couldn't find building missing to get p3

seeh

18 hours ago, Stan` said:

That would be https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/selection_panels_right/construction_panel.xml

As we don't support dynamic object creation in XML (e.g creating as many buttons as buildings) we have to hardcode 40, and hide the remaining buttons if we don't use all of them.

<object name="unitConstructionPanel" size="6 6 100% 100%">
  <object>
    <repeat count="40">
      <object name="unitConstructionButton[n]" hidden="true" style="iconButton" type="button" size="0 0 38 38" tooltip_style="sessionToolTipBottom">
        <object name="unitConstructionIcon[n]" type="image" ghost="true" size="3 3 35 35"/>
      </object>
    </repeat>
  </object>
</object>

Then stuff is hardcoded in https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/selection_panels.js

Which calls https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/gui/session/unit_commands.js to get the building list

Which calls the GuiInterface

https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components/GuiInterface.js For all units currently selected it checks whether it can build stuff, and whether the stuff it can build was already added to the list

GuiInterface.prototype.GetAllBuildableEntities = function(player, cmd)
{
	let buildableEnts = [];
	for (let ent of cmd.entities)
	{
		let cmpBuilder = Engine.QueryInterface(ent, IID_Builder);
		if (!cmpBuilder)
			continue;

for (let building of cmpBuilder.GetEntitiesList())
			if (buildableEnts.indexOf(building) == -1)
				buildableEnts.push(building);
	}
	return buildableEnts;
};

@Stan`

Thank you! I would like to open a new ticket for an enhancement about showing which buildings are needed for progression to the next phase. Is this appropriate to proceed? I think that a ticket could be helpful but am not sure how things work around this, hence my question.

I meant which developers or any other contributors should I ask whether they agree to add information in the GUI about which structures are needed to progress to the next phase. I wanted to open a ticket for this and am willing to contribute as well, but Stan said that we need to ask the devs - see his post above. Hence my question. And I know some of the names of the devs but not many. :blush:

Edited by Ceres
typo corrected - my spare keyboard is a pain

@Gurken Khan

I created ticket 6315 and assume that it will be discussed what works best and can be implemented in which way. As far as I can see it, nothing is carved in stone and nothing has been decided yet. Please feel free to further offer your opinions (which you just did with your screenshot - thank you :)). Furthermore, please look into the ticket where @Langbart mentioned an indeed very nice proposal by @maroder (thanks as well for this :)), pasted here for your and everybody else's convenience. I like his idea very much to separate the 3 phases by gaps. Maybe we could even add the No. (I, II, III) on top, but that does not seem necessary from my point of view. On top, we could add/better describe the required buildings/structures as you have shown. TBD... ;)

proposal.jpg

@Ceres To be honest, I'm somewhat skeptical about your approach. You didn't answer my question from my previous post:

17 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Just to make sure: you're working on putting that [II] symbol on seven icons?

The reason I asked is that I don't think we see the problem the same way; specifically I'm not sure if putting the [II] thingy on seven of the twelve icons will make it easier for players to understand the requirements for phasing up.

In the discussion for the ticket you linked you wrote

the definitions which buildings/structures are needed to progress to phase II and III

which is somewhat different to how I see it. You can put a [II] on the barracks, but one doesn't need barracks to phase up!

On 05/09/2021 at 4:09 PM, Gurken Khan said:

I'd like to throw in that they count towards the requirement to phase up, but are not actually needed.

Regarding marder's proposal: I think the phases and the buildings available are already clearly shown and separated. I'm not sure what it would improve if they were shown in columns instead; and in my opinion the phases would definitely have to be indicated.

The core of the problem, as I see it, is that the classes of the buildings are not obvious. My suggestions:

1. include the 'Classes' line in the tooltips for the buildings

2. explain the requirements for phasing up in the info (as in my previous post)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I think the phases and the buildings available are already clearly shown and separated.

By that you probably mean the greyed out part and the tooltips?

I can just say that from my point of view this is not ordered nor separated:

screenshot1112.png.22b467273faaf05b640306d62f9c5424.png

And even worse when you select buildings and units:

screenshot1113.png.ad311e2d0955e1d4f26163d930664eaf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To answer your @Gurken Khan's question first: To place the II (or III) symbols was just an (maybe not too bright) idea from me. I am happy to further discuss, as I feel myself uncertain what is exactly missing. Besides, different players have different expectations. ;) Now to wrap this up: Is my understanding correct that we should follow @maroder's proposal about grouping? I find it quite useful. If further information (e.g. classes) could be added in a nice way, even better. We have to keep in mind, though, that we should not clutter the whole GUI with too much info, as the players might simply get overwhelmed.

8 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Is my understanding correct that we should follow @maroder's proposal about grouping?

I frankly don't care. :)  If there are (sufficient) people who find it useful I won't mind it. I guess. Although I don't see the benefit. I know what phase I'm in and I see what I can build either way; the rest is grayed out, either way.

And since it will show stuff like towers it doesn't do anything to make the phasing up requirements more obvious.

I.e., you are in favour of what you wrote just before, right?

The core of the problem, as I see it, is that the classes of the buildings are not obvious. My suggestions:

1. include the 'Classes' line in the tooltips for the buildings

2. explain the requirements for phasing up in the info (as in my previous post)

Edited by Ceres

I support Ceres' idea of the phasing icon on buildings thumbnails, as long as it disappears when phasing up becomes possible. It is useful for many reasons:

- it clearly, graphically, shows which are the buildings that allow phasing up. Not the tower, just the real ones. 

- Because the icon doesn't disappear when you have already built one building of that sort, it subtly suggests that one more still counts. This cannot replace a clear reading of the rules, of course, but not everyone likes reading rules. If people can learn by playing, that's better

- Disappearing when all the requirements are met, it can help players realize how the count works. I'd have appreciated this feature last time I played carth, because I'd forgotten 20 pop houses counted.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...