Delenda Est Alpha 25 Released

wowgetoffyourcellphone

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

Dear Justus, thanks a lot for creating and updating this great mod! :thumbsup:

I have a problem with it, though, and hope that you have some hints for me to find the reason for my problem. I DLed this mod (with a25 build 25848, Windows 10) on 3 PCs with different results:

• On the 1st PC, after the DL the mod would not even show up in the list of enabled mods. Neither saving config and restarting, nor DLing once more helped. There was no error message.
  • On the 2nd PC, after DL the mod showed up as enabled. After saving config and restarting, it still showed up as enabled, but the start image and everything else was as usual. There was no error message.
  • On the 3rd PC, after DL the mod showed up as enabled. After saving config and restarting, the new start image showed an elephant with soldiers on top and at the top of the screen it said "Delenda est" etc. However, after restarting (I should have first started a game to see if the mod worked as expected), everything was back to usual, i.e. the original start image. ReDLing, saving config, and restarting did not help. There was no error message.

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Edited by Ceres

A re-release is another minor version of the game. A23b and A24b were minor re-releases of A23 and A24 respectively.

Usually it comes from a lack of thorough testing and sometimes a lack of quality control of the patches which is a bit sad.

You can download it from the main website and you need to reinstall the game yes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ceres said:

@Stan`

I DLed it manually from https://0ad.mod.io/delenda-est and opened the zip file with pyrogenesis.exe. After going to the mods settings in the game, I enabled it, saved the config, and restarted 0 A.D. On 2 PCs, it now works! :) However, not on the 3rd PC, and I don't know why. :(

Are you running the version 25860 version of the game on all those machines ?

@Stan` No, 25848 - oops. :blush: Where is 25860?

On 28/05/2021 at 5:11 PM, mysticjim said:

Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Testing Thread.

This thread will become active as soon as Pre-release/Release builds of Alpha 25 are available.

Check back for updates.

Edited by Ceres

Ah, you had meant 0 A.D. re-release and I understood re-release of the mod. :laugh:

The re-release installer (Windows) wants to create a shortcut named "0 A.D. alpha 25 RC". Is the re-release still a Release Candidate?

grafik.png.87cd9766358cd36b4b598abc18c9c1a9.png

@Stan`

Please ignore this, as on 3 PCs the installer proposed 3 different names:

• 0 A.D. alpha
  • 0 A.D. alpha RC
  • 0 A.D. alpha 25 RC

I have no clue why, but probably, this is not relevant at all, as the users can change it anyway. ;)

Edited by Ceres

Hm, I'm still struggling with the installation of the re-release on 2 PCs. My guess is that the problems are due to me installing 0 A.D. for non-admin users.

PS:

As I suspected, the problem sits in front of my PC. :blush: I should not have messed with local 0 A.D. installations on the kids' PCs via scoop and then on top (as admin) the installation of the re-release. I major messed things up. :jester: Well, it should work soon after having cleaned up Augias'  - sorry, my own - barn. :D

PS2:

Lo and behold - it now works on all 3 PCs - and is just great fun! :) Thanks to @wowgetoffyourcellphone and all others!

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

Is it ok to report here bugs or questions about your mod? Here is one minor thing:

I select a light (Han Chinese) warship and its description is shown. However, when I double click on it and all three (visible on the screen) are selected together, the description box is cleared/empty; only the number of 3 is shown. Alas, I have no screenshot, as I used Windows' function, which does not keep previous ones. :( Next time, I will be sure to use 0 A.D.'s built-in screenshot function.

Here is one that shows another (minor) problem: After a game's end, I went to the stats and then left. The main screen is shown, but with the stats still in the background.

1.png

6 minutes ago, Ceres said:

select a light (Han Chinese) warship and its description is shown. However, when I double click on it and all three (visible on the screen) are selected together, the description box is cleared/empty; only the number of 3 is shown. Alas, I have no screenshot, as I used Windows' function, which does not keep previous ones. :( Next time, I will be sure to use 0 A.D.'s built-in screenshot function.

Probably a simple template fix. Might have accidentally left out the SelectionGroup line in the light warship's template.

9 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Here is one that shows another (minor) problem: After a game's end, I went to the stats and then left. The main screen is shown, but with the stats still in the background

Here I am stumped. I have never run across something like this before. @Stan`? @Freagarach @s0600204?

Could the latter be a result of switching from fullscreen to windowed mode? When using Windows' screenshot tool while running 0 A.D. in fullscreen mode, it seemed (briefly) switching to windowed mode and back again. I have seen this also when Windows messages pop up (e.g. mouse battery low); therefore, I disable all messages during gameplay, but that does not help when using Windows screenshot tool (Alt + Shift + S). I should not use it anymore, I guess. Maybe for you it's not worth to bother more about it.

Another quick question:

What can we do with captured Gaia horses? They belong to the player and can even be garrisoned in a horse barn. Sorry in case I have overseen the obvious (or failed to read some hints about it).

I definitely like this mod very much. Thanks a lot for it! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

What can we do with captured Gaia horses? They belong to the player and can even be garrisoned in a horse barn. Sorry in case I have overseen the obvious (or failed to read some hints about it).

Each captured horse benefits your cavalry. Garrison them into a Corral or Stable to keep them safe. Hover over their portrait to see the exact benefit! :)

I found it weird that horses were treated the same as deer or sheep. Should definitely look into adding this to the base game.

• Like 2

Thank you! :)Some other things I observed/I have questions about:

Would you like to consider the addition of a short explanation on the screen where the heroes are displayed? E.g. "Select your hero..." or something similar and with additional text (just brief) about what this means during the game, e.g.: "You can train this hero in your civic centre". Or should it be obvious enough to the players?

Is it intended to be able to train a hero already from the very beginning (i.e. no need to come to phase II oder III first)?

Furthermore, the match starts already before one has selected a hero. I.e., if I study the currently available information and am hesitant which one to select, the enemy (also team mates? I have not checked this) has already created buildings etc. Is this on purpose or are there plans to pause the game until all participants have found their hero? (which would be preferable from my point of view - similar to the "I am ready" button on the previous screen where you select the team, maps, etc.)

Thank you! :)Some other things I observed/I have questions about:

Would you like to consider the addition of a short explanation on the screen where the heroes are displayed? E.g. "Select your hero..." or something similar and with additional text (just brief) about what this means during the game, e.g.: "You can train this hero in your civic centre". Or should it be obvious enough to the players?

Is it intended to be able to train a hero already from the very beginning (i.e. no need to come to phase II oder III first)?

Furthermore, the match starts already before one has selected a hero. I.e., if I study the currently available information and am hesitant which one to select, the enemy (also team mates? I have not checked this) has already created buildings etc. Is this on purpose or are there plans to pause the game until all participants have found their hero? (which would be preferable from my point of view - similar to the "I am ready" button on the previous screen where you select the team, maps, etc.)

PS:

How I can help translate your mod? Is it in Transifex? Do you use shared strings with vanilla a25 plus your extra strings for new stuff, or do you have all your strings separate?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ceres said:

I like the way Hyrule: Conquest does it better, as it shows you details of each hero as you select them and then you click a button to choose. I don't have the skills to make anything like that though.

Yes, this is intended. (y) You can use your hero at the start to boost your econ or go scouting or any number of things.

Yes, I would like to background pause the match until the heroes are chosen, but again I will need help with that.

How I can help translate your mod? Is it in Transifex? Do you use shared strings with vanilla a25 plus your extra strings for new stuff, or do you have all your strings separate?

The mod currently is in a lot of flux. Ima wait to worry about translations until it's more stable.

• Like 1

I constantly lose track. Where should I start? I have basic programming skills, but none about the more modern languages (in my case it means everything younger than 30+ years ;)). Is JS easier than C++ (and would it help three project if I got involved with it)? Sorry for getting OT.

Well you already got the development version of the game so I suppose by browsing the js code.

If you're interested in random map generation that would be

binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random

global scripts are in

binaries/data/mods/public/globalscripts

components like the ones handling unit behaviors are in

binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components

They can call global scripts and helper scripts

binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers

All things related to the user interface is organised in pages and is here

binaries/data/mods/public/gui

You might find more documentation here https://docs.wildfiregames.com/

• Like 2

Thanks! I needed to setup my dev environment anew, as my old but hitherto robust PC gave up on me (some mainboard problem). Now I set up Debian virtually on a Synology NAS, and could build pyrogenesis from SVN. And it works. :)

grafik.png.2087afb96b75c9c38887d3423e583248.png

TIMER| pregame/styles.xml: 558.737 us
TIMER| pregame/mainmenu.xml: 362.835 ms
TIMER| common/modern/setup.xml: 243.69 us
TIMER| common/modern/styles.xml: 162.084 us
TIMER| common/modern/sprites.xml: 2.14158 ms
TIMER| common/global.xml: 512.082 us
TIMER| common/sprites.xml: 809.887 us
TIMER| splashscreen/setup.xml: 1.53925 ms
TIMER| splashscreen/splashscreen.xml: 27.6566 ms
TIMER| common/modern/setup.xml: 235.093 us
TIMER| common/modern/styles.xml: 175.439 us
TIMER| common/modern/sprites.xml: 1.89724 ms
TIMER| msgbox/msgbox.xml: 30.928 ms
TIMER| shutdown TexMan: 2.476 us
TIMER| shutdown Renderer: 1.4431 ms
TIMER| shutdown SDL: 29.906 ms
TIMER| shutdown UserReporter: 153.719 us
TIMER| shutdown ConfigDB: 86.874 us
TIMER| resource modules: 399.324 ms
TIMER TOTALS (9 clients)
-----------------------------------------------------
  tc_pool_alloc: 144.77 kc (52x)
  tc_png_decode: 766.76 Mc (49x)
  tc_dds_transform: 72.966 kc (56x)
  tc_transform: 88.8105 Mc (53x)
  tc_plain_transform: 88.4793 Mc (48x)
  tc_ShaderGLSLLink: 0 c (0x)
  tc_ShaderGLSLCompile: 0 c (0x)
  tc_ShaderValidation: 47.0598 Mc (2x)
  xml_validation: 154.824 kc (1x)
-----------------------------------------------------
TIMER| shutdown misc: 486.122 us
user@Debian:~/0ad/binaries/system$ 

Sorry to be (very) OT here, but I'm so glad to have made a little progress at least with some prerequisites. Building with Debian seems easier (for me) than with VS in Windows. ;) When I get my PC back to work (and I'm confident), I will install Debian natively. The GFX is a GTX 1650, which should then be decent enough.

I have no idea about IRC. Do I first have to register with a personal account? Do I need an invitation or something?

Wishing all of you a nice and relaxed remainder of the day/evening! :)

Edited by Ceres