Han China

artoo

Hello modders,

I am artoo, dev of artix linux, and have started the han china standalone mod some time ago.

Despite my rather limited time for a game, I chose to register an account, since the communication on Github is rather non existent. :)

Reason for the thread, I am looking for testers of the current master branch and thus hopefully feedback.

I was also hoping to reach m7600, and if these nice new models for fortress, walls and the big tower could be added. I am basically a coder, not really skilled with images and 3D arts.

Aim of the Han mod is to have a very polished, complete and unique faction, that might be included in the main game as far as I know. For that to happen, in my view, there are some open tasks, just to name nice rice fields as one.

I could coordinate the development of the mod, if required, until inclusion is the offer.

Happy testing.

https://github.com/0ADMods/han_china

Edited by artoo
how to ping user m7600 :D
  • Like 6

I added halberdman templates, introducing a missing unit.

The Ji is technically a halberd, a hybrid weapon of spear and dagger axe. For this reason, it has a slight crush damage, and a range in-between spear and pike, with a 3.5 cav bonus counter.

Han were more or less an infantry focused army, later cavalry played a bigger role, since the Han couldn't quite beat the Xiongnu for quite a time.

Edited by artoo

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Better delete it then. SMH. 

Tang tower is a placeholder, already discussed on GH issue long time ago.

Screenshot from 2021-05-01 09-51-14.png

I much desire to get this one in the mod. :drool:

Leaves only the footprint issue, so either stone tower would not be upgradable, or the big tower gets a smaller footprint to keep upgrade. The big towers are limited to 4 anyway.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, artoo said:

Tang tower is a placeholder, already discussed on GH issue long time ago.

I was just kidding with Stan. He knows I would prefer more assets in the game, even as Atlas objects, than fewer, and even if they are slightly out of time period (Britons/Boudicca shouldn't be in the game, but here we are).

17 minutes ago, artoo said:

Screenshot from 2021-05-01 09-51-14.png

It could be a separate building, acting like a super tower, making it a strategic choice on its placement.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It could be a separate building, acting like a super tower, making it a strategic choice on its placement.

It already is. :yes:

With max 4 big towers, you can create a very strong defensive point from where to launch an attack.

The upgrade from stone tower is optional, but the 4 big towers can also be placed. similar to the fortified CC, but 4 limit. You can also only upgrade 4 stone towers.

han2.png

Edited by artoo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, m7600 said:

And even if I was, that doesn't mean that you can't work on it too

well doing the same work twice is wasting time :D

5 minutes ago, m7600 said:

You're probably going to make something better than me anyways, so go for it.

I mean I will try, but that is an understatement of your work :)

Great, artists take on impossible tasks for myself. :)

Would it be a problem for all contributors to make a feature/patch branch, and not committing to master, so we can merge PRs?

Regarding rice, the current fields are also placeholder. I opted for the little ones, because I find them to scale better than this...

screenshot0256.png

It somehow looks odd in my view, and so rice plant naked.

I think its too tall compared to the females.

Should it be possible to research grain fields and unlock grain? Or should grain be removed once rice is all done and well?

Another idea I had, to make eventually these little pools buildable instead of the while thing together, but this would need a nice rice plant covering for these pools. One female could work on one rice pool.

Edited by artoo

7 hours ago, maroder said:

otherwise I could try to do something based based on these ones

I made a rice-pools branch, it replaces simply the squared rice field with pool variants, and can only be harvested by 1. Its just to play around with and have the meshes, actors, props somewhere. These pools don't have any rice plants or foundation.

Edited by artoo

7 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Google Translate says "rice paddy" = "Dàotián" in Traditional Chinese. Would this be correct? 

I did this with the rammed earth wall, looks good to me, but I don't speak Chinese, a native Chinese speaker might just think gibberish, if it goes as with my language and google translate. :lookaround:

I guess we could use a native Chinese speaker for buildings, units.

14 minutes ago, artoo said:

I did this with the rammed earth wall, looks good to me, but I don't speak Chinese, a native Chinese speaker might just think gibberish, if it goes as with my language and google translate. :lookaround:

I guess we could use a native Chinese speaker for buildings, units.

Luckily, the translation for Rice Paddy is "verified" by Google Translators:

Reviewed by contributors
This translation was marked as correct by Google Translate users.