0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I will try to incorporate quotes from ancient writers in with the animals. I.E. quotes from Herodotus about the hippopotamus 

Nice idea, but we don't have hippopotamuses in the game. :/

Last two mentions of them I found in the forums are 10 and 20 years old respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

So now I have a PR for the fruit and all the 0 A.D. treasures.

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/11

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/10

It'd be great if someone from the dev team could look over the treasures and make certain I conveyed what the treasures are supposed to be. @wowgetoffyourcellphone you were a developer for a while, could you look at the treasure, or could you tell me who to ask?

Also, could anyone please tell me in Sparta's units, what's a Range a Stoa a tower_bolt, and gerosia? And why they aren't in the game? Or walls there are no walls in the game, but they're in the files, why?

Also, what do I say about the theater because Sparta would not have a theater. Actually, could we remove Sparta's theater? They wouldn't have one.

Just a quick look at pull 11, to much duplication, probably should introduce template_gaia_berries and inherit from it in berries_xx.

About grapes, I'd expected a reference to Bacchus/Dionysus.

Also xml is supposed to allow you to format your text without having an effect on the rendered result. So I'd suggest you split your one liners at around the 80 chars boundary.

--

Stoa was part of the game and bolt tower was intended to be part of it, they are available in atlas for use in maps. There are quite a few atlas-only entities.

Just a quick look at pull 11, to much duplication, probably should introduce template_gaia_berries and inherit from it in berries_xx.

Umm what does this mean? That I should make a template and inherit stuff from that? I don't know how to do that. Or where you put it. If you tell me where and how I can do it, but you could also create your own PR. It's a smart idea though.

Also xml is supposed to allow you to format your text without having an effect on the rendered result. So I'd suggest you split your one liners at around the 80 chars boundary.

@hyperion I have no idea what you said there.

About grapes, I'd expected a reference to Bacchus/Dionysus.

Also, I could reference Shezmu or other ditties related to wine.  But I see your point. Baccus was pretty big with wine.  However, sort of rewriting the article to talk about the religious significance of wine, but if you have any ideas...

I'll write articles for structures even if they aren't in the skirmish part of the game, because I'm sure those buildings would be useful when it comes to campaigns.

7 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Umm what does this mean? That I should make a template and inherit stuff from that? I don't know how to do that. Or where you put it. If you tell me where and how I can do it, but you could also create your own PR. It's a smart idea though.

The parent attribute for the Entity element specifies where to inherit from all that isn't explicitly stated in the current template. So yes, my suggestion is to create a berries template inheriting fruit and then inheriting the generic berries one in berries_XX templates. It probably should have been done already but requiring translators to translate the same over and over pushes it past the acceptable limit in my view.

8 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

@hyperion I have no idea what you said there.

One or more white space, be it space tab or newline are all the same. You can simply continue on the next line whenever reaching the 80 chars boundary. Lines that wrap in the editor are to be avoided whenever possible in programming.

8 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Also, I could reference Shezmu or other ditties related to wine.  But I see your point. Baccus was pretty big with wine.  However, sort of rewriting the article to talk about the religious significance of wine, but if you have any ideas...

Well, a sentence like "The soil around the grapes had to be aerated and the vine branches had to be pruned so that more grapes could grow." reads like they already had basic knowledge of wine production, which isn't surprising and not much info at all to be honest. So I'd rather elaborate on the role of wine in antique society, given there where even gods for it that role can't have been shallow. This one isn't a formal issue and so not a blocker, just mentioned it to give a hint as to how to possibly beef it up. Make of it what you want.

9 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I think he's talking about adding one new template berries file, putting the description into it and using it as EntityParent for all the different berry files. Or am I wrong and it doesn't work like this?

• Like 1

The parent attribute for the Entity element specifies where to inherit from all that isn't explicitly stated in the current template. So yes, my suggestion is to create a berries template inheriting fruit and then inheriting the generic berries one in berries_XX templates. It probably should have been done already but requiring translators to translate the same over and over pushes it past the acceptable limit in my view.

OK, and I assume I can put a berry template in the same place as the fruit default template? I think I can figure everything else out.

13 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Did that fix it?

berries_04 duplicates specific name. Also the sentence "These berries have not ripened until autumn." Doesn't add anything meaningful (spec name is Berries after all), so I'd drop it and just inherit the parent.

About formatting, here an example of what I mean:

<History>
      Since ancient times, wild berries have been a viable source of food.
      While caution had to be taken so that poisonous fruit were not
      gathered, the berries, whether they be strawberries, raspberries, or
      blackberries, were one of the few sources of sweetness. Not limited to
      consumption whilst fresh, berries could be dried or squashed and their
      juice fermented.
    </History>

If you need multiple paragraphs and maybe other markup you can file bugs. Images should be possible to implement.

We do need

17 hours ago, hyperion said:

berries_04 duplicates specific name. Also the sentence "These berries have not ripened until autumn." Doesn't add anything meaningful (spec name is Berries after all), so I'd drop it and just inherit the parent.

About formatting, here an example of what I mean:

<History>
      Since ancient times, wild berries have been a viable source of food.
      While caution had to be taken so that poisonous fruit were not
      gathered, the berries, whether they be strawberries, raspberries, or
      blackberries, were one of the few sources of sweetness. Not limited to
      consumption whilst fresh, berries could be dried or squashed and their
      juice fermented.
    </History>

If you need multiple paragraphs and maybe other markup you can file bugs. Images should be possible to implement.

It's an autumn berry, so I wanted to add the bit.

Also, in line imaging formatting (like itallics and stuff) paragraphs indentation, justification and comments for translators are things we're going to need. You mean to say if I open tickets in the bug tracker, people would work on them? I have 0 knowledge of any the programming stuff so I'd be no help.

34 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

You mean to say if I open tickets in the bug tracker, people would work on them?

That's the theory. ;)

35 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I have 0 knowledge of any the programming stuff so I'd be no help.

Me neither, still project lead/devs urge me to create tickets. Just describe the issue and guess with those options; in doubt it'll get corrected. (I also make my tickets super urgent and rank the severity super high. ;) )

So I have done the trees and I figured to make a matching pair encyclopedia entries need to be done for both stone and metal(ore?) I can go into the general basics of why stone and metal were important and in general how they were mined, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Also, I'd like to know what is ore/ metal? Is it a specific metal, or is it metal in general? And is supposed to be valuable metal like gold or useful metal like iron?

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Is it a specific metal, or is it metal in general? And is supposed to be valuable metal like gold or useful metal like iron?

I'd say it's metal in general; alloys have been used for ages in all kinds of ways and all kinds of stuff were made with it.

• Thanks 1