Elephants Too Strong Against Stone Walls

Thales

All units would consume food, cavalry more than infantry and elephants far more than either. Chariots would consume a lot too.

You would need two new units, a supply cart and some sort of mobile store, the van of classical armies. Having to plan supply drops would make a more interesting game and far more realistic. Huge armies camped away from home would require planning and attacking the enemies supply convoys  becomes an option. Your soldiers can also hunt to supply the van, living off the land

• Confused 1

Could this be an option to be toggled before the game starts? Thus, people who don't like this idea could play 0ad as before.

What happens when chariots/ supply wagons get destroyed? Would units depending on them just die (starve), or rather abandon the troops and try collecting food (and maybe other resources) in the vicinity? (thus, the player would lose control over them?) I assume that it's quite realistic that troops without enough resources deserted in history, maybe except for some fierce/ elite units (that would stay until they starved).

5 hours ago, Ceres said:

Could this be an option to be toggled before the game starts? Thus, people who don't like this idea could play 0ad as before.

I don't think it sounds like fun, but I don't really see it coming.

Should it actually be implemented I gonna push for the inclusion of latrines, sore feet (sore butts for cav) and STDs to add depth and realism. :p

• Like 1

IMPERIVM series has supply vagons, I loved that game. Rise of Nations also has something like those, but not really fun in the way they work, I think. In alpha 24, battles would generally last a lot more than now in A25, and a constant stream of reinforcements was often important for victory; this was not very different in practice from a supply chain as being asked, and I liked that strategic dimension of the game. This kind of things doesn't have to be forced into the game, but can be "made happen" in the way that feels more natural for the game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ceres said:

What happens when chariots/ supply wagons get destroyed? Would units depending on them just die (starve), or rather abandon the troops and try collecting food (and maybe other resources) in the vicinity? (thus, the player would lose control over them?) I assume that it's quite realistic that troops without enough resources deserted in history, maybe except for some fierce/ elite units (that would stay until they starved).

Or return to home territory. I am thinking about something like aura from civic centres, military camps and fortresses that keeps home troops fed, otherwise too much micromanagement is needed. Similarly women and traders should not depend on logistics anywhere.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

if you ask for my opinion, I think that resources system should be changed to:

there is no resources shown (or showing the sum) in the upper bar, every resource is stored where it was putted.

when you order the workers to build they get the materials from the storehouses or harvest it by themselves.

you can transfer the resources from a storehouse to anywhere else. this is how you trade, support allies, supply your units.

barracks need to have the resources near it to recruit units.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, man_s_our said:

if you ask for my opinion, I think that resources system should be changed to:

there is no resources shown (or showing the sum) in the upper bar, every resource is stored where it was putted.

when you order the workers to build they get the materials from the storehouses or harvest it by themselves.

you can transfer the resources from a storehouse to anywhere else. this is how you trade, support allies, supply your units.

barracks need to have the resources near it to recruit units.

That's an unnecessary complication. If you want to play such a game, maybe try Widelands.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 1:17 AM, Dasaavawar said:

Elephants are too OP. Everytime I play with a friend and this guy introduces like 40 Elephants in the battlefield, I know I'm already defeated.

They should be more expensive at least in terms of food (from 4 to 5 times the cost of horses, around 600 to 800 of food) and require more population available (and probably a lot of others things).

40?