unit_ship_warship_light in the templates folder that other ships use? Then what does the "civ/athen|" mean? The Spartan penteconter (also bireme.xml) for example does not have "civ|spart" before the template file name. Can I just ignore the "civ/athen|" part?

I hope you understand what I mean.

8 minutes ago, Vantha said:

Is  it the usual template_unit_ship_warship_light in the templates folder that other ships use?

Yes.

Then what does the "civ/athen|" mean?

It's what's described as a "mixin", and it is used to add attributes common to many Athenian templates in a bid to reduce duplication. The template it refers to can be located in simulation/templates/mixins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vantha said:

Ah, thanks, okay. So, if I create a template file called "template_unit_ship_warship_greek_penteconter.xml", I have to set the Entity parent to <Entity parent="civ/athen|template_unit_ship_warship_greek_penteconter">. Is that right?

no, in this case the parent would be template_unit_ship_warship_greek or template_unit_ship_warship, lol

Currently the Athenian penteconter has the Entity parent template_unit_ship_warship_light. My idea was to create a template for penteconters, paste the descripion I wrote in there and use this file as a parent for all penteconter files. So if this new file is called template_unit_ship_warship_greek_penteconter.xml, according to my understanding the line in all penteconter files should be <Entity parent="civ/athen|template_unit_ship_warship_greek_penteconter"> (and my question was whether or not to keep the civ/athen part). And the newly created template file will have the template_unit_ship_warship_light set as parent (the same as all the single files had originally). Doesnt this work? Can I kind of insert the new template file between the template_unit_ship_warship_light and all the penteconter files like this?

The only difference being the <History> information isn't enough to create a new parent template for the root folder. I think others will agree on that. I suggest using a mixin instead! :) 

So, the penteconter.xml file in the mixins folder will house your History text and then you'd add it to the parent line in the units/athen/ship_bireme.xml file like this: 

<Entity parent="civ/athen|penteconter|template_unit_ship_warship_light">

• Thanks 1

So I'm working on animals and there's a flaming pig. I feel like theirs a historical refrence there. What is it?

Also what are peoples thoughts about easter eggs? Does anyone want a suspific joke or reference put in the encylopedia? It doesn't have to be funny It could be remembering someone who did a lot for 0 A.D.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So I'm working on animals and there's a flaming pig. I feel like theirs a historical refrence there. What is it?

Also what are peoples thoughts about easter eggs? Does anyone want a suspific joke or reference put in the encylopedia? It doesn't have to be funny It could be remembering someone who did a lot for 0 A.D.

Historical accounts of incendiary pigs or flaming pigs were recorded by the Greek military writer Polyaenus[1] and by Aelian.[2] Both writers reported that Antigonus II Gonatas' siege of Megara in 266 BC was broken when the Megarians doused some pigs with combustible pitch, crude oil or resin, set them alight, and drove them towards the enemy's massed war elephants

(Wiki)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to test if everything works, but I can't get the mod to show up in the mod selection menu. It requires A27, right? I tried it on the release candidate, but it didn't work.

Here is what I did: I downloaded the main folder and put it into the mods folder. Inside this folder there is the mod.json and the "simulation" folder which leads to all the xml files. What am I doing wrong?

On 6/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, Vantha said:

I want to test if everything works, but I can't get the mod to show up in the mod selection menu. It requires A27, right? I tried it on the release candidate, but it didn't work.

Here is what I did: I downloaded the main folder and put it into the mods folder. Inside this folder there is the mod.json and the "simulation" folder which leads to all the xml files. What am I doing wrong?

This might sound stupid but did you enable the mod?

Okay I got it to work. I think the problem was that when clicking save and restart in the mod selection menu, the game restarts without checking for new mods, but I'm not sure.

Also, a warning comes up saying there must not be spaces in the mod name. It's not a big problem, It can be fixed by changing the name in the mod.json from "History Mod" to "History-Mod".

Also, the Black Bear only lives in North America, so if we're going for historically accurate maps they might need to be removed.

Another intresting fact is that we have male peacocks but no female peacocks.

Finally, I haven't double-checked, but the Zebra and their scientific name might be messed up. I'm planning on writing zebra's later, and then I'll let you know.

I do love a lot of the animal models though, whoever did them did a good job.

Edited by ShadowOfHassen

Another animal PR: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/21 It should be the next to last.

There is a Calvin and Hobbes easter egg in one of the entries.

This should be the next to last non history prs for the history encyclopedia. All I need to do is the rest of the domesticated animals.

Edited by ShadowOfHassen